U2 Induction Ceremony -- What songs do they play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport

Refugee
We all know that Springsteen inducts U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday but my question is What songs will U2 get up and play?

I Will Follow? - This started everything.
Streets? - Probably too big for the occasion.
One? - Might be appropriate.
SYCMIOYO?

Anyone have any thoughts here?

no no no, I agree with Fu Manchu if they play something new it will reek of shameless self promotion. Lame.

they should play some combination of 3 or 4 of these:

I Will Follow (it really started it all, I think this one is a good bet)
NYD (probably should play this one, it's great live)
SBS (a token live song, I hope they dont play it)
Pride (the first big hit of the 80's)
One (the consensus 90's best song)
Streets (must play, although it might be to small of a venue)
Bad (perhaps the U2 fan favorite that isnt a huge hit)
WOWY/Still Havent Found (#1 hits in America)

those are the big hits, the staples, the ones that average people want to hear, they are playing to represent their careers, it would be a little silly to play a song that is 5 months old, IMO.

I would like to see NYD/Streets/One, I think that is probably the best combination, although they will almost surely play I Will Follow

U2DMfan said:
no no no, I agree with Fu Manchu if they play something new it will reek of shameless self promotion. Lame.

That's fucking silly. Artist enjoy playing their latest songs, the ones that are in their head right then.

What is playing live? It's self promotion.

I was just thinking that maybe they'll play Out of Control...that would stir things up or maybe 11 O'Clock, Tick Tock....or they could just leave everyone opened mouth with a rendition of Mercy.:drool:

Either way...I think there will be one helluva jam session as other Legends join them on the stage as Bono leaps from table top to table top, Edge smashes his guitar, Larry kicks around his drum set and Adam just stands there playing the bass and watching..

:dance: :applaud: :dance:

Last edited:
If "artists enjoy playing their latest songs" is a good excuse, then name me one who has done it at the RnR Hall of Fame.

This is not just a gig for fans, this is a gig that is in support of induction into the hall of fame for a careers work. It's a lifetime achievement award of sorts.

It's about demonstrating for the audiences in the arena, and at home who watch on TV, the artists career, it's supposed to represent something.

So in what way would playing Vertigo or Sometimes be representative of their careers? For a band with a catalogue of 11 albums, countless singles, nearly 30 years under their belt to play songs that are merely a few months old isn't a little shameless?

well, I think I am in the majority, I haven't seen one, or heard of one artist who has been inductued who plays brand new music.
Clue me in to one who has done it, it's surely possible, but I havent seen or heard of it.

"What is playing live? It's self promotion."

No, it's promotion.

If you promote the cause in Africa, you play Live AID or 46664 or if you promote Free Tibet, you play the Tibetan Freedom concert, is this all self-flaggelation or playing music for another cause? I think U2 had other intentions, but I guess they were just trying to sell records? I dont think so.

U2, i think should promote their career as a band with longevity and honor their fans and their own music by playing songs that represent their catalogue. If they play the "new hit" to try to sell their tour, that reeks of shameless self promotion, as I said earlier.

It wouldnt be the end of the world, it would just be lame.

Last edited:
They should play a song off the new album in my mind they are one of very few bands that has the oppourtunity to do so.

How many songs do they get to play? If they can play multiple songs, they should represent their whole career by showing both its depth through older material, and its continued vibrancy through a new song. I don't see the issue with that. Few bands have the longevity to even be able to CONSIDER a new song after 25 years.

Axver said:
How many songs do they get to play? If they can play multiple songs, they should represent their whole career by showing both its depth through older material, and its continued vibrancy through a new song. I don't see the issue with that. Few bands have the longevity to even be able to CONSIDER a new song after 25 years.

Agreed. :up:

U2DMfan said:
If "artists enjoy playing their latest songs" is a good excuse, then name me one who has done it at the RnR Hall of Fame.

Name me one that was still relevant and had a new album out at the time of induction.

You said this is about showing their career, well aren't their new songs part of their career?

Do Miss America said:

You said this is about showing their career, well aren't their new songs part of their career?

:yes: Aye Captain...and here's hoping they turn it up LOUD!!!

Do Miss America said:

Name me one that was still relevant and had a new album out at the time of induction.

