U2 in Word Magazine '20 Worst Duets'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PookaMacP

War Child
The Word, No. 43, September 2006:
'The 20 Worst Duets As Elected by The Word'
'....Mary J. Blige & Bono - One [2006]
Ol' Just For Men collaborates in the murder-by-showbiz of U2's best song. This is so tragic that Bono ought to put together a charity gig to raise awareness of it.'

:lmao:

I agree completely with Word. I hate Mary J. Blige, but I hate Bono even more for letting her sing it. Such an awful version.

PookaMacP said:

Ol' Just For Men collaborates in the murder-by-showbiz of U2's best song. This is so tragic that Bono ought to put together a charity gig to raise awareness of it.'

:lol:

Ol Just For Men. haha. i like that.

It's true though. I wish they hadn't done it.

I hate that version.

I also hate that it takes forever for The Word to become available here...I just got the August issue. I probably won't get September's for about 3 more weeks. :mad:

Yesterday I talked to someone who isn't a big fan of U2, but just enjoy their music. Not an interferencer, that is. Everytime she heard the new version of One on the radio, she changes the channel. Several non-U2 fans have said the same things to me.

There could have been at least one other U2 duet in the worse top 20. New Day with wyclrf jean, God that was crap!

An Cat Gav said:
There could have been at least one other U2 duet in the worse top 20. New Day with wyclrf jean, God that was crap!

I have that single...:reject:

I like it...and I especially like it a heck of a lot better than what Mary J Blige did to "One".

Bonochick said:

I have that single...:reject:

I like it...and I especially like it a heck of a lot better than what Mary J Blige did to "One".

Well that's true!
People have gone to prison for a lot less than what she did to that song!

i dont see how people dont like it, i really love it, and you can kill me for saying this if you want but its my opinion, i think its better than the orginal album version

The duet with Andrea Corr was woeful too! I'm surprised by that because WIm Wenders normally brings the best out of the boys!
I dont hate all their duets though, the one with Clannad was great, so was the Frank Sinatra one, probably a few more that i cant think of right now.

Only thing i hate about it is that i saw people being surprised and i mean very surprised when i say that One is 15 years old and that this is just a remake of one of the best songs ever.
:sad: :sad:

Duets or ensemble pieces work only if everyone is on the "same page". Bono was able to work with Sinatra so well, even though Sinatra sang the song very straight-forward, because Bono just slightly enhanced the song. His additions were at perfect places (like the falsetto over the big horns) or the slight changes in lyrics (something Sinantra has even done when he has performed duets). In other words, even if you call Sinantra the "straight man" here, the two were on "the same page".

The same is true with many other duets that U2 or Bono have done. For example, the duets with Robbie Robertson (new perfect), Clannad, BB King, even the Corrs.

But with this remake of "One", we have two big problems. First, it is one of U2's best songs. We've only heard U2 (or Bono) perform it for 16 years. We have that sound in our minds. The second problem is that the song starts out the same U2 way. Then along come Blige and she's on another page completely. She's taking the song to places that does not flow with the U2 version.

There's nothing wrong with that, necessarily. In fact, I often appreciate remakes that aren't exact copies of the originals. Anyone who makes an exact copy is just trying to cash out - they know the song was a hit decades ago, they figure it'll be a hit again. But those who revamp the song and "make it their own" (as so often said on "American Idol"), get more respect for me. So in that sense, I do appreciate what Blige was trying to do.

But combine her "out there" version with U2's and they just don't blend. This isn't like Bono's slightly alternate take on "Under My Skin" with Sinatra - Blige was in another world with this song. And really, it changes the subtleties dramatically. This was a song about pleading, about desperation, about that last bit of hope. Bono's scratchy album version vocals were perfect. But Blige's over-the-top performance made this song into something else - I'm not sure what, but that focus is lost.

And I think for this reason, the duet fails. It might have worked better had Blige been alone on this remake. We could have all hated her version, but at least that's what it is - her take and ONLY her take on the song. But combining the two styles only causes confusion and decreases the focus of the song.

Last edited:
Mary J Blige brought much needed fresh blood to an admittedly classic song that is getting worse live with each tour.

The good about the whole One collaboration is that I managed it to hear it only once. I didn't care for it that much, but didn't hate it. Since then, every time I hear the beginning of the song on the radio or on tv I switch it off. I just don't want this song to be ruined by someone like Mary J. Blige.

I agree. I hate that version.

I made a thread about the downfall of One not to long back. It's one of out time's most classic songs and it's slowly being cheapened year by year. It's played at so many events and has been turned into a charity song instead of a love song. Plus the covers by singers like MJB and that guy on American Idol. It's just becoming so cheap and contrived it's depressing.

I really don't like Mary J and thought One had really been ruined by her at first. But this grown on me over time and really like listening to it now.

:reject:

I really hate this version. When I first heard about it I had an open mind because Mary J. Blige had done an amazing duet with Sting on Sacred Love. This version is disgusting to me. I mean what made the song so good in the first place was how Bono's vocals seem to carry so much pain and sound so alone. Then there was The American Idol performance. :tsk: I feeling sick just talking about this.

What do you get when you combine two terrible things (One and Mary J. Blige)? An even more terrible thing, obviously. It shouldn't be a surprise that this version of One sucks.

Bono's shades said:
I'd listen to the U2/Mary J. version of One over at least half of the songs on HTDAAB any day.

Well, it still has the same lyrics, and that alone is enough to kick pretty much all of the Bomb tracks around the block. However, many of the things I don't like about Mary J's One vs the original pretty much line up with many of the things I don't like about Bomb-era U2. I have no beef with the genre they've taken the song to, or Mary J who has done some really excellent stuff and has a great voice. The concept is fine with me, but the execution is really poor. The life of the song is just sucked out of it. It's a song that is supposed to be sort of pleading and hopeful at the same time, but she makes it sound aggressive. The original U2 version stirs up all sorts of stories and imagery in your mind based around this kinda groundbreaking conversation in a relationship between two people - partners, father/son, many things. But the Mary J one, all I can picture is her banging her fist on the table. I really hate it.

I don't particularly like the MJB version, but I don't feel that strongly about the issue. The only thing I have a problem with is U2 throwing One at every charity they can think of. It feels like they're taking One away from me.

Meghan said:
I don't particularly like the MJB version, but I don't feel that strongly about the issue. The only thing I have a problem with is U2 throwing One at every charity they can think of. It feels like they're taking One away from me.

I agree. It's become a generic song to use at everything, distanced from its original meaning. The Mary J Blige version is, in my opinion, awful, but I posted the Word quote because it's hilarious. Ol' Just For Men - :lol:

Back
Top Bottom