U2 looking old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm....I don't know what kind of answer you want here.
:shrug:
Yes they look their age (except Larry who easily could pass for 10 years younger), but I wouldn't exactly say they look awfully old or something.

The only comment I'd have is that Bono is starting to push it with the long hair. (after a certain age, it is starting to look redicioulus) In my opinion the Staring at the sun/BD/Discotheque/ATYCLB promo shots shortER hair suits him better than the longer "tour" hair and he looks younger with it, and maybe not use so much gel (Larry King - amount of it).
And I am curious how his hair looks without the dye - think he'll ever try that?

As for shades, I don't mind them. I liked the blue (sort of) see-through ones he wore on the tour. Wonder if he'll ever go back to being without them.

Bono's hair long?! :confused: Looks damn short to me. It's up to his ears for God's sake. I think he'd look much OLDER with scalped hair, it would only draw attention to the flaws in his face. The full style softens his features. Though I'd like it longer it's really the best length and style for him now. God forbid he'd stop dyeing it and go gray, then he WOULD look old! I think with his hair, clothes and everything he's doing the best he can with what he has now and it's working fine. I'm with doctorwho and whoever else said the Larry-is-young stuff is exaggerated. I don't see him as any younger looking than Bono and The Edge, and as I said before Adam looks the oldest IMO.

That close-up pic of Bono at the Golden Globes, looks oh so fake! You can tell they've made him over in a computer.. surely, he hasn't got such smooth skin irl, I've seen his forehead in other pics, and it was wrinklier (word?). They should leave Bono alone, why is it bad to look ones age?
I would hate it if Edge should dye his beard just to please everyone else.
It's just pathetic when older people are trying to be "young and cool", as the business wants them.

I'm in awe of the ridiculousness of this thread. It's really disappointing to see this many superficial responses.

Edge's goatee getting grey? GASP! The horror of it all!! :rolleyes: Bono's stubble a bit grey and he's showing some wrinkles on his face? Oh my God, someone call the rockstar police! :lol:

Of course they look older. They ARE older. :der:

Last edited:
U2FReAk said:
That close-up pic of Bono at the Golden Globes, looks oh so fake! You can tell they've made him over in a computer.. surely, he hasn't got such smooth skin irl, I've seen his forehead in other pics, and it was wrinklier (word?). They should leave Bono alone, why is it bad to look ones age?
I would hate it if Edge should dye his beard just to please everyone else.
It's just pathetic when older people are trying to be "young and cool", as the business wants them.

It might be blown up, but not 'made over.' I found the 'original' and he still looks fine:love:

3366342%3B23232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2326%3D933%3D72%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E2323369426542ot1lsi

check this one out non-PLEBANS, mightly handsome fellow!

3366342%3B23232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2326%3D933%3D72%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E232336942657%3Bot1lsi

So old people are "pathetic" trying to be young and cool? Would you rather everyone give up and look like an old fuck years before their time? They're only 42 for God's sake, not 62, and even Paul McCartney looks good at 60, better than if he just gave up and got old. Like it or not, the entertainment industry, and even the world as a whole is youth and looks obsessed. That's why there are so many products and procedures out there so people can hold onto their looks as long as possible. We'll all be there one day, and then we'll see how it feels to still be young in what some call an 'old' body, and have youngsters telling us what we should and should not do to improve ourselves and how pathetic we are for trying. Nope, the hair dye business will never go under:D

So, according to some posters in this thread, it's a bad thing to start looking older, but it's a bad thing to try to stay young looking, so now I fear there is no hope, when I get 40 might as well find a hole and pull the dirt in after me, my looks will be gone and my life over, you're fucked :sigh: :rolleyes: :shrug: (note sarcasm)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

This is a beautiful man :love:

globebeauty.jpg

Agreed, he's a beautiful man, not that you'd know it from that wax-museum exhibit. Nice photoshop job but I think part of his eyebrow got wiped accidentally.

I mean seriously, no disrespect intended, but I KNOW what Bono looks like. Did the lines around his throat mysteriously just disappear for the night? lol.

Kieran McConville said:

Agreed, he's a beautiful man, not that you'd know it from that wax-museum exhibit. Nice photoshop job but I think part of his eyebrow got wiped accidentally.

I mean seriously, no disrespect intended, but I KNOW what Bono looks like. Did the lines around his throat mysteriously just disappear for the night? lol.

I think it's cus whoever made the pic larger just evened it out b/c wireimage gives us shit quality jpegs that look even shittier when they're made larger. I don't think it was anyone's intention to make him look "younger".

