U2 like new shoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
U2 albums are like new shoes, sometimes it takes awhile for them to 'break in.' When I first got UF, I didn't like anything but Pride (I was 15) but it eventually became my favorite. When I first heard ATYCLB I was kind of let down after BD, but I fell in love with it by the time the tour started. Even AB didn't grab me right off the bat. The only album that has never grown on me is Pop, and the only ones that never needed to were JT and War, which I loved right away.

Today, I broke in HTDAAB. I took it for a long, long ride, and like crunching the stiff old shoes and stomping in the dirt and scuffing them up, me and HTDAAB came to that place in the road where everything merged and it's total U2 love! :heart:

I now confess. I did not dowload and had not heard anything but Vertigo. I wanted to be surprised when I bought it brand new. And I was a little disappointed. Skipping around, the songs seemed disjointed at times, as if the words and the music were not written together and were forced but didn't fit with each other. Now I don't hear that anymore. The words come flowing like warmth and the music is fantastic! I just now noticed the intricate excellence of the music on songs like Original of the Species and Crumbs. The lyrics to One Step Closer spoke so much to me personally.

So, what can I say, U2, you've done it AGAIN! Another great work. Thank you! :up:

If anyone doesn't love this record yet, take it for a long ride alone and see how well you end up getting along.

Last edited:
That's great U2Kitten! :up:

Personally I'm in love with Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own right now, it's an amzing and beautiful song, very honest! EVERYONE is shining on that song I think! :yes: Can't stop listening to All Because Of You and Crumbs as well! :up:

All Because of You and City of Blinding Lights, along with Vertigo, were the ones I did love right away. But now I love them all!

I refused to listen to anything before the CD came out as well. to me, what is the point? when you go to buy the CD when it comes out, there is no curiosity, no excitement.

I am still getting to know the record. I've found some great moments on it and I can't get certain lyrics out of my mind.

I love "freedom is a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head"

"dayglo eyes, city of fireflies" or whatever it is. I love that!

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
U2 albums are like new shoes, sometimes it takes awhile for them to 'break in.' When I first got UF, I didn't like anything but Pride (I was 15) but it eventually became my favorite. When I first heard ATYCLB I was kind of let down after BD, but I fell in love with it by the time the tour started. Even AB didn't grab me right off the bat. The only album that has never grown on me is Pop, and the only ones that never needed to were JT and War, which I loved right away.

Today, I broke in HTDAAB. I took it for a long, long ride, and like crunching the stiff old shoes and stomping in the dirt and scuffing them up, me and HTDAAB came to that place in the road where everything merged and it's total U2 love! :heart:

I now confess. I did not dowload and had not heard anything but Vertigo. I wanted to be surprised when I bought it brand new. And I was a little disappointed. Skipping around, the songs seemed disjointed at times, as if the words and the music were not written together and were forced but didn't fit with each other. Now I don't hear that anymore. The words come flowing like warmth and the music is fantastic! I just now noticed the intricate excellence of the music on songs like Original of the Species and Crumbs. The lyrics to One Step Closer spoke so much to me personally.

So, what can I say, U2, you've done it AGAIN! Another great work. Thank you! :up:

If anyone doesn't love this record yet, take it for a long ride alone and see how well you end up getting along.

:applaud: Great post

:up: Awesome U2Kitten! I didn't know you were holding out. I couldn't resist the leak and have spent the last few weeks listening to the album. I don't regret my choice - expect I hated that some knew it and some didn't.

This is the first album since JT that I loved right away. The only song I had to get used to was All Because of You - as Bono's two voices were hard to tune in for me. I loved the lyrics the second I read them.

:up: to U2 Love! :heart: :D

It's really interesting the # of positive reviews the CD is receiving in the US media. Some noted critics have said some very nice things...

However, I think it's unfair to critique music until one has had dozens of listens - in order and mixed. It seems you have to give the music a chance to break into your soul. If it does, then a success can be declared. If not, well, either more time is needed or it isn't meant to me. My point? I'm amazed at the # of ultra-negative or ultra-positive reviews to date. The pace of society is so insane in how we have to make such quick decisions as to whether something sticks, works, is a success, etc. We've waited four yours...why the rush?

Lastly, it's funny hearing those who criticize Bono for his high adoration of this record. What do you expect him to say?

Damn! I really thought this was going to be a discussion of the shoes of U2. :huh: And that could have been so much fun (please don't direct me to PLEBA...PLEBA to me is like FYM is to many of you...just too weird).

I liked it when I downloaded it and listened to it on my computer, but you are right, it wasn't until I took a long drive with it blasting that I really appreciated it. The sorts of thngs you are able to catch while sitting in a rush hour freeway parking lot are amazing.

I became nasty in the first thread when I was discussing the album. I was not happy when I first heard it. I thought it was a little juvenille.

Three hours later, thanks to One4U2, I loved it.

A Man and a Woman was my first true love on the album. Now that is the first but second place goes to 10 other songs. I know that One Step Closer is my least favorite.

They never cease to amaze me which is why after 21 years I still love and listen.

:bow: :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

I fell in love with One Step when I heard that the lyrics described my life right now (which is not good) Literally all my stuff is being taken in a riptide. I am always across the road from hope. I'm thinking of making it my new location.

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

Back
Top Bottom