u2 live....80's v's 90's v's 00's ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, that's a hard thing to compare. The Elevation tour was a relgious experience for me, but Popmart was when I first discovered U2 live, and of course what made me become the fan I am today. So, I'm going to say it's all personal opinion. I think whatever albums you connect with more, you're going to like those tours more because more of those songs are played. I never got to see ZooTV, but the Sydney show is still my very favorite to watch.

Maybe nowdays the lads have so much material to pull from that they are spoilt for choice.I've just watched R&H followed by Boston (elevation) and Boston totally destroys that 80's nonsense:ohmy: And i'm speaking from u2 fan from 'back in the day':wink:

00's I guess.

Performance-wise it looks like Elevation and Vertigo beat just about everything.
I guess the 80's could be mentioned as well, especially the early 80's but now they seem at the top of their game. I mean, it seems impossible to be much better than they were yesterday :D

90s were better than both. ZooTV and Popmart created their own little worlds. I was too young to have been at either in person(was 8 during ZooTV and 13 during Popmart, am 20 now), but every time I watch them I get the distinct feeling that while at one of those shows, you could forget you were in an arena/stadium for while, because those tours created their own little worlds, with all the characters and complex stage setups and props(trabaants, video walls, lemons, golden arches). Aside from the showmanship, U2 changed rock concert touring in general in the 90s. They made the b-stage an industry standard and they made leaps and bounds in how video/led screens/walls are used in rock concerts(the popmart led screen was the largest ever used in a rock concert tour at the time). And all this just adds to what were incredible performances and incredible setlists.

Those 90s tours are head and shoulders above any other tour U2 has ever done.

liamcool said:
The 80's.

If you don't say the 80's, then I'd call you a fool. Nothing personal though.

I love my 80's boots. But, there's someone fucking up in almost every show. I've actually got a boot where you can hear 2 dudes talking about how terribly out of time Larry is. And they're right.

80's »»» great energy, perfect setlists with a lot of great songs that disappeared in 90's

90's »»» great act, a revolution in rock shows.

00's »»» a mature band, more confortable with themselves than ever.

I can't choose.

liamcool said:

And that doesn't happen in the 90's?

Not nearly as much as in the 80's. Even less in 00's than in the 90's.

Why? They play better now. They've got 25 years playing experience.

They didn't have that in 83, or 89, or 92, or 97.

I say the 90's, although when I say 90's I really mean Zoo TV. Popmart was cool in many ways, but Bono's voice was horrible during that tour.

Eighties, hands down. Why? One word: LOVETOWN.

That tour subjugates, defeats, and demolishes every other tour ever.

The 2000s are shaping up rather awesomely, though.

Axver said:
Eighties, hands down. Why? One word: LOVETOWN.

That tour subjugates, defeats, and demolishes every other tour ever.

The 2000s are shaping up rather awesomely, though.

As usual, Axver disregarding the 90s.

As a liveband u2 have never been better than they are now. One can argue about setlists, the show, the stage etc, but as musicians right now is the best we have ever seen in my opinion.

I have bootlegs spanning all of the decades and i think the shows are better now because they more music that's is also very good to play now. However, it would be nice to hear bono play some of those songs with high notes that he can't hit anymore such as lemon

I LOVE U2 any day, any week, any month, any year...it is all good !!! I love the way they have evolved over the years but it does not take away from what they have done in the past...I still enjoy my R&H dvd just as much as the newer ones, the stlye of music has changed but the quality is still there:yes:

namkcuR said:

As usual, Axver disregarding the 90s.

Well, yeah, because ZooTV and Popmart are my two least favourite tours.

But that doesn't say much, as I think they were both abso-bloody-lutely incredible. Don't get me wrong there. I think you think I like nineties U2 a lot less than I actually do.

Axver said:

Well, yeah, because ZooTV and Popmart are my two least favourite tours.

But that doesn't say much, as I think they were both abso-bloody-lutely incredible. Don't get me wrong there. I think you think I like nineties U2 a lot less than I actually do.

Well, can you blame me, what with all your adoration of 80s U2(especially late 80s) and current U2? :wink:

I suppose I let our disagreement about AB effect my view of your view of that entire decade.

