U2 mentioned in msn.com story about lip-synching.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
The story is about Shania Twain's Super Bowl performance on whether she lip-synched or not. They refer to U2's performance last year and they say Bono's vocals and Edge's guitar were live, but the rhytmn section was pre-recorded. Does that mean Adam and Larry faked it? I thought all four of them sounded live to me.
Here's the link to the article if anyone is interested.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2077781/

if they mean that the keyboards, drum loop, and some backing vocals are sequenced and triggered by the edge, then they are right. if they mean larry and adam didn't play live, they are wrong.

They were live. Edge always handles some of the pre-arranged stuff, but the main stuff was done then and there.

Yup, she lipsync'd..... She did sing live at the American Music Awards earlier this month, her voice was much more ragged (still decent) there.

It is very difficult to get good sound in a stadium without a large setup and soundcheck. I can't blame a "pop" star for being afraid of the results. Even Kiss lipsync'd at the superbowl a couple of years ago, now THAT was dissapointing!

I watched her perform - and I knew it was lip-synched when she went into the crowd. People were reaching and grabbing for her (as they did with Bono), but at one point, as she tried to get away from the arms (which contrasts Bono - who usually thrives on that attention), one could hear her singing, yet it was clearly visible that her mouth was not moving and the microphone wasn't near her face. It was just a token word or two before Twain corrected herself, but it was all that was needed, IMO, to prove she was faking it.

Besides, if Bono was faking it, do you really think he'd let himself sound as scratchy as he did at the Super Bowl? I'm sure he'd much rather have that gorgeous voice he had a few weeks later at the Grammy's. :yes:

I know I am misquoting so don't shoot me :evil: but I remember last year at the press conference before the superbowl someone asked if the band was going to play live or prerecord their performance and Bono responded by saying they don't know how to play any other way than live:yes:

Back
Top Bottom