(U2) iPod & Complete U2 owners: HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
I posted this in another thread but am desperate for some help so I thought I'd start a new one...

I hope somebody can help me here:

I've just bought the new U2 iPod and the Complete U2. I also bought the in-ear headphones as the ones that came with the iPod didn't seem very good.

So I've uploaded the complete U2 and hit play. The sound seems terrible to me. The volume doesn't go very high at all, and the sound is tinny and soul-less. The 's' sounds distort and hurt my ears. My ten year old walkman sounds twice as good.

To top it off the front has a major scratch on it after just one day!

I'm SO dissapointed. I can't listen to U2 or anything else though this little device if it's going to sound this bad.

Please somebody tell me that there is a magic button somewhere that I can press to make it all good!! I've just spend so much money on this damn thing. Should I be changing my settings in iTunes??

HELP!!

Jim, i went to "settings" and turned "sound check" to "off". This helped alot. You need to get a good set of headphones also.

Cheers

If the sound isn't that great, maybe there is something wrong with it? If there is an Apple store nearby I'd take it there to see what's up with it.

Mine sounded like heaven when I first hit play...:shrug:

I'm with stars on this one - the sound should be really good a couple of trouble shooting ideas
1. sounds stupid but make sure the ear phones are secure in the ipod - if not it will end up sounding like the music is in mono
2. the sound check button is important

otherwise get to an apple store - they are usually very helpful or call 1-800-MY-APPLE

In-ear headphones seem to have much lower volume than the other ones.
Try and play with the original earphones, sound check off, and EQ set too "Acoustic"

In iTunes you can adjust the volume for the tracks also. Hit all and press Apple+I. In this menu you can adjust the volume for the tracks. Click ok and it will load for a couple of minutes. Eject your iPod, and you will surely notice the difference,

Thanks a million you guys. I think I've done most of the things you've suggested.. luckily Apple have just opened a store in London so I'll take it in.

One thing God Part III - you mentioned press Apple + I, I'm on a PC so do you know how I can access that menu (I don't have an Apple button)??

Thanks again!

Jimbo

Jim:

I'm on a PC and I highly recommend you just play with the iPod. :yes: I say this not condescendingly, but from experience as I just bought mine a week ago - and it does take some learning. Or maybe it's just my small brain. :wink:

Here are some tricks I learned:
  • On iTunes, you can pop in any of your current CD's and transport them to your iPod. Keep iTunes open on your computer and put in a CD in your CD drive. iTunes will automatically recognize the CD and artist. Click the "+" button on iTunes (bottom of the page). This creates a new playlist folder. Entitle the playlist whatever you want - but usually the name of the CD you just put into your computer. Then transfer the songs by dragging them (from the CD on iTunes) to this new playlist folder. iTunes will automatically convert them to MP3's and you can then transfer them to your iPod.
  • To increase the volume of any song at any time, as the song is playing, simply slide your finger across the click wheel. You'll see a volume bar go up. You can also do the "sound check" option under "Settings" as recommended above. Additionally, you can change the equalizer conditions (like to "rock" or "dance") under "Settings". All three can improve the volume and sound of the songs.
  • You can make as many playlists as you want. Transfer your old MP3's. Transfer new MP3's. Arrange them in any order. For example, have a "rock mix" or "dance mix" or "favorite U2 mix" playlist. You can then transfer this to your iPod. This will create your favorite songs, which you can listen to anywhere.
  • I highly recommend a carrying case for your iPod. There are leather cases with a clip made especially for these click wheel iPods. They protect the entire iPod, allow you to clip it to your belt (for example), while allowing easy access to the click wheel. They are readily available at a Best Buy for a decent price.
  • The back of my U2-iPod was also scratched. I returned it and got another one. They said it looked like a factory issue (i.e., something that happened at the factory, not by me). It was easy to return - no problems and no questions asked. My new one looks great. So return it if you have the receipt.
  • Use iTunes for arranging all your playlists and transferring them. Just remember, if you have iTunes automatically transfer your playlists, anything you have stored there will be eliminated. So don't erase your playlists unless you change the setting. When you have your iPod plugged into your computer, an iPod image will appear on iTunes. Click that and click on "settings". There's an "automatic", "semi-automatic" (which I use as you can select which playlists you want on your iPod), and "manual".
  • You can buy car adapters, home adapters and even mini-speakers. The car adapter is fantastic. I have one that's just one device. It plugs into the cigarette lighter so it charges the iPod as well. I tune the adapter to a radio station (like 88.1 FM), tune my car radio to the same station and press play on the iPod! My adapter works great, but you may have to see if one works for you. Not all are created equal and some have problems with fading stations. The same principle is used for home. For example, I have a small little adapter (under $30) that I bought for my home stereo. Same idea is used - I plug the adapter into my iPod, tune it, tune the same radio station on my stereo and press play. Now the iPod is playing through my stereo speakers! Finally, the mini-speakers (I have Altech Lansing) are great too. Altech are portable and come with a carrying case. They also charge the iPod. They produce a good sound and allow you to play the iPod anywhere. The speakers operate via batter or AC adapter.

