U2 iPod related question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dano

The Fly
Fellow members of interference:

I have purchased a U2 ipod but my home computer has died. My question is this. If I set my iPod up on my work computer is that going to mess me up when my new computer gets to my house next week or will I just be able to start working off of iTunes at the house?

dano said:
Fellow members of interference:

I have purchased a U2 ipod but my <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=home%20computer" onmouseover="window.status='home computer'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">home computer</a> has died. My question is this. If I set my iPod up on my work computer is that going to mess me up when my new computer gets to my house next week or will I just be able to start working off of iTunes at the house?

so you will have two different computers where you sync your ipod?

i don't see why that would mess you up. i do it with a palm t5 and blackberry with no problem.

you might get confused by two different music collections but there is no reason why the device will be hampered.

you will have access to both itunes platforms, but from home you will not be able to access the purchased itunes electronically, and visa versa. (unless you find the cool transfer program out there) … Your iPod will be fine. just hook it up and load your tunes from your home system.

You'll have to manually import songs if you use more than one computer for your iPod and have different songs on each. Otherwise when you plug it into the second one it will automatically erase whatever is not stored on that computer. You know what I mean? I can send you more detailed direction to use more than one computer on your iPod. They do have to be the same platform as well.

starsgoblue said:
You'll have to manually import songs if you use more than one computer for your iPod and have different songs on each. Otherwise when you plug it into the second one it will automatically erase whatever is not stored on that computer. You know what I mean? I can send you more detailed direction to use more than one computer on your iPod. They do have to be the same platform as well.

So if you have songs in your iTunes library that you put on your iPod but then deleted from iTunes, are you saying that the next time you hook up your iPod to your computer, it will see that those songs are not in your iTunes library anymore and therefore delete them from your iPod unless you select to do imports manually?

I'm an iPod idiot...but I should be getting one in January, so I'm trying to learn. :laugh:

Bonochick said:

So if you have songs in your iTunes library that you put on your iPod but then deleted from iTunes, are you saying that the next time you hook up your iPod to your computer, it will see that those songs are not in your iTunes library anymore and therefore delete them from your iPod unless you select to do imports manually?

I'm an iPod idiot...but I should be getting one in January, so I'm trying to learn. :laugh:

Yes, if you have your iPod set to sync automatically to your library in iTunes, and either change or delete the music on that playlist, you'll also change or delete the songs on your iPod the next time you sync it to refelct those changes made in iTunes.

Couple ways to work around this though. It's been mentioned that you can set the iPod to "manual", to add and delete items manually, or what I do is have a playlist within iTunes with my library of songs for my iPod, seperate from the main library. I just set my iPod to sync with that specific playlist only, this way I can utilize iTunes for other things without deleting my iPod songs.

Hope that helps.

That does help...and it's good to know! I have tons of music on CD, and I don't want it all stored on my computer, taking up hard drive space. I just want to get it on my computer to get it on my iPod...and then delete the songs from my computer.

Thank you! :)

Not a problem, glad I could help.

If you ever want to change the music on your iPod though, you have to keep the music on your computer, otherwise when (or if) you change selection, you'll lose what was on there.

I use a couple of external hard drives to store my music on. I find them very handy, plus I don't use any space on the hard drive of my computer. Plus if my computer crashes for some reason, I won't lose the music.

Back
Top Bottom