Desire4Bono said:

It might be blown up, but not 'made over.' I found the 'original' and he still looks fine:love:

3366342%3B23232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2326%3D933%3D72%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E2323369426542ot1lsi

Amen, I was just going to go post that. Okay so shut up with the photoshop shit, here's the *real* pic and I'm not exactly seeing Strom Thurman here. I see a good looking 42 year old man with good looking hair and a good looking face with an adorable smirk. This "old" shit is getting "old" already :eyebrow:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think it's cus whoever made the pic larger just evened it out b/c wireimage gives us shit quality jpegs that look even shittier when they're made larger. I don't think it was anyone's intention to make him look "younger".

THANK YOU!!! :happy: :bow: I am responsible for the larger pic, and I wasn't sure how to explain it, but that's exactly what happened! I tried to blow it up because it was such a pretty picture, but it looked kind of stretched and distorted and splotchy in places once it was bigger due to the poor pic quality and bad resolution. So I used a photoshop feature called 'remove graininess' to smooth out the pic because of that, NOT because he looked old! It was done by me, not any 'they' or U2's people or the media. It was just like she said, shitty quality jpegs from wireimages. That's what needed to be 'fixed', not Bono's face! You can see the real thing there and I stand by my original statement- A BEAUTIFUL MAN!!!! :love:

U2Kitten said:

THANK YOU!!! :happy: :bow: I am responsible for the larger pic, and I wasn't sure how to explain it, but that's exactly what happened! I tried to blow it up because it was such a pretty picture, but it looked kind of stretched and distorted and splotchy in places once it was bigger due to the poor pic quality and bad resolution. So I used a photoshop feature called 'remove graininess' to smooth out the pic because of that, NOT because he looked old! It was done by me, not any 'they' or U2's people or the media. It was just like she said, shitty quality jpegs from wireimages. That's what needed to be 'fixed', not Bono's face! You can see the real thing there and I stand by my original statement- A BEAUTIFUL MAN!!!! :love:

Thanx Kitten, it's alright. I figured that's what happened since I've seen you do it before.

Well they arent 20 like :rolleyes: What do you want them to do get surgery and injections to make them look like clowns? :rolleyes: Everyone gets old and slightly bald and I think they look better now than ever before :drool:

You know, I'm 41, and some days I look old and tired, because I feel old and tired. Other days I look so fuckin' good! The difference is that no one is around to take pictures of me on either day. I have gray in my hair and I wear it proudly, a badge of my experience. Plus, it looks sexy on me! It does, and some of you know it!

I would absolutely LOVE it if Bono had the guts to stop dying his hair. He would look even more hot! But he looks good now, so it's okay either way.

And yes, joyful girl is an oldster and is gorgeous. I've seen her; I know! :yes:

I'll be 26 this year and a while ago I realize most of my "rock heroes" are in their late 30's or early 40's. People like Chris Cornell 38, Perry Farrell 40 or 41 no, Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips is 41 and he doesn't dye his hair, Eddie Vedder is in his late 30's.

What can you do? You can't deny time. I'd rather my rock heroes grow old naturally instead of looking like fools by shooting their faces with botox and having their hair up in corn rows. Oops, sorry Axl Rose.

Re: I could have lived without this mental image.

martha said:

You realize that if I wake up screaming tonight, it'll be your fault.

Oh yeah, sorry. If Axl was smart he'd take a que from his buddy Buckethead and put a McDonalds bag over his own head.

In response to Desire4Bono, Why do you care so much about image? Let him be what he is. And yes, I do find it pathetic when older people are trying to act young, it does not suit them, as it does not suit a person of let's say 20 years old to act like he/she's 40. (well that doesn't happen as often as the reverse tho..) You must surely understand why, for crying out loud. I'm not saying it's bad to care about how you look when you get older, but why must that equal trying to stay young as long as possible? You can still look good and accept you age.

That's just the way people are, and I don't blame them! I'm 33 and as soon as I get more gray hairs than I can pluck out I'm running straight for the bottle, baby! I'm actually shocked some of you feel that it's bad to try to hold onto your appearance as long as you can. Think about it, those of you who are only 20 years old, how it must feel to have looked a certain way all your life, and then start to look like an old person- while you still feel and think young and vital. Everyone in my family dyes their hair, even the guys, except one cousin and he looks really old compared to the rest. If your paint peels on your house, or your battery dies in your car, do you just accept it as ageing and do nothing? Of course not. You repair what was wrong and keep going. Why should our own bodies be any different?:shrug:

Since when is there is an age limit on how you're allowed to look? I'm glad most of the world doesn't abide by it. Take a look on TV and movies. Many of those people would look old and ragged if they didn't do something to fix themselves up. Who wants to see that, especially in show business? Looking old just doesn't sell. I can name many celebrities in their 60's and even 70's {Debbie Reynolds, Liz Talyor, Florence Henderson, Dick Clark, too many to name!} who still look good thanks to hair color, makeup, collegen protein and even plastic surgery. I'd rather see that than a bunch of old looking goomers, and I tell you what, I'd rather BE one of them too. Better than somebody who goes, oh well, I'm old:grumpy:

Think about this too: it's really no different to be old and try to look younger than it is to be young and change your natural appearance you aren't happy with by means of makeup, hair color, diets, liposuction, and plastic surgery on noses or whatever, is it? Is it okay for Eminem and Britney Spears to have artifically changed hair color and enlarged boobies because they're young? They're still not accepting themselves for what they are, see? Regardless of age, people will do things to themselves to look the way they want, and who's business is it really? This discussion is really lame after all.

