U2 - it can't get any better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
In my modest,humble opinion the last 2 u2 albums are the best that they have ever made:drool: After listening to them now for the last 20 years i feel that the music that they are making at the moment is superb.Kite,walk on,when i look at the world,beautiful day,miracle drug,SYCMIOYO,city of blinding lights,origin of the species,yahweh are all modern day classics.
2000 onwards u2 IMO has seen the boys go from strength to strength and i cant wait for the next album:| .On a slightly different thread,how many albums would you say that they have left in them?????

I must be brief, for I have class in 9 minutes!

I won't say that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are their best albums (nothing tops AB, my friend :wink: ), but they are vastly underrated amidst the U2 community (atleast around these parts). "Beautiful Day" is what got me into the band and their catalogue is what kept me interested... HTDAAB is more fuel to the fire :D

About how many albums I think they've got left... I'd honestly have to say 2 more studio records, then they'd retire. I don't think they're gonna be like the Rolling Stones and be touring in their 60's... they're too smart for that, IMO. They want to leave behind a legacy that left a good taste in everyone's mouth.

I think U2 will keep making albums as long as they keep not sucking. Yeah, 2 more albums this decade, but then who knows?

I think ATYCLB suffered from poor production, and some mediocre tracks, but the Bomb is THE BOMB!

I think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both great albums :up:

But, as Catman said, "nothing tops AB my friend!"

I agree with Niceman too, theyll keep making albums until they start to suck.

But I dont think they'll be retiring anytime soon....after all theyre not 60 for a good few years yet :wink:

Well I beg to differ. I am not a big fan of ATYCLB. I like Kite and IALW and the version of Walk On from the 7 CD but Beautiful Day and Elevation are nothing special. Wild Honey was a joke. Stuck bores the hell out of me. New York and When I look at the world are okay again nothing amazing.

I love HTDAAB. I think that is a great album. I really love all of the songs on the album minus perhaps One step. I even love the B-sides so far from the album.

I don't think you can compare these to anything else they did it is a different time and I'm sorry but nothing compares to Joshua Tree. That was their deal with the devil album and made them HUGE.

I think little by little U2 will slow down. They might have another album come out quickly based on their interviews that they have another album almost written but after that I think it will be a long time. When Bono calls later, I'll ask him what he thinks :wink:

Personally I think HTDAAB is waaay overrated, but ATYCLB is really good. Beautiful Day was the first U2 song I ever heard, and the reason I got into the band. I don't like Wild Honey and In A Little While much, though.

Though nothing tops POP, my friend. ;)

WalkOn21 said:
Personally I think HTDAAB is waaay overrated, but ATYCLB is really good. Beautiful Day was the first U2 song I ever heard, and the reason I got into the band. I don't like Wild Honey and In A Little While much, though.

Though nothing tops POP, my friend. ;)

Personally I think it's the other way around. ATYCLB was praised as U2's album that saved rock n' roll. The acclaim for it was way over the top and in my opinion HTDAAB suffers based on that alone. U2 already got the "comeback" acclaim and recognition when in reality HTDAAB is the album that deserves it out of the two. HTDAAB is far and away the better of the two in my opinion. That said I really dig ATYCLB as well, just not nearly as much. To me HTDAAB is U2's second best effort behind Achtung Baby.

ATYCLB > HTDAAB

:up:

i hope I got that right, if not it's meant to say ATYCLB is miles better than it's follow up...!

boystupidboy said:
In my modest,humble opinion the last 2 u2 albums are the best that they have ever made:drool: After listening to them now for the last 20 years i feel that the music that they are making at the moment is superb.Kite,walk on,when i look at the world,beautiful day,miracle drug,SYCMIOYO,city of blinding lights,origin of the species,yahweh are all modern day classics.
2000 onwards u2 IMO has seen the boys go from strength to strength and i cant wait for the next album:| .On a slightly different thread,how many albums would you say that they have left in them?????

Your username kinda gives the thread an ironic tinge!:wink:

boystupidboy said:

I can resist no longer. Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug (virtually the same song) SYCMIOYO, cobl are by no means modern day classics. In my ears they sound like tired re-workings of past glories, that is 80's glories. SYCMIOYO is a terrible song with a goddamn awful chorus. U2's last 2 albums are littered with songs that sound so ordinary when compared with their previous FAR superior works. Songs such as Stuck In A Moment, Wild Honey(a virtual b-side for U2 pre-2000), Peace On Earth(dross), Grace(more dross), SYCMIOYO, COBL, Miracle Drug, All Because Of You(Desire clone), Crumbs From Your Table(worse Edge uninspired soloing I have EVER heard), A Man and A woman are nothing more than album filler compared to U2's glorious past. All these songs have one thing in common.....Over used choruses that begin to piss u off after hearing the songs over a length of time. Never used to be the case but thats how it is these days.

Having said that, the last 2 albums still have their high points which are Walk On(this song came first before the shite that was Crumbs which tried to copy it but failed miserably), Kite, In A Little While, When I Look At The World(one of the most underrated songs EVER), New York, Ground Beneath Her Feet(how U2 used to write beautiful love songs), Love and Peace Or Else(has the spirit of Achtung Baby), Original Of The Species.

Overall their song writing and albums are going downhill and not getting better, no matter what Liliyshite says!:wink:

Re: Re: U2 - it can't get any better

rjhbonovox said:

All these songs have one thing in common.....Over used choruses that begin to piss u off after hearing the songs over a length of time. Never used to be the case but thats how it is these days.

I feel for you my friend....:hug:

rjhbonovox said:

Overall their song writing and albums are going downhill and not getting better, no matter what Liliyshite says!:wink:

Interestingly Lillywhite, in Uncut magazine late last year, said that ATYCLB had four great songs and that the rest were good and not-so-good. I would definitely agree with him on that point, and with the idea that HTDAAB is a big improvement.

And I agree with the comments that Wild Honey, Peace On Earth, Grace, and A Man And A Woman aren't up to much - Grace is awful - but then Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Miami, Playboy Mansion, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Trip Through Your Wires, and a lot of the earlier stuff are quite throwaway too, are they not? And they're from great albums. It's EXTREMELY difficult to make a perfect album if you've got 11-12 songs. The best albums ever made - see Dylan's Highway 61, Blood On The Tracks; Zeppelin's IV; CSNY's Deja Vu, etc - generally have a punchier 8-10 tracks.

Still, Mercy's fantastic, the originial riff on Xanax and Wine was great (Fast Cars mellowed it out too much but is a nice new direction), and they really seem to be enjoying playing live and enjoying the music a lot at the moment so there's great hope for the future.

Aardvark747 said:
No more dissing of AMAAW in this thread please!:cool:

Apologies! It's not that bad a song, and I get why people like it, it's just not great, if you know what I mean.

rjhbonovox said:

I can resist no longer. Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug (virtually the same song) SYCMIOYO, cobl are by no means modern day classics. In my ears they sound like tired re-workings of past glories, that is 80's glories. SYCMIOYO is a terrible song with a goddamn awful chorus. U2's last 2 albums are littered with songs that sound so ordinary when compared with their previous FAR superior works. Songs such as Stuck In A Moment, Wild Honey(a virtual b-side for U2 pre-2000), Peace On Earth(dross), Grace(more dross), SYCMIOYO, COBL, Miracle Drug, All Because Of You(Desire clone), Crumbs From Your Table(worse Edge uninspired soloing I have EVER heard), A Man and A woman are nothing more than album filler compared to U2's glorious past. All these songs have one thing in common.....Over used choruses that begin to piss u off after hearing the songs over a length of time. Never used to be the case but thats how it is these days.

Having said that, the last 2 albums still have their high points which are Walk On(this song came first before the shite that was Crumbs which tried to copy it but failed miserably), Kite, In A Little While, When I Look At The World(one of the most underrated songs EVER), New York, Ground Beneath Her Feet(how U2 used to write beautiful love songs), Love and Peace Or Else(has the spirit of Achtung Baby), Original Of The Species.

:up:

I reckon I only like about half of each of the last 2 albums and with some of them, "like" is more prevalent than "love".