Flowchart coming soon :wink:

namkcuR said:

Well, can you blame me, what with all your adoration of 80s U2(especially late 80s) and current U2? :wink:

I suppose I let our disagreement about AB effect my view of your view of that entire decade.

Flowchart coming soon :wink:

Is that a fact? Or an opinion?

namkcuR said:
90s were better than both. ZooTV and Popmart created their own little worlds. I was too young to have been at either in person(was 8 during ZooTV and 13 during Popmart, am 20 now), but every time I watch them I get the distinct feeling that while at one of those shows, you could forget you were in an arena/stadium for while, because those tours created their own little worlds, with all the characters and complex stage setups and props(trabaants, video walls, lemons, golden arches). Aside from the showmanship, U2 changed rock concert touring in general in the 90s. They made the b-stage an industry standard and they made leaps and bounds in how video/led screens/walls are used in rock concerts(the popmart led screen was the largest ever used in a rock concert tour at the time). And all this just adds to what were incredible performances and incredible setlists.

Those 90s tours are head and shoulders above any other tour U2 has ever done.

You were saying about adoration of a certain era?

I've seen ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation and of course Vertigo. I didn't see JT tour and god I wish I had but watching Rattle and Hum I think it was just a stripped down set with 4 band members jamming. I think as they got bigger the set had to get bigger and it always needed to be just the 4 guys playing. I would therefore have to say the 80's.

The 80's were less controlled which is what I think makes them the best. Although I loved the spectacle of ZooTV. Now they are masters of what they do, but that means it doesn't feel as dangerous to me. You don't get those moments when they seem as out of control.

namkcuR said:
ZooTV and Popmart created their own little worlds. I was too young to have been at either in person(was 8 during ZooTV and 13 during Popmart, am 20 now), but every time I watch them I get the distinct feeling that while at one of those shows, you could forget you were in an arena/stadium for while, because those tours created their own little worlds, with all the characters and complex stage setups and props(trabaants, video walls, lemons, golden arches). Aside from the showmanship, U2 changed rock concert touring in general in the 90s. They made the b-stage an industry standard and they made leaps and bounds in how video/led screens/walls are used in rock concerts(the popmart led screen was the largest ever used in a rock concert tour at the time). And all this just adds to what were incredible performances and incredible setlists.

:yes: oh how i wish i could have gone to Popmart! I was just getting into U2 at the time, if I was just a little more on top of things...and ZooTV, I should have been a more assertive four-year-old :wink:

I don't think I can pick one era overall that is best... I'd pick 80's for energy, 90's for concept, 00's for performance. Which I suppose performance is the most important thing, the band are better now than ever (though I think Bono's voice was overall better during ZooTV I think he's only SLIGHTLY worse now, he sounds fucking amazing, so I'm not complaining). The 00's and 80's are about tied for setlist variation, with the 00's having the edge (get it? The Edge? oh nevermind) just because there are more songs to choose from now. My personal favourite setlists would be the 90's, although static they were playing the most songs from my three favourite albums (yes I am a 90's fan, I won't pretend not to be biased).

There are advantages to all, and as inclined as I am to the spectacle of the 90's, performance wise I gotta go with the 00's. And I'm not disregarding the 80's, I think they had more energy then (especially early on) than they've ever had since. Basically, I'd take U2 live anytime.

i'm going to say the 2000's.

why?

one reason: it's the only decade i've seen them in. not my fault though, i was too young zootv/popmart (5 and 10.)

but now ive seen them 14 times since elevation(six), vertigo (eight.) great shows.

would I like to see a stadium show outdoors with the glitz and the glamor? yes. do I like the closedness of an indoor show too? yes.

and as previously mentioned (listening to bootlegs), they are a better playing band now than before.

but i'm biased.

80's...far more exciting. Though they've honed it down to 'pure awesome' these days!

I would say the 00's.

Even though I've been a fan since the mid 80's, I've only seen them twice, once during Elevation and once during Vertigo. After watching the old shows on DVD and VHS tapes, I would say Elevation was the best. It touched me so personally because not only was it my first U2 show but I saw them not too long after 9/11. It was so powerful and so moving, and the other shows will never compare to it or reach its level.

Back
Top Bottom