U2 is eligible for the Rock N Roll HOF in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
2004. I don't know if this was actually cleared up, but I remeber that it was being discussed recently here so i thought I would give the info. According to a VH1 inside the RnR HOF special, they claimed that U2 would be eligible in 2004. There you have it.

Peace.

------------------
Peace on Earth.

Schweeeeet!

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

I'll have to see that special because I really think it won't be until 2006. My understanding that its 25 years after the first full length release of an album. So that would be Oct. 20, 1980. The awards happen in March, so that would mean March 2006. U2-3 was not a full length album. Yes it was released in 2004 on CBS Ireland. But it was only a local release and only 1,000 copies were made. But I guess will know in a few years, but I'm betting on March 2006.

Originally posted by STING2:
I'll have to see that special because I really think it won't be until 2006. My understanding that its 25 years after the first full length release of an album. So that would be Oct. 20, 1980. The awards happen in March, so that would mean March 2006. U2-3 was not a full length album. Yes it was released in 2004 on CBS Ireland. But it was only a local release and only 1,000 copies were made. But I guess will know in a few years, but I'm betting on March 2006.

I was surprised to. When i saw it, I kinda freaked out. They showed U2 first in a series of artists who are not in the hall of fame but will be eligible soon. Nirvana was up in 2014. I don't know if this is entirely accurate, but hey, it's something to go on.

Peace.

------------------
Peace on Earth.

I saw that last night, and I'd bet good money that it's incorrect. Vh1 probably just had someone look up U2's first release which was U23 in 1979, but that is not their first studio album, which I think is the eligibility requirement. The offical RNRHOF wensite says, 25 years after their first 'record' so techinically that might be correct, but based on the results of the previous years, I am betting its first studio album. Hope I'm wrong though.

if the bet is to choose whether VH1 gets something right or wrong then I know where I'm gonna put my money on

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

well, I think they had the voting last year for the inductions this year. maybe VH1 means the band will be eligible to be voted in on ballots sent out in 2004-- the announcement and actual induction is then made in 2005 which would techincally be 25 years after the release of their first album. [based just on year and not on actual date].

Amazing that U2 will be inducted roughly 10 years before Nirvana and while U2 is still strong, Nirvana is gone. Soundgarden is gone. Pearl Jam isn't as commercially successful as they used to be. Amazing how our boys can keep going.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom