U2 looking back? Why Not???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've always wondered this about U2:

To what extent does the band look back at past performances?

By looking back at past performances, I mean actually watching video or listening to the audio of performances from the 90's and 80's...

This was touched upon in the WOWY in Milan thread, but U2 has always been re arranging their songs, and I wish they would look back at, say, the JT era performances of WOWY and follow that arrangement, it was the best! :drool: This is just the first, most obvious example that came to mind.

this is by no means true for a lot of their stuff, but each tour has its own variations of the same songs, and I think really looking at some of these performances would be quite beneficial for the band, no?

I realize that Bono always talks about how they are looking towards the future, but I'd really be interested to hear how much attention they pay to past performances of songs.

Think about it, some of the greatest versions of songs like I Still Haven't Found.., Running to Stand Still and others have come from the 80's...and this is entirely do-able for the band now..it's simply a matter of song structure!!! Surely after 30 years the band experiments and changes different aspects of all songs, but just a little watching of past performances might trigger something...What do you think?

Last edited:
I know that each of them get audio copies of each show to work on mistakes etc but I'm not sure they go back to their past live versions.

I'd be more curious how Edge digs up something like Electric co after so long. Can he read notes (he did have guitar lessons) and just look at the music and play or does he have to train it out by ear ?

t8thgr8 said:
i sure as hell hope that the fuckin edge can read music by now, its not that hard

haha yes I'm sure he can, but yeah, U2girl, I would think he'd be able to by ear quite easily but maybe not...

How could I possibly be all over the place if the topic is U2, and we're in a U2 forum? Explain yourself...any thoughts on the subject?

t8thgr8 said:
i sure as hell hope that the fuckin edge can read music by now, its not that hard

TAB is fairly idiot proof for guitarists as long as they have patience. I know that REM had to buy a song book of their own songs during one of their 90's tour rehearsals.

If Edge were smart he may film himself closeup playing all his guitar parts so he can figure them out later. I'm never heard of him doing this.

I do know that in the 2001 Charlie Rose interview they showed a clip from the Sydney video. Bono claimed to have never seen it since that tour. Please use that quote at your own discretion.

u2fp

I doubt that Edge has ever had to learn to read music, unless he approached piano in a more studious manner.

I'd imagine that Edge has a rougher time remembering all the effects settings to older, more obscure songs. Although with stuff like Electric Co. he didn't have THAT many options to muddle through...

Rob33 said:
How could I possibly be all over the place if the topic is U2, and we're in a U2 forum? Explain yourself...any thoughts on the subject?

You're enjoying the music today. None of the posts are negative. Most U2 posts here are negative, so, you're catching people off guard. They don't know how to react.

U2FanPeter said:
TAB is fairly idiot proof for guitarists as long as they have patience. I know that REM had to buy a song book of their own songs during one of their 90's tour rehearsals.

If Edge were smart he may film himself closeup playing all his guitar parts so he can figure them out later. I'm never heard of him doing this.

In 1984, when the UF Tour began in New Zealand, Bono claimed that Edge had forgotten how to play the early songs and that the crew had had to buy the early albums for him to listen to so that he could relearn them.

However, I question the truthfulness of that. The Kiwi sets had just one UF song, Pride, with the album's title track added for the final gig in Auckland. Otherwise, it was all older material. You'd think that if Edge had forgotten the older stuff, they'd stack the set with new songs he knew so that he had less to relearn.

MrBrau1 said:

You're enjoying the music today. None of the posts are negative. Most U2 posts here are negative, so, you're catching people off guard. They don't know how to react.

Well negativity on here is 100% pointless and gets everyone nowhere you see?

Criticality is the important thing, nothing wrong with that. That is how some meaningful discussion can occur. And besides why would I actually take the time to purposefully post something negative towards the band?...So idiotic and pointless...I have no reason to attack them, they have provided me with and still do provide me with the greatest music I could ever ask for...simple as that..

but please someone, anyone, has anyone heard any interviews/soundbytes or anything at all that sheds light on this subject...if not, how much do you think the band watches old performances/song arrangements? It's just a curiosity of mine I'd like to explore :wink:

Oh Axver you posted while I was typing this up, didn't see it...thanks for that insight :)
I hadn't heard of that before

Last edited:
The only member I can see actually going into the archives and watching an old performance is Edge, I presume this is what happened for the release of the Paris concert. There's no way the band would let anything be made public that they believed showed them in a bad light, I think Edge may well have taken a look at the show to make sure it was a decent representation of the JT era, but I can't see any of the other members being involved, although I think there's perhaps a slim chance Larry may have had some input.