I'll end my tips here as this should get you going. Needless to say, I'm having loads of fun with my iPod - this is clearly the new way to listen to music for me!

Dr Who you are a star. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.. it's all very helpful!!

I knew I could rely on you guys! :)

Last edited:
i have a quick question since i'm on this thread anyway...i'll be downloading the complete u2 for my ipod next week and was just wondering how long does it take to download the complete u2?

You definitely need to have a high speed connection. If you are dial-up, it could take way too long and you might have your download disrupted. However, if that occurs, never fear - you can resume downloading later.

I have a cable connection, but it still takes several hours to download - so be prepared. However, you can still do other things while that download is occurring, and I believe you can even listen to the songs that have downloaded already.

After they are done downloading, I transferred all the songs from my "music purchased" folder into a new playlist folder called "Complete U2" (my name choice). You can then separate the songs by album simply by clicking on the album tab. This will nicely put all the HTDAAB or JT or whatever songs together. I further separated things by creating a series of small playlists, one for each album. For example, my ATYCLB folder has not only the album tracks, but the single releases, b-sides, and remixes. This way I was able to nicely group my music. But of course, you can group however you like.

Just remember - all playlists MUST be created on iTunes. This is then transferred to the iPod. The iPod will play all MP3's, regardless of where or how you obtained them. However, you cannot organize playlists on the iPod - this must be done on iTunes (and even if the iPod could do this, it would be a royal pain - far easier on iTunes).

What I don't know is if iTunes works well with other MP3 players or if the iPod will work without using iTunes.

ABEL said:
i have a quick question since i'm on this thread anyway...i'll be downloading the complete u2 for my ipod next week and was just wondering how long does it take to download the complete u2?

It took me 14 hours with DSL :crack:

ABEL said:

On the 1st day it was available started @ 12:30 pm & finished @2:30 pm.

with Cable modem.

doctorwho said:
After they are done downloading, I transferred all the songs from my "music purchased" folder into a new playlist folder called "Complete U2" (my name choice). You can then separate the songs by album simply by clicking on the album tab. This will nicely put all the HTDAAB or JT or whatever songs together. I further separated things by creating a series of small playlists, one for each album. For example, my ATYCLB folder has not only the album tracks, but the single releases, b-sides, and remixes. This way I was able to nicely group my music. But of course, you can group however you like.

This was a bit of a pain when I first got The Complete U2 into my iPod. Because each of the album titles is preceded by The Complete U2 (e.g., The Complete U2 - Achtung Baby), the album titles were too long to view on the iPod. I had to create playlists that only contained the main album title for easy viewing.

Like doctorwho, I also created playlists called HTDAAB All which contained the whole album plus b-sides and alternate tracks. Now, it's easy to go through playlists while going 70mph on the freeway.

Why not just edit the album tag?

I.E.

The Complete U2 - War
to
War - The Complete U2

Back
Top Bottom