Last edited:
BTW I'd rather see Axl with his cornrows than short gray hair. Axl's problem isn't that his looks have left him, it's that his voice has! Oh, and his original band members and all his foxy girlfriends, they've left him too:shifty:

U2Kitten said:

Think about this too: it's really no different to be old and try to look younger than it is to be young and change your natural appearance you aren't happy with by means of makeup, hair color, diets, liposuction, and plastic surgery on noses or whatever, is it? Is it okay for Eminem and Britney Spears to have artifically changed hair color and enlarged boobies because they're young? They're still not accepting themselves for what they are, see? Regardless of age, people will do things to themselves to look the way they want, and who's business is it really? This discussion is really lame after all.

That's true too! U2Freak, why does it bug you if people want to look the way they want and not the way YOU feel they should settle for? I have often felt that people who resented famous people for upgrading their looks must have low self esteem and be jealous themselves. Like, I can't look like that so I want everyone else to accept themselves the way they are so I can feel better about myself too! But that's not reality. Not saying that is what U2freak her/himself thinks, I am no mind reader. Just a general observation overall. BTW, I am no beauty queen and have never done anything to change my looks by artificial means, that's just how I feel.

U2Kitten said:
I'm actually shocked some of you feel that it's bad to try to hold onto your appearance as long as you can.

I don't do anything to "hold on to my appearance," yet I look great! Gray hair and all. Those people who have plastic surgery look like shit. Stallone, Julie Andrews, Cher; they all look like plastic dolls, not real people. Repairing something that's broken isn't the same as fighting tooth and nail to maintain an image of youth when youth has gone. It's disrespectful to yourself and immature. I'm not talking about a dye job now and again; I'm talking about the denial of aging that so many people do. People get old. Deal with it.

Let's not forget that a BIG reason celebs try to stay young looking is because it could mean millions of $$$ that they either land or lose, based in part on how they look.

I agree that at a certain point it's foolish and makes them look worse, but if a dye-job could help me land a part or sell more records, I'd do it.

I don't think it ever reaches the point where it makes you look worse until you're totally decrepit, bent over with a walker and a sack of wrinkles, then it IS time to give it up. But 40-50 can be salvaged, so why not, if you have the money and the desire? Plastic surgery can be a good thing if it is not misused----->see MICHAEL JACKSON <----as evidence of misuse! :lol:

Of course $$ is a reason stars try to keep up appearances. If people wanted to see average people falling apart, they can always look at their neighbors, or even in the mirror.

PS- Martha, if you still look gorgeous, good for you honey! But others aren't so lucky! :happy:

martha said:

I don't do anything to "hold on to my appearance," yet I look great! Gray hair and all. Those people who have plastic surgery look like shit. Stallone, Julie Andrews, Cher; they all look like plastic dolls, not real people. Repairing something that's broken isn't the same as fighting tooth and nail to maintain an image of youth when youth has gone. It's disrespectful to yourself and immature. I'm not talking about a dye job now and again; I'm talking about the denial of aging that so many people do. People get old. Deal with it.

:up:

And just why is looking older so horrible to some people? I live in a fairly affluent area where the women (and men) in my peer group talk constantly about lipo, Botox, face lifts, hair plugs, etc. Looking young is an obsession to them. I think its completely silly to see a 40 year old woman walking around in her daughter's Roxy clothing, thinking she looks really cute but not noticing people snickering as she walks by.

My gym is crawling with fake boobs, hair extensions and people with expressionless Botox faces. There is a woman I know in her late 60's who, by her own admission, doesn't have a single area of her body that is untouched by a surgeon. She might feel good about herself but everyone else sees a senior citizen with bleach blond hair, ridiculous looking breast implants and a fake tan, desperate to hold on to her youth. And I can't forget the man in his 50's who wears the big blond boufant wig that slips around while he's working out. How pathetic is it that some people can't even go without makeup or their toupee in the gym?

And I'm not jealous of ANY of these people. I think its sad. Wrinkles and gray hair are not the end of the world and to judge someone because they have them is just shallow.

I think I look pretty good for my age (36) and the only thing I do, or plan on doing, is color my hair. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom