U2 Live on SNL Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Curious: do we really all think that the cast (especially Poehler and Rudolph) were crying or whatever because of how cool Bono was? I got the impression that they were all laughing tears at how silly he looked and how crazily that use-the-woman-in-the-audience-as-a-dancing-pole stunt came off. Any thoughts? I kind of got the impression that a lot of them were like, "Man...who the hell does this guy think he is???"

Either way, I loved it. I liked the energy, though I have to admit that Bono probably over-extended himself a few times. And, of course, his GREAT performance of "Sometimes..." was overshadowed when, by the end of the song, he sounded like a dying frog.

Vertigo was awesome.....it came off really well live. i don't see why everyone has a problem with it.

all of the songs were performed brilliantly

wow, that was just amazing!!

Vertigo will make a grand opener for the tour and Sometimes, well , I'm just stunned how great those intimite songs sound live. I can hardly wait to see them live again :hyper:

If you shout... said:
Curious: do we really all think that the cast (especially Poehler and Rudolph) were crying or whatever because of how cool Bono was? I got the impression that they were all laughing tears at how silly he looked and how crazily that use-the-woman-in-the-audience-as-a-dancing-pole stunt came off. Any thoughts? I kind of got the impression that a lot of them were like, "Man...who the hell does this guy think he is???"

Either way, I loved it. I liked the energy, though I have to admit that Bono probably over-extended himself a few times. And, of course, his GREAT performance of "Sometimes..." was overshadowed when, by the end of the song, he sounded like a dying frog.

They were definately crying out of laughter, it seems like everyone was shocked at Bono's antic with that girl. I'm not sure if they thought it was silly, but they surely looked like they had never seen anything like that on their show, and just couldn't believe it.

I thought it (Vertigo)was rough and not polished yet. I am sure it will get there

yeah but whenever is rock 'n roll really polished?? It's about the live feel of the whole thing, it doesn't have to sound like a routine job. Well that is what I think anyway

Last edited:
Last edited:
The performance of 'Vertigo' showed the world how great it is to be in such an awesome rock and roll band........I thought the band played with intensity and were also having fun. They all sounded great.

I think the cast members were really excited about U2 and their performance.....I doubt there were many people in that building that couldn't get excited by the performance of 'I Will Follow', esp. after Bono and the boys sucked everyone in with the outstanding performances of 'Vertigo' followed by 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'.

RademR said:
Vertigo = started rough, Bono seemed uncomfortable
Sometimes = absoluetely amazing, what a great effort by Bono, he was near perfect, and the music by the band brought it to life more than the amazing album version
I Will Follow = the greatest band ever, did you see Bono? The SNL crew were like groupies. The crowd gave them a standing ovation.

ABSOLUTELY! Vertigo was rough. I understand they were having some technical hassles that made bono's mic badly mixed.

Sometimes was frickin' AMAZING. I definitely need an mp3 or video of that. The I Will Follow encore was a fabulous surprise (though if the FCC gets pissy about Bono's lap dance antics, it could be more rough publicity for a guy who holds himself out as the moral and sometimes religious voice of rock and roll).

Why didn't NBC show the following three songs U2 sang??? They've got to be more entertaining than whatever they program. Well, okay it was Danny Devito and Andy Kaufman on a classic SNL episode, but they could have bumped that back a bit.

NBC would have been well served to have Luke Wilson do his opening bit and then "Ladies and Gentlemen, U2..." for the next hour and a half.

Damn, I laughed harder at the Burger King "sponge bob" watch commercial than I did at the entire show. Am I retarded, or is that show complete shit now?

Genuine tears me thinks

Tears of laughter? I'm thinking they were tears of emotional bliss!! I was half way there myself just watching the tv...can you say GIRLY MAN!!

Also, does anyone get the sense that Bono himself got choked up at the end of SYCMIOYO? If I'm guessing right, this was the biggest crowd they've played that song in front of so far? Maybe the emotional weight of that song hit Bono big time for that reason? It was a brilliant/moving/classic performance in my books....

If you shout... said:

Hi Jick!

Oh wait...

Listen to the album version of "Sometimes...". Bono sings that line "sometimes we can't fake it" the same way - I think it's supposed to be extra scratchy like that (like "One" used to be extra scratchy for effect).

And while I admit, I think the cast got a kick out of the band's actions, I also think the cast was REALLY into watching U2 perform. If you were a fan - or at least a music fan - you would appreciate who and what U2 are at this point of their careers. And when you have one of the most reverred and biggest rock bands performing *live* FEET away from you, I do think you'll be overwhelmed. I was majorly overwhelmed as I saw U2 members walk by me - mere feet away - when I was in the heart for a few shows on the last tour. So I think there was some laughter at the antics, I also think there was TONS of fantacism. After all, the crying didn't beging until AFTER Bono hugged her.

I'm adding... I also got the feeling the cast was laughing at Bono's repeated "live, live, live" comments. Clearly a dig at a certain "star". ;)

Last edited:
I think I remember them letting Justin Timberlake last year play three songs. Didn't he sub out a monologue for a song at the very beginning?

doctorwho said:

Hi Jick!

Oh wait...

Listen to the album version of "Sometimes...". Bono sings that line "sometimes we can't fake it" the same way - I think it's supposed to be extra scratchy like that (like "One" used to be extra scratchy for effect).

And while I admit, I think the cast got a kick out of the band's actions, I also think the cast was REALLY into watching U2 perform. If you were a fan - or at least a music fan - you would appreciate who and what U2 are at this point of their careers. And when you have one of the most reverred and biggest rock bands performing *live* FEET away from you, I do think you'll be overwhelmed. I was majorly overwhelmed as I saw U2 members walk by me - mere feet away - when I was in the heart for a few shows on the last tour. So I think there was some laughter at the antics, I also think there was TONS of fantacism. After all, the crying didn't beging until AFTER Bono hugged her.

I know what you mean about the "fake it" line--again, I REALLY enjoyed the performance...but you can hear him TRY to hit a note and then fail. He wasn't trying to sound gruff...he aimed too high and couldn't make it. And, yeah...I'm sure that some people were totally overwhelmed; as you said, we all would be, too! Even so, I think it was a split: I've watched it numerous times, and I think some people are aghast, others are enraptured.

Sorry if that was somehow too negative of a post, and I'm sorry if this one ends up the same way, but...

Did anyone else notice The Edge flubbing his guitar part at/around the first chorus? When he started into his falsetto, specifically? For the rest of the song, he REALLY blew me away, and I LOVED that smooth-as-hell switch to the slide...but for whatever reason the song seemed to get away from him for a bit earlier on in the game. The band isn't perfect...though they are quite phenomenal.

If you shout... said:

I dunno... I was in tears and I wasn't laughing. I mean... surely they must know Bono by now. Unless one has lived in a closet their entire life, I can't see them being surprised at the lap dance shenanigan. Call me crazy, but that was vintage Bono.

I'm stunned because somehow I missed the encore! SNL fooled me again - I thought the musical guests were limited to two sets, and the show sucked so much without U2 that I turned it off when I thought they were done. Oh well, something to look forward to on the rerun! And I'm sure clips will be available online.

Those of you who were there are so LUCKY! The band looked great. Bono sounded fantastic. I can't wait to get the CD, and I am going to start looking around to see what shows I might be able to go to. I have heard a rumor about a free concert on Monday in Washington Square Park that I may try to make.

Tashka Blue said:
I'm stunned because somehow I missed the encore! SNL fooled me again - I thought the musical guests were limited to two sets, and the show sucked so much without U2 that I turned it off when I thought they were done. Oh well, something to look forward to on the rerun! And I'm sure clips will be available online.

Those of you who were there are so LUCKY! The band looked great. Bono sounded fantastic. I can't wait to get the CD, and I am going to start looking around to see what shows I might be able to go to. I have heard a rumor about a free concert on Monday in Washington Square Park that I may try to make.

Too bad you missed the I will Follow. I love it how Bono stirs shit up. I did the same thing in 2000. I watched beautiful day and then left. Of course, I later saw footage of the infamous Elevation performance. Make sure you get your hands on I will Follow performance.

I wasn't wowed by Vertigo either, but I thought SYCMIOYO was absolutely brilliant and I was in tears for I Will Follow - Karl thinks I have seriously gone off the deep end....:crazy:

But I thought *he* was crazy when he bet me that they would play a 3rd song - man I love them! :combust:

I am probably going to get shot for this post by U2 fans reading this but I'm going to write the TRUTH that most U2 fans are afraid to admit or realize.

I've been a die hard U2 fan since I was 13, therefor my opinion is unbiased. Yesterday's performance was crap. Bono was clearly struggling with vocals.

I really wish that Bono had lip synced. He needs to stop drinking all that damn beer and chain smoking 'cause it ain't helping his vocals as the years progress. I wanted to cringe during the bridge of "Vertigo". If his voice doesn't improve, I'm not sure if I want to see U2 on more than one date this year.

It's one thing to be at a U2 concert 'cause of the energy and environment which U2 are known for creating over the years However, I want a good show in the end besides hearing the hits that I grew up with.

I should've taken his rough vocals on the Boston DVD during the song "Stay, Far Away So Close" as an indication that Bono has had his time vocally.

I am glad that U2 performed not 2 but 3 songs last night. "Vertigo", "All Because of You" and before the credits rolled "I will Follow". During "I Will Follow" Bono did his audience charming and sat in the lap of the lady in the front row. I wish I was her having Bono's crotch in my face :p

Bono even hugged some of the SNL cast while singing, most of whom CRIED. How is it that Bono is able to make everyone cry, myself included?

U2 performed a FOURTH song but it was cut off obviously since it was a live broadcast and the networks have to adhere to an airing shedule.

Now I am off to post my personal opinion on the U2 fan clubs and watch the flaming and the denial come in.

P.S. Larry Mullen looked fuckin' hot on the drums and I'm glad that the cameras focused on Larry a good number of times. He has changed his hair style! He looks older and I saw a few wrinkles during the close ups however, he ages gracefully and is still the hottest guy in music.

gitrgi said:
Bono's voice has never been better than SYCMIOYO...anyone have the mp3s?

Bono's voice has never been better? I can understand being infactuated as a fan but truth is, his vocals weren't that great love.

RademR said:
Vertigo = started rough, Bono seemed uncomfortable
Sometimes = absoluetely amazing, what a great effort by Bono, he was near perfect, and the music by the band brought it to life more than the amazing album version
I Will Follow = the greatest band ever, did you see Bono? The SNL crew were like groupies. The crowd gave them a standing ovation.

I thought the song that they sang was called "All Because of You". I wasn't sure what song that was 'cause I haven't heard or downloaded the new album yet but heard many people call it "All Because of You"

Back
Top Bottom