An interesting thing to know is that in 99 just after Popmart had concluded, the band decided to release The Best of 80-90 disc, but left Edge pretty much on his own to figure out what should be included and the tracklist. After compiling it he was very excited and persuaded a very reluctant Bono to listen to it. Finally he agreed and they went through it at his house. Bono later revealed that he had been very moved by the material and that he'd forgotten how much joy and elation those early songs had, that joy is the hardest thing to fabricate. I think this kick-started the whole ATYCLB campaign. I got this from a radio broadcast in 01/02.

When they were making Bomb, Q magazine interviewed them at the studio, at the same time Edge was putting The Best of 90-00 together, as soon as they began talking about it, Bono left the room, so reluctant was he to discuss anything to do with the past, so involved was he with the direction of the new album and unwilling to be distracted by their own history.

With all that said I do think something is quietly changing in the U2 camp, the release of U2 by U2, Bono In Conversation, The JT Boxset and The Waves Of Sorrow clip seem to suggest that Bono in particular is becoming more interested and more enthusiastic about their own past. For good reason it's a great body of work that any band would be proud of, just so long as he doesn't becoming to pre-occupied by it.

Last edited:
Agree with DevilsShoes. I also read the thing about Edge having to force Bono to sit down and listen to the 80s' compilation. I think Edge is the U2-er who is the most "If the people like it, it's good music" in attitude. He's not afraid of their past. Then again, he never had a mullet.

ADAM: "I'm proud of what we've done. I listen to the records and I know they're weak sometimes, but I believe in them. I realize that I haven't wasted my life."

EDGE: "Adam will listen to our old records and for all their flaws will find something. I can't listen to any of them. The only record I can sometimes listen to is part of The Joshua Tree because it reminds me of my favorite Velvet Underground records. I don't know why." --1989

I can't remember where, but I think I read a quote of Bono reiterating this same point, that of the 4, Adam listens to their older albums more than anyone else in the band.

Jeez speaking of good arangements, that "You can tooouuuch me!!!" on beautiful day during vertigo tour is so powerful it's breath taking!!!

Oh I hope Bono continues voice lessons and gives us even more on the next tour..I think he will...THAT PART IS UNBELIEVABLE!! Hopefully they don't need to look back at the vertigo tour to remember how brilliantly they played BD:wink:

I've often thought about this. The band must know which arrangements of songs were the best. I mean why leave out the "shine like stars..." bit in WOWY?
Why cut the beautiful long intro to WTSHNN?

They must know that they were great versions of great songs. I sometimes think that they aren't huge fans of U2 like we are on here. I know that sounds odd, but they probably don't know that 26/12/89 was the best One Tree Hill ever!

I have heard that the group themselves had near encyclopedic knowledge of past shows. This is from fans that meet the band in a non-crowded moment and ask a specific question about a certain show and something unique that happened at that show.

One fan mentioned to Bono that they had seen them live 150+ times, including several full tour legs. Bono spent 20 minutes quizing him on facts that only those in attendance would know. He "passed" the test with flying colours.

When on tour the band does travel with a well-worn copy of the concert chronology book. Bono still gets club names wrong or over-mentions(3 straight tours) playing a titty bar in Dallas or whatever.

u2fp

Last edited:
Bono may have chosen to look back on his career when he figured out it's financial value, political clout and keeping fans attention during a show(ie: adding oldies on Popmart or Outside Broadcasts shows)

u2fp

chrissybaby said:
I sometimes think that they aren't huge fans of U2 like we are on here.

Hmm, I think this comment is actually quite accurate and says a lot about their mindset.

:up:

chrissybaby said:
I sometimes think that they aren't huge fans of U2 like we are on here. I know that sounds odd, but they probably don't know that 26/12/89 was the best One Tree Hill ever! [/B]

They have different interests than fans.

For instance they have likely spent a small fortune making and keeping an archive of all their old studio/live tapes and video and photos...

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

They have different interests than fans.

For instance they have likely spent a small fortune making and keeping an archive of all their old studio/live tapes and video and photos...

u2fp

what i'd give for a day in that vault!

Back
Top Bottom