U2 made me botch my job interview!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
So today I had a 2nd inteview for a HUGE and PRESTIGIOUS job. It just so happens that my using a U2 quote on my resume didn't hinder me in any way. In my first interview, my prospective boss (the Executive Director) asked me if I was "an idealist" and of course I had to go into great detail about just how idealistic I am, so out came the "have you ever heard of U2?" answer, and I got into how U2 influenced me to get into Amnesty and charitable causes at age 16 and blah blah blah....and he said "Oh, right! That's Bono, right? I remember you quoted U2 on your resume!" (if he hires me, he's not going to hear the end of it! lol!)

So that was fine, but today, I was sitting being interviewed by the same guy, and another person. I had my CD walkman in my bag with a new boot of Larry's B-day show. (Thanks to SheIsRaging!)

He starts to tell me all kinds of complicated stuff about the job, in particular about their database. I am sitting there nodding intently, but I can hear that the walkman has turned itself on, and U2 is blasting Elevation away in my purse and it's very easy to hear!!! This is extremely distracting. As I sat there with a frozen smile on my face, trying to look intelligent, I was wondering if they could hear my walkman, how I could subtly turn it off, etc. As soon as he paused, I casually bent down and switched it off.

Then of course, he had to say "SO, with that in mind how would you use our database to mine 100,000 or so of our best clients and what type of information do you think you would need for this particular project?"

I hadn't a HOT CLUE WHAT TO SAY!!!! So I totally faked it. He probably thinks I am completely vacuous.
redface.gif

Anyway, the job is very high pressure (I'd have to raise $48 million in revenue a year!), and the guy actually said they couldn't afford to make a mistake in who they are hiring. While I'd get a huge raise and a cool office, I am having a hard time reconciling my laziness with my ambition. So, if I don't get the job it's not the end of the world.

I leave it all up to fate!

Note to all of you: make sure walkman is turned off when you go into interviews!! LOL!
biggrin.gif

Thats a brill story! lol reminds me of a job interview I went for a few months ago being interviewed by two women, and I had mentioned U2 on my CV! One of them was a Spandau Ballet fan so I guess she liked 80's music! They asked me a question that was "What would you best friend be saying about you if he could see you now?" which incidently, he works for the place I was being interviewed at, and my reply was "he would probably say, did you manage to shut him up about U2?" Lol gave them a laugh anyway!

By the way didn't get the job but only cos I could not start in a week's time like they wanted, mate said if it wasn't for that I would of got the job!

That's an awesome story Jess. I don't imagine that he will hold that against you. After all it was just a mistake. Most likely he will hire you, and tease you about it later. It seems like it would be a great job for you. Let us know when you hear back about it!! Good luck
biggrin.gif

... And if you don't get it, then you always have your dancing career to fall back on
wink.gif

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Lol, sorry to hear that, Mrs. Edge. At least you have a funny story to tell.

I can sympathize. The same thing with the walkman happened to me in English class. I had a U2 burned cd in my player and it was sitting in my purse. Apparently it turned on and I didn't hear it until everyone in the class was quiet and writing. I felt like such an ass. I reached down and turned it off without looking. I don't know if anyone noticed, cause I sat in the back of the classroom (alphabetical order has it's advantages) but I was still embarassed. I've since then discovered the "hold" button. Wonderful invention, it prevents against such things.

------------------
Who's gonna ride your wild horses?

Won't you kiss me on that MIDNIGHT STREET, sweep me OFF MY FEET, singing 'ain't this life SO SWEET?' -David Gray

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

[This message has been edited by madonna's child (edited 03-26-2002).]

If you don't get the job, complain to U2 and maybe they will take pity and sign you up to work for PM!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
hehe. Hey, a girl can dream out loud, can't she?
wink.gif

As a person who has hired people, I can say this - I look for personality a bit more than general skills. Granted, perhaps a more senior position like yours needs a very specialized skill set. But then, if you didn't have that skill set, would you even be there interviewing? A person can always be trained for new skills. Even at the advanced level, people are "trained" to some extent. There are always new things to learn - if there weren't, many of us wouldn't be motivated to take on a new job. However, one can't train a personality. If you don't blend in, then that could cause a major problem.

Unless your interviewer was one of those anal jerks who expects candidates to think exactly like he does, he was really testing to see how you think on your feet. During the interview, I will mostly see how people respond to me and how they respond to the work as I discuss it. If they are disinterested, with eyes drifting (or God forbid, yawning - and I have had some do that), then I'm not interested in them. I want to see what they would be to work with on a daily basies. But I also throw out a token "challenging" question just to see how they think. If they look at me like a doe staring at headlights, then I know that they are just "doers" - which for most of my positions, is simply not enough. I need someone who does more than just follow my orders - I need someone who can think for him or herself.

Therefore, even though you may have felt you botched that question, the truth is, most likely it wasn't a simple answer. The interviewer wanted to see if (a) you were paying attention and (b) if you could think on your feet. If you felt you were able to do at least decent here, then I wouldn't worry. Besides, you could have answered the question brilliantly and you may have a splendid personality that would have blended perfectly with everyone at the company - but another candidate might have had just a hair more experience, so the job went to them. I've encountered this myself a few times. No matter what happens, at least you have a cute job story!
biggrin.gif

Best of luck to you!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-26-2002).]

Don't worry about it Mrs Edge! In my experience, The worse you think you do in an interview the more likely you are to get the job... I can remember having interviews and walking out feeling great about it, and not getting the job... The most important thing is you handled the situation calmly...

Good Luck!

Wow, thanks you guys!!!
smile.gif
I am going to wait and see what happens, but I may even wind up not taking it if they offer it to me, because it is SO MUCH WORK and I really value my free time! We'll see.

Oh, and spinning, I went to see Elevation rehearsing last night and nearly passed out with delight. They have some treats up their sleeves for April 5!!!

LOL Mrs.Edge, I can picture you there...nodding umpatiently, crazy to put it louder and starting dancing around, while the interviewer went blah, blah...
biggrin.gif
Yes, U2 is everywhere, everytime.

Don't worry though, cause some things are meant to be, you know
wink.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:

Oh, and spinning, I went to see Elevation rehearsing last night and nearly passed out with delight. They have some treats up their sleeves for April 5!!!
Woo Hoo!! I can't wait until April 5th. It is only 9 days away! I have a feeling that we are all going to be even more blown away then last time!!

Can you email me, Mrs Edge?? It is about April 5th, and making it possible for Arun to come and see you dance. spinninghead77@hotmail.com (Sorry, I couldn't find your addy) Thanks!!

Kel

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

LMAO!!!! Well, you aren't far off!

On my covering page of my resume, I have my career objective, and right under that, I have a U2 quote (and I do give credit) "I can't change the world but I can change the world in me" but I may alternate quotes depending on wherever it is I apply to.

Also, under personal interests I stress how VERY interested I am in U2, how I follow them around the world, etc etc. In fact, I think I'll add that in my spare time I belly dance for a U2 tribute band!!

Hey, they might as well know what they're getting into!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Edge (edited 03-27-2002).]

Originally posted by what a bomb!:
I had mentioned U2 on my CV!

In what context do you mention U2 on your CV or resume? Is it wrok relevant or hobbies and interests stuff?

<curiousity killed the cat>
shotgun.gif

catsmiley.gif

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section to back you up.

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

[This message has been edited by YellowKite (edited 03-27-2002).]

I can just picture it now:

Intrests
The Edge
Bono
Adam
Larry

Accomplishements
Over 1000 posts at Interference.com
Obtaining a collection of over 100 U2 Bootlegs

wink.gif

------------------
***Spinny***

Send that resume off to Bono and DATA right now!!!!!!!

Remember that at interviews it's a two-way street, they interview you, you interview them, and trust your gut (not the one swerving to the music!!). It's nice to hear of someone with enough self-confidence to present her true self on an interview rather than what you think they want to see. I know you probably blew them away!!!!!!!!

Happy Spring Jess!!!!

(hovering on the brink of 300 posts, I have such a long way to go to the thousands, and so much more laundry to do!!!!! :p

[This message has been edited by drumkeeran (edited 03-28-2002).]

You have NO IDEA how often I have thought about doing that. I have NO IDEA who I'd send my resume to or what I could possibly say that would make an impression. I have always wanted to run a charitable foundation for the band, (or at least Bono and Ali) but haven't a clue how to make that happen.
frown.gif

Anyway, happy spring to you too Heather!
smile.gif

Originally posted by drumkeeran:
Send that resume off to Bono and DATA right now

Originally posted by YellowKite:
In what context do you mention U2 on your CV or resume? Is it wrok relevant or hobbies and interests stuff?

<curiousity killed the cat>
shotgun.gif

catsmiley.gif

I mentioned U2 as a hobby part of the CV and I also put "I like to sing at karaoke, mainly U2 songs, much to the annoyance of others!"
Thought it would be ok to put a slight bit of humour in there! lol

Mrs. Edge!! Yesterday while at work, I was sitting at my desk, and all of a sudden I hear this loud noise coming from the chair beside me. I soon realized that my Discman had turned itself on and was blasting "Mofo Explicit Remix" from inside of my bag. It was super funny and not embarrassing at all, but man it made me think of you! lol
biggrin.gif

Any word on the job yet?

Back
Top Bottom