I just don't think U2 are very INSPIRED, these days. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: U2 - it can't get any better

keosulli said:

And I agree with the comments that Wild Honey, Peace On Earth, Grace, and A Man And A Woman aren't up to much - Grace is awful - but then Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Miami, Playboy Mansion, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Trip Through Your Wires, and a lot of the earlier stuff are quite throwaway too, are they not? And they're from great albums.

Tryin to throw your arms is a GREAT song and fits perfectly into that album. Miami is superb also and is a great song to follow Gone, Playboy Mansion is also a great album track follows Miami nicely and Daddy' gonna pay for your crashed car is great also, probably too electronica for todays U2. Throwaway songs....THESE? I am baffled. These are what you would call great album tracks. When listening to these albums I skip none of the above tracks. When listening to the past 2 albums I am constantly skipping songs. These last 2 albums have the weakest set of songs on them since War, which is the last average U2 album but that can be forgiven as it had the classics New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday and also U2 were an up and coming band then.:wink:

boystupidboy said:

:up: Check out my ATYCLB appreciation thread. You are spot on. I don't know about two best ever, but they would come extremely close. ATYCLB is currently my favourite, HTDAAB maybe my third.

They are modern day classics, PEOPLE NEED TO STOP COMPARING THEM TO U2'S PAST, WE KNOW THEY DON'T COMPARE IN YOUR OPINION.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 - it can't get any better

rjhbonovox said:

Tryin to throw your arms is a GREAT song and fits perfectly into that album. Miami is superb also and is a great song to follow Gone, Playboy Mansion is also a great album track follows Miami nicely and Daddy' gonna pay for your crashed car is great also, probably too electronica for todays U2. Throwaway songs....THESE? I am baffled. These are what you would call great album tracks. When listening to these albums I skip none of the above tracks.

I find it so funny that you think everything U2 did in the 90's was faultless. You are so blind and biased, it's ridiculous. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 - it can't get any better

roy said:

I find it so funny that you think everything U2 did in the 90's was faultless. You are so blind and biased, it's ridiculous. :wink:

The whole time I have been a member I have always said that the 90's fans were blind. They love the 90's so much they wouldn't accept anything U2 did these days.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 - it can't get any better

COBL_04 said:

The whole time I have been a member I have always said that the 90's fans were blind. They love the 90's so much they wouldn't accept anything U2 did these days.

I wouldn't generalise all nineties fans like that but it's certainly true for some.

Call me a blind follower, but I love everything they do. :wink:

Seriously though, it's impossible for me to say if Pop is better than ATYCLB, I love them both, it just depends on the mood I'm in.

I don't know if this was way off-topic but..

I really like the new album too. It shouldn't be compared to pop or JT or whatever you fancy, because it's a whooole different scene.

it isn't the nineties anymore. when it was, sure, i agree to all pop-fans that it was great, but why oh why to some people say that now they're dull?
do these guys really need 40 ft lemons to make the music great?

After seeing U2 since Dec 84 (and every tour after with exception of Lovetown), my only complaint with this tour is that the set list slows down too much for me (ex: Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Yahweh,Miss Sarajevo ). I prefer at most two slower songs. I would like to see Desire played full electric. How about keeping Gloria in the set? Yes, I admit I am a old timer also, if they play songs from any of the first three albums I get excited. I did see them in Dublin this June ( a great experience for me) and when they played Out of Control, I was in heaven!

In reference to the them being out of their prime and not the same as 23 years ago, yes like me they are in their mid 40's now. You do change. Like some of my favorite bands I have seen in the past few years (REM, Stones and the Who), they have still managed to put on some very energetic shows (the Stones still play with more energy than most young bands). Do I always care for their newer stuff? No, but I still enjoy seeing them live. I have been listening to the Lovetown tour shows and I really wish I could have seen a show.

U2 has still managed to produce some good songs of quality later in their career than any of them. Do I like the last two Cd's? About half, which would make one great CD! I hoped that the next CD really lets the Edge cut loose. Rock out Edge!!!

I will be seeing them again in late October (Detroit). Hopefully I will be able to get inside the circle. Hmmm, I wonder if I should wear my 84 UF tour shirt...

ReplyForward

Back
Top Bottom