Bruce Springsteen is still relevant and he never did it (new album or not). Aerosmith had an album out at the time and still get airplay and they didn't do it, I don't think. Prince actually had an album and was inducted last year. I believe no artist has been that "lame" to do it. IMO there is some tradition involved with RnR HOF, and to go against that would just make U2 look pretentious and shallow.

PLEASE U2! DON'T play new songs at the RnR HOF!!!

Would Beautiful Day count as "current"? I wouldn't be surprised if U2 played it. They couldn't exactly be accused of trying to plug their latest work since BD is off an album that was released more than four years ago and it would still show they don't have to go back very far into the past to play a song that was not only very popular but won several Grammys.

(Actually I'm sick to death of Beautiful Day and would rather they didn't play it simply for that reason, but I could see why it would make sense for them to do so.)

They play 2 or 3 songs. None of the new songs, outside of the opinions of fan sites, have been firmly established. If they play Beautiful Day, it's ok b/c IMO after nearly 4 years time, it is has become an established U2 song and actually defines U2 of the past 4 years. People might say Vertigo... I'd say give it a few. That IPOD commercial gave Vertigo just as much infamy as it did sales and playing it for the RnR HOF would be controversial IMO and not in a good way.

If they played Sometimes or ABOY, I don't think the crowd would care for it. I know "Sometimes" is such a great song and they have to play it but they already got a huge bump in post Grammy album sales by playing "Sometimes" at the Grammys. Obviously this action pushed sales of HTDAAB back into the top 10 so playing it in the HOF would be unneccessary after what the Grammys did and the impact "Sometimes" had. I mean that song is that good!

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

Bruce Springsteen is still relevant and he never did it (new album or not). Aerosmith had an album out at the time and still get airplay and they didn't do it, I don't think. Prince actually had an album and was inducted last year. I believe no artist has been that "lame" to do it. IMO there is some tradition involved with RnR HOF, and to go against that would just make U2 look pretentious and shallow.

Bruce didn't have a new album. When was the last time Prince had a hit? Aerosmith played Sweet Emotion, Jaded (off their new album at the time) and Train Kept a Rollin.

I think 'Bad' would be appropriate...'Until the End of the World' would rock. 'Out of Control' could be a possibility.

here's my view:

Beautiful Day
One
I Still Haven't Found...
I Will Follow

or

BD
IWF
One
Pride (ITNOL)

1 song per era

I would love to see any combination of the following:

One
Streets
Out of Control
Sometimes...
Until the End of the World

Do Miss America said:

Personally, I don't mind if they did a new song or not, but just to respond to this:

Elton John was inducted in 1994, and at the same time, was huge with The Lion King soundtrack, yet I don't believe he did any of those songs at the HOF.

The Rolling Stones were inducted in 1989, and at the same time, had the new album Steel Wheels out, and it did very well, at least in the U.S. Oh, I think that tour did OK, too. I don't think they did any new songs either, although I could be wrong.

Those were two that came to mind, anyway...

Do Miss America said:

Bruce didn't have a new album. When was the last time Prince had a hit? Aerosmith played Sweet Emotion, Jaded (off their new album at the time) and Train Kept a Rollin.

They didn't play Jaded I don't think, but if they did I don't think it was in it's entirety (but I can't remember b/c they were all over the place that year so a little snippet isn't out of the question)... Prince had a hit album during the year of his induction and was all over the media b/c it was his comeback year...

Last edited:
Axver said:

You say perfect promo... I say potential PR disaster...

As "die hard fans" of U2, it might seem ok to some to play new songs, but not everyone has the fan perception as you Axver. U2 sort of going against perceived tradition would open up a can of worms and criticisms that frankly I could care less for. It's all about perceptions and to you the fan it might be seem ok to go against the past on a night like that but it makes U2 appear pompous or gives the appearance of "special treatment" then other greats.

Remember the negative perceptions that Rattle & Hum created?

Do you honestly think anyone would want to listen you the Lion King?

Rolling Stones may have had a new album but they haven't been relevant for years at that point.

My guess will be either I Will Follow or Out of Control, Streets, and One.

My prediction:

I Will Follow
One
Where the Streets Have No Name

(Possible wild cards that could be subsititued for those three songs are Sunday Bloody Sunday or Pride. I suppose Beautiful Day, too, but that's a long shot and I think it's too new to deserve it.)

What I WISH they would play:

New Year's Day
Out of Control
Bad (snippet only) into Streets

Back
Top Bottom