U2 Life span.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
Without sounding morbid, how much longer do you think we can expect to see U2 around for?? They have been going for over twenty years and they are no spring chickens. If they ended their career tomorrow it is still a remarkable achievement to still be successful after all this time.

As Bono has said, this new album is their first album. They will be around for a while yet.

I'll take a guess and say one more album and huge tour and they'll call it quits after that.

I'd be happy to see them go out at the top and not turn into The Rolling Stones, I'd hate to see that.

I hope longer than five years... given that Bono has recently renewed that whole 'two crap albums and we're out' speech, I can't see them going anywhere for a good while yet.

I think most people who talk like U2 are "old" are those twenty-somethings and younger. Listen, people, I'm 43 and I still feel like 15. If you have a passion for what you do and for life, numerical age does not matter!

You'll only understand when you get to their age, I guess. :wink:

We should not be afraid of U2 getting old.

For one thing, the boys from Dublin have yet to release an Irish folk music album. They've also haven't done a holiday-themed release or covers of old show tunes. Really, can Original Soundtracks No. 2 be that far behind?

Then there are the non-music related ventures. Larry wants to get into acting? Every soap opera on the planet has a role waiting for him. Adam can publish a cookbook. The Edge can come out with a line of Edge signature skullcaps and t-shirts with numbers on them. Because the Edge is so multi-talented, he could also lend his name and face to a brand of electric razors. The sky's the limit for him. And Bono can run for political office and continue to, uh, talk.

Lo-Fi said:
I'll take a guess and say one more album and huge tour and they'll call it quits after that.

I'd be happy to see them go out at the top and not turn into The Rolling Stones, I'd hate to see that.

I agree wholeheartedly with this entire post.

It's going to be a while before they entirely stop recording, in my opinion.

However, I would take a guess and say that there will be one more fully toured album after HTDAAB. That will take them right to 50, and give them enough material for a Best Of 2000-2010. After that, I would expect them to record as they feel like it, but maybe just release EPs every so often. I just think they love what they do way too much to pull the plug all at once. They'll slow down, but I can't imagine them fully stopping any time soon.

Seriously though, no offense to the poster, but I'm tired of seeing these threads. U2 are in incredible form right now, and HTDAAB isn't even in stores yet! We have a huge upcoming tour, tons of promo events, and awards shows to look forward to. If we keep thinking about their demise, we'll never be able to enjoy all of this. Yeah, the end will come at some point, but it's damn sure not here at the moment.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I don't want them turning into the Rolling Stones either. I'd love to see 'em put out a few new songs every so often, but not tour like crazy or continue to put out complete album after album.

Life after U2:

Adam will be working at a message parlour, Larry will be doing movies, The Edge will be a guitar instructor at some university in North America, Bono will continue to campaign around the world, and Paul McGuiness will be sent to a retirement home in Ireland. :wink:

I see U2 being old and wrinkly sitting around playing guitars and still be making music, just not doing tours and Adam will smoke pipes and look very distinguished.

IMO they will finish after this decade is over.

1) Bono's voice. Look at the transition from 80-90 and look at it from 90-00.
Sure it sounds good on record (ES, Hands, Vertigo) but how will it handle what it looks like a year+ long tour?

2) Bono's activities. We know the previous album and this one took longer due to him spending more time on his social activity, and we heard of some frictions over it. If Edge's early doubts and Adam's problems didn't do it, could it be Bono will tear apart U2? Also notice at VH1 Legends how Larry said he'd rather keep the friendship between them than the band.

3) They have a 3 Best of's deal - and a 6 album deal which I think started with Zooropa. That would mean...2 more after this one.

4) They said they're not interested in fading away and would rather go on top (Larry) and that they wouldn't play at the age of 60 (Bono).

5) All this talk about making the perfect album with this one makes me worried.

6) They seem to have more and more trouble working on the albums. Switched a producer on POP and worked so long they didn't rehearse for the tour properly, re-grouped during the making of ATYCLB and switched producers with the latest one, even though they most likely had the plan to release it in 2003.

Last edited:
If U2 end it tomorrow they have made great music for everyone to listen to.
Imo, there's no point thinking about when they will stop playing, enjoy it while you can.
:up:

shallow days said:
Bono has to stop smoking first so he can preserve his voice for a few more years.

I agree with this. On the last few tours, he has just about got away with it, but people have noticed his much weaker voice than from the 80s/early 90s. I have actually heard him apologise at the end of a show about his voice. (The last POPMART show) IMO smoking is the major reason for his voice troubles, and i think Bonos voice plays a major part in the future of the band. The other three band members will probably still be able to perform well in their 70s. Keeping a guitar in tune is easy, keeping a voice in tune is alot more difficult. I dont mean to be a pesamist in any way, its just something that i wonder about. Like someone has said, they've given us a bloody lot of great music, let just enjoy them while they're around. :|

I predict they will break up. Bono will do the solo thing. Adam will live like a hermit in the Himalayas, Larry will do the family thing and buy more Harleys and Edge will give guitar lessons. Then they will have to reunite.

I predict they will do another album/tour around 2007, followed by a Best Of 2000-2010 in 2010. Then I think they should release a Rattle and Hum-type live album covering the past 10 years or so. Then around 2012, an Ultimate Greatest Hits Album covering their entire career, and a giant tour.

Back
Top Bottom