U2, Last of the supergroups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

Bono atleast doesn't make it sound like a person is an object.

The thing about Bono is even if the lyrics are cheesefests, he puts enough emotion into his vocals that you actually believe what he says.

If he recorded Fix You, it might be listenable and not a puke fest.

martinkong2ae7.jpg

^^^
I just felt like posting that :wink:

:lmao: :lol:

annie_vox said:

:lmao: I have a friend who is crazy about them:huh: What can I say?...

I've heard that their 2004 record was a lot better than expected. :huh:

But they still won't rule as much of the world as Oasis. :tsk:

Salome said:
though I do think there will be a new supergroup I am about 99% sure it isn't any group we already know about

I agree with you.

While I like Coldplay I think their last album was a bit of a disappointment artistically and commercially. They need to have a BIG album next time or they will become the next Oasis IMO. By that I mean HUGE expectations, ALOT of hype, and while they are a good band, they never quite met those expectations for the long haul. :shrug:

Last edited:
u2 will be the last supergroup. There still be big bands but none that sell the same albums or ticket sales.

Blue Room said:

I agree with you.

While I like Coldplay I think their last album was a bit of a disappointment artistically and commercially. They need to have a BIG album next time or they will become the next Oasis IMO. By that I mean HUGE expectations, ALOT of hype, and while they are a good band, they never quite met those expectations for the long haul. :shrug:

:up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Wayne: Good call. It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.

:lmao:!!! Wayne's World is brilliant!

And LMP, that pic too! :lmao:

There's no way at this point in time any "supergroup" will appear.
Coldplay just doesn't have it - people only know the lead singer, they have no clue who the other guys are. Muse??? Nope. Pearl Jam are the closest contenders but I just don't know???

actually downloading origins and absolution as we speak. Had the new one for a while and i crave whats behind it

Harry Vest said:
There's no way at this point in time any "supergroup" will appear.
Coldplay just doesn't have it - people only know the lead singer, they have no clue who the other guys are. Muse??? Nope. Pearl Jam are the closest contenders but I just don't know???

Do you think people knew who the Edge, Larry and Adam were when U2 began??:

it almost like that with every band

Last edited:
There won't be anymore supergroups because the supergroups had to fight their way to the top. In this day and age, record companies will drop you if you don't have immediate success. The power U2 has, isn't achievable for artists coming up these days.

The thing I think will hold back Coldplay is a lack of pain.To paraphrase Sting, you don't need pain to write songs but it makes it alot easier. Coldplay doesn't seem to have fear or crisis in thier lives. They don't seem to play like thier lives depend on it.

As for a list of supergroups:
60's/70's -The Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd
80's/90's-The Police, U2

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think some of the newer bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Muse, Keane, and Snow Patrol have a bit of a chance. That doesn't mean I'd want them to be.

I think Radiohead missed the boat in 2000.

I don't know. I really like Keane and Snow Patrol, but they lack that charisma needed to be a supergroup. I like Muse, but have never seen them or even know what they look like.

Killers maybe, but we'll have to see, if they can learn to write better lyrics they may have a chance.

Radiohead are one of my favorite bands but I think they lack that charisma as well.

Pearl Jam could have done, but chose not to.

Screwtape2 said:
There won't be anymore supergroups because the supergroups had to fight their way to the top. In this day and age, record companies will drop you if you don't have immediate success. The power U2 has, isn't achievable for artists coming up these days.

I would have agreed with you a couple years ago, but the industry is going to change over the next decade. With the internet, i tunes, myspace, etc everything will change. You have more bands that are making it without labels, the whole concept of the album may change with itunes, so the industry will change.

So who knows if there will be anymore or not...

Maybe the industry has changed so much that the concept of a "supergroup" is no longer possible.

Bands have to have immediate success, and be whored out like...well...whores. They have to fit a mold and such and may sacrifice substance for style.

They can be successful in terms of sales, but it won't be the same as a U2 or a Rolling Stones-type "supergroup"

I think after Muse tours the US in the next couple months, they will have a much bigger following than before.
Black Holes and Revelations is an unbelievably awesome album!

LemonMacPhisto is right about having to fit into a mold. The problem today is that most bands sound alot alike and the bands that sound really different seem to keep out of the mainstream. When think about the supergroups, they have a sound that is uniquely thier own. Bands today sound like U2, The Verve, Radiohead and Depeche Mode.

I think Pearl Jam have missed the boat on being a super group. The only really band I see being a super group are the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It takes time to become a super group, and you need the history and the depth of material. Pearl Jam have that, but have something missing in my opinion

wang_chung said:
I think Pearl Jam have missed the boat on being a super group. The only really band I see being a super group are the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It takes time to become a super group, and you need the history and the depth of material.

People forget RHCP have been together 23 years. I think they've lost their window of oppurtunity. Of course they are making more "acceptable" music these days, but it's a little too late.

There wont be a super group like we saw with U2 ever again, even U2 themselves had to work very hard to continiously have that super group image.

The days of the 60s and 70s supergroups are long over and they arent coming back anytime soon the industry changed too much.

Bono's shades said:
What about Green Day?

They've been around since the early '90s and their last album was huge.

Out of all the bands listed, this is probably the only one I see as a possibility. They have the charisma and they are actually making an effort towards that status. Some want it, some don't, they seem to want it.

The only thing I see working against them is their early catalog is pretty juvenile songwriting. Not everyone has taken them seriously until the last 2 albums or so... U2 was a band that, like them or not, people took seriously.

We'll see...

I think U2 will stay around for another 5-7 years retrospectively. I don't know how much creative juice is left in them, but hearing songs like "Vertigo" "City Of Blinding Lights" and "Love And Peace Or Else" it breathes new light into the band, hinting at a possible new direction. I think 'Bomb' is kind of bland, because it lacks bells and whistles say of Achtung, Baby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom