U2 May be THE band of Tomorrow (1981 review)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
The Grand Rapids Press

24 years ago: U2 played at Fountain Street Church
Thursday, May 04, 2006
By Mark Newman
The Grand Rapids Press

Editor's note: The following concert review appeared in the Grand Rapids Press on Dec. 7, 1981, under the headline "U2 May Be THE Band of Tomorrow.

U2 hardly fits the choirboy image, but the Irish rock band found a perfect Saturday night sanctuary in Fountain Street Church.

The Dublin boys had some 1,100 fans on their feet for a spirited one-hour set that baptized the locals in the joyous, mystical gospel of U2. Its sermon of rock tunes with religious overtones won over new followers.

U2 could be the band of tomorrow.

Coming from an island torn by strife, U2 has refused to look back at that tragic, disheartening human conflict. Instead the group has chosen to push forward to the promise of brighter days to come.

In that sense, the group's boyish enthusiasm embodies a hope for the future of rock. U2's songs exhibit an energetic optimism for the coming age.

There is no denying the spiritual, uplifting feeling found in the band's music. Its sound is indicative of the reformation of rock set in motion by the new wave movement. Yet there is something dark and mysterious about U2.

Part of the ambiguous quality comes from the group's born-again beliefs. Even though the band remains protective of its Christian convictions -- three members reportedly do not smoke or drink -- the religious references are there, although somewhat disguised.

U2 gave an inspiring show Saturday in spite of the fact that lead singer Bono was plagued with stomach ills. The Irish lads cut their set short by three songs to give Bono a break from the pains which have persisted for a week.

From the triumphant chorus of the opening song, "Gloria," to the misty breeze of the finale, "Ocean," U2 made its message loud and clear. These musicians have set their sights on the heavens.

It didn't seem like the band had any trouble feeling comfortable in the church setting.

"This is a great building," Bono said early in the show. "We're mighty proud to be here."

Although U2 had performed in churches on several previous occasions, bass player Adam Clayton said it's not that easy to spark an audience.

"Churches were designed by architects to create reverence and awe in those who enter them," Clayton said. "Actually, it's not the ideal place for rock-n-roll, but we can overcome that."

U2 wasted little time in getting the Fountain Street crowd hopping to its beat. "With A Shout," "Rejoice," "Electric Co.," "Twilight," "Out of Control," and "Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock" were exciting numbers.

Also captivating were the often brooding, shadowy tones of "I Fall Down" and "October." The piano -- played by The Edge -- added an extra dash of interpretation to the sparkling mood created by U2 in both songs.

Singer Bono was a dynamo on stage. If he was not feeling well, it certainly didn't show. Bono belted out impassioned lyrics while jumping around the set, shaking his shaggy hair in satisfaction.

The Edge was razor sharp on the guitar, cutting a sound that gave his ax a dual quality which almost made the listener think he heard two guitars. Clayton's brash thumping on the bass and drummer Larry's steady punch on his set filled out the U2 sound.

Since the theme is 1981, here's a snippet from U2's first interview with an American writer:

"At this point, U2's future looks bright. The band has managed to deal level-headedly with its sudden popularity in the UK. In addition they've shunned such traditional rock and roll pitfalls as booze and drugs. Finally, the band is willing to work. A three month U.S. trek will begin in March, and Bono is, as usual, confident about the band's chances in the States. "Right now, the word is 'go!' for U2", he says. "It is my ambition to travel to America and give it what I consider it wants and needs."
"

ntalwar said:
Since the theme is 1981, here's a snippet from U2's first interview with an American writer:

"At this point, U2's future looks bright. The band has managed to deal level-headedly with its sudden popularity in the UK....... I.....Finally, the band is willing to work. A three month U.S. trek will begin in March, and Bono is, as usual, confident about the band's chances in the States. "Right now, the word is 'go!' for U2", he says. "It is my ambition to travel to America and give it what I consider it wants and needs."
"

Actually this is NOT trhe First Interview with an AMERICAN Writer..... ALTHO it may be the FIRST PRINTED ONE!

The one I'm going to cite may not be the first writer either but..... it's damn close :wink:

One of the very first American Reviews of U2 in England-- The ? Battle For Britain Tour/ Marquee Club- London was done by the 2nd Editor of {in a Fall 1980 issue} New Yorker Rocker {one of the early premier newspapers on NYC Punk/new wave, and over time expanding coverage elsewhere as the scene grew}, who flew over to check up on the latest bands in Great Britain etc.

He said " these guys really connect with The Audience, they have Anthemic songs, and they are very ambitious. paraphrase " if these guys can keep it together.....they could make it to STADIUM Level..."

Yes that above was from a a concert review but the very next morning he interview the whole band...in their rented London flat.......

......only they didn't print THAT interview till ?April or May of 1981....:hmm: MAYBE closer to when Boy was released here in the USA.

I read that'80 review and was "alerted" and very interested to hear & see these guys. I missed:madspit: them in 80/81, but got Boy etc, and have seen them pretty much ever since then.

Last edited:
dazzledbylight said:

Actually this is NOT trhe First Interview with an AMERICAN Writer..... ALTHO it may be the FIRST PRINTED ONE!

The one I'm going to cite may not be the first writer either but..... it's damn close :wink:

Great story there. Yeah - the one I listed was probably the first American writeup (mentioned in the 1st U2 magazine):

U2's FIRST AMERICAN WRITE-UP!
RS 19.2.81

U2: HERE COMES THE 'NEXT BIG THING'
by James Henke

Another Bono quote from it:

"I don't mean to sound arrogant," he tells me after the dancing has died down, "but even at this stage, I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. There's a certain spark, a certain chemistry, that was special about the Stones, the Who and the Beatles, and I think it's also special about U2."

Actually - here's a link to it:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7088993/u2_here_comes_the_next_big_thing

Last edited:
ntalwar said:

Great story there. Yeah - the one I listed was probably the first American writeup (mentioned in the 1st U2 magazine):

U2's FIRST AMERICAN WRITE-UP!
RS 19.2.81

U2: HERE COMES THE 'NEXT BIG THING'
by James Henke

Another Bono quote from it:

"I don't mean to sound arrogant," he tells me after the dancing has died down, "but even at this stage, I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. There's a certain spark, a certain chemistry, that was special about the Stones, the Who and the Beatles, and I think it's also special about U2."

Actually - here's a link to it:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7088993/u2_here_comes_the_next_big_thing

Jesus, Bono really IS A PROPHET !, or, BONO IS GOD ?, sorry I forgot that.

Back
Top Bottom