U2, Jesus, and Vanilla Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thermopylae

The Fly
If anyone recalls from the U2 Bible "At the End of the World" - the writer makes note that at the end of the book Bono was 33, the same age Jesus was when he died and was resurrected. There was also reference to the fact that our "forms" will always be represented as we were at age 33 - whether we died at 5 or 98.

I just found it strange that in Vanilla Sky - a movie that explores immortality, the main character is also 33. Did anyone else catch that?

Originally posted by Thermopylae:
If anyone recalls from the U2 Bible "At the End of the World" - the writer makes note that at the end of the book Bono was 33, the same age Jesus was when he died and was resurrected. There was also reference to the fact that our "forms" will always be represented as we were at age 33 - whether we died at 5 or 98.

errr...I wouldn't exactly call that a fact. It's a supposition based on tradition. We don't even know for sure what age Jesus was when he died...it's an assumption.
smile.gif

I am not really arguing facts here - but concepts. I am trying to understand the significance - real or symbolic - of the age 33. Is it our mental or physical peak? Is it hen we are finally "grown up?"

Don't mind me, I was just being anal. But it is an interesting concept, I agree.
smile.gif
I don't know that there really is a specific age in life that would "across the board" be someone's peak. We are so unique that I would think it's different for everyone. In reference to the movie though, it would not be surprising if the age 33 was intended to be significant for the very reason you suggested. (I'm speaking based on reviews at this point, I haven't seen it). Interesting that you thought of it. I doubt many people would.

C'mon people - I want to know what you think. Did the authors of the Bible, director of Vanilla Sky, and the reporter that covered U2 for several years see the age 33 as something of a symbolic age for a person? Is it just a coincidence? If it a symbol, what do you feel it symbolizes?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it does deal with some sort of near death/murder/new life motife, right? I would say the 33 years is certainly used symbolically, because that's when Jesus died and was resurrected. It's an immediate association for Christians.

Lyrics from the Smashing Pumpkins song Thirty-Three that stuck out to me:

the earth laughs beneath my heavy feet
at the blasphemy in my old jangly walk
steeple guide me to my heart and home

Back
Top Bottom