U2 New Album Prep Play List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
Since the new album is supposed to be a straight out rock and roll album (with a U2 twist of course) I went back last night and made this play list to (hopefully) prep me for the new album coming out in what seems like 20 years.

1. Discotheque (new mix)
2. Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
3. Heartland (not sure why but it seemed to fit in there)
4. A Day Without Me
5. Big Girls Are Best
6. The Fly (lounge Fly Mix)
7. Last Night On Earth (single version)
8. Lemon (Jeep Mix)
9. Gone (new mix)
10.God Part II
11.Out Of Control
12.New York (nice mix)
13.Beat On The Brat
14.Stateless
15.Indian Summer Sky
16.Spanish Eyes
17.Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
18.Walk On (single version)

Listening to this mix made me come to some realizations. Lemon (stripped down and funked up) would be a great song to add to the set list. Also, I have a prediction that Big Girls Are Best and Holy Joe the Garage Mix might be an indicator of what we're gonna get. Maybe not exact but in that area, which would be fine by me.

Rafiennes said:
Also, I have a prediction that Big Girls Are Best and Holy Joe the Garage Mix might be an indicator of what we're gonna get. Maybe not exact but in that area, which would be fine by me.
Two Pop left-overs are indications of what they're up to seven years later?

Re: Re: U2 New Album Prep Play List

typhoon said:

Two Pop left-overs are indications of what they're up to seven years later?

Why not? Wasn't POP supposed to be the rock album 7 years ago? Wasn't U2 supposed to revisit the War sound? Didn't Bono declare that the grunge music during that time was just 70's rehash and U2 wanted to teach the current bands how to rock? (See Hot Press interview circa 1995 or 1996) Well, Pop didn't quite turn out to be like that so I won't be surprised if the new album won't rock as you all would expect.

Cheers,

J

I was just thinking about this the other day!

The Predicator / Indicator Songs

1. Night And Day ? right on the money ? like a hand in a glove it would have fit excellently between Until The End and Wild Horses.
2. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Kill Me ? I think for the most part it?s right on the money ? like a hand in a glove it would have fit excellently between Discotheque and Do You Feel Loved.
3. Sweetest Thing (98) / Don?t Take Your Guns To Town (99) / The Ground Beneath Her Feet (2000) - right on the money ? like a hand in a glove they would have fit?? - all 3 predict-indicate the brightness / joy / sunshine of ATYCLB - musically and vocally (not as much lyrically) Sweetest Thing and Don?t Take Your Guns To Town flow very well with Wild Honey. The middle section of ATYCLB could nicely be:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
In A Little While
Sweetest Thing
Wild Honey
Don?t Take Your Guns To Town
4. Electrical Storm (Band Version not Orbit Version) (I imagine for sure) ? Beat On The Brat (likely) ? the way Bono is talking about the new album Holy Joe (Garage Mix) could be a good predicator.

Album Precursor Songs

1. Trip Through Your Wires for R&H?
2. God Part ll for AB?
3. Daddy?s Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car for Pop?
4. Staring At The Sun for ATYCLB? Or B-Side North And South Of The River?
5. Beautiful Day (guitar in the chorus & at the end) / Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) / New York (guitar in the chorus) for the new album?

Good call on Out Of Control. They seemed to fall in love with it again during the 3rd Leg of the Elevation. A raw rocking song. Did it inspire them with ideas for the new album? Lemon (Jeep Mix) I'll have to track that one down.

With Bono talking about the new album as being ?full on guitar playing? / ?The Edge is just on fire? / "pedal to the metal" and "high-energy, joyous rock and roll" / "?Full Metal Jacket? - It's the roughest, it's the mother of all rock and roll tunes? / ?punk rock made on Venus? / ?full-throttle record? / and The Edge saying it?s ?just a very raw rock n' roll album? / that "Electrical Storm" will probably be a "connecting point to our next record" / listening to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / etc. maybe the best precursor to (and preparation for) the new album is listening to their early ones or making a Best Of U2?s First Trilogy?

BOY

I Will Follow (3:36)
Twilight (4:22)
An Cat Dubh (6:21)
Into the Heart (1:53)
Out of Control (4:13)
Stories for Boys (3:02)
The Ocean (1:34)
A Day Without Me (3:14)
Another Time, Another Place (4:34)
The Electric Co. (4:48)
Shadows and Tall Trees (4:36)

OCTOBER

Gloria (4:13)
I Fall Down (3:40)
I Threw a Brick Through a Window (4:55)
Rejoice (3:37)
Fire (3:50)
Tomorrow (4:37)
October (2:22)
With a Shout (4:03)
Stranger in a Strange Land (3:56)
Scarlet (2:54)
Is That All (3:01)

WAR

Sunday Bloody Sunday (4:38)
Seconds (3:24)
New Year's Day (5:38)
Like a Song (4:48)
Drowning Man (4:12)
The Refugee (3:40)
Two Hearts Beat as One (4:01)
Red Light (4:09)
Surrender (6:01)
40 (2:35)

BEST OF EARLY U2

1. I Will Follow (3:36)
2. Out of Control (4:25) (Sweetest Thing single)
3. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (4:43) (Under A Blood Red Sky)
4. The Electric Co. (4:58) (Under A Blood Red Sky)
5. Rejoice (3:37)
6. Drowning Man (4:12)
7. October (2:22)
8. New Year's Day (5:38)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (4:38)
10. Gloria (4:44) (Under A Blood Red Sky)
11. A Celebration (2:57)
12. I Threw a Brick Through a Window / A Day Without Me (6:58) (NYD single)
13. Seconds (3:24)
14. Like a Song (4:48)
15. Tomorrow (4:37)
16. Scarlet (2:54)

Back
Top Bottom