U2 in trendy stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaPhisto

The Fly
During the Christmas season I heard U2 being played constantly in some of the more trendy stores at Carousel Mall, one of the biggest malls in the nation... here are some of the songs I heard at various stores

Abercrombie Kids
- Electrical Storm
Bath and Body Works
-Stuck in a Moment
Hollister (owned by Abercrombie co.)
-In God's Country
-I still Haven't Found what I'm looking for
Gap
-Discotheque (Mike Hedge's New Mix)
Abercrombie
-COVER - Pet shop boys doing U2's Where the Streets have no name mixed with Can't take my eyes off of you

I think its pretty interesting to see all these stores aimed at younger crowds playing U2's music...especially when a few of these stores usually sell their clothes using sex appeal. :p

ALso a smaller mall that I work at constantly plays U2 as their mall music...WHen ATYCLB was released, they played Walk on, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Kite, STuck in a Moment, and In a little while CONSTANTLY...Now they stick to WOWY, SHFWILF, and a few others. I believe they subscribe to MUZAK, which is digital music...I'm assumming its an adult contemporary channel...but its still U2

Last edited:
i work at jc penney and they change the store music every so often. One time they were playing a pretty decent mix of music with lots of u2. I can remember hearing mysterious ways, SIAM, beautiful day, angel of harlem, EBTTRT, and In a Little While, and probably some other ones. Then they swithed to muzak (hits of the 70s-90s done soft rock/smooth jazz style with no vocals) and they would play the worst versions of WOWY and WTSHNN I'v ever heard :barf: Now they are playing x-mas music and they sometimes play baby please come home.

copyright

Ah yes, I knew I left one out...Baby please come home is played with the Christmas musak quite a lot.

Does U2 get money for this? I'm pretty sure they must because I know in most chain stores its illegal to play an artists CD without select permission. As far as my store goes, we arent' allowed to listen to any cd's, only radio because of copyright laws...

So u2 must be giving out permission.

yeah...i work at penney's also....I remember one day at work hearing alot of u2 songs...and I have heard "baby please come home" and "do they know its christmas" alot lately as well

i guess its a symbol as to how corporate theyve become.

*audience "oooohs" and says "burnt!"

na, i think the main question is why are you shopping in such wannabe loser shops? youll find the best shit in the places that arent a part of a super big chain.

at least in my experiences anyway.

spanisheyes said:
I always swear I hear the song 'ISHFWILF' everytime I'm in Walmart...I think it is a subliminal message. No, but really, I have heard that song there, and it is quite funny when you shopping and looking for a particular item.

Chris

:lol: That IS funny!

I always thought it would be weird if I was feeling a certain way and then all of a sudden the appropriate U2 song would start to play.

spanisheyes said:
I always swear I hear the song 'ISHFWILF' everytime I'm in Walmart...I think it is a subliminal message. No, but really, I have heard that song there, and it is quite funny when you shopping and looking for a particular item.

Chris

:lmao:

lol...Walmart...I don't think they are too trendy...but I hear U2 being played their all the time...along with Phil Collins. I guess I shop too much

I heard Walk On and With Or Without You the other day when I was at our local mall braving the after x-mas sale day. I didn't know it was illegal for malls to play artists music without their permission. I was under the impression that someone just plays random cds in the mall sound system. If I had that job I'd play a lot of cool music forcing people in the mall to listen to it.

Well, from what I understand, Malls and most restaurants use Muzak, who gets permission from the record label to use various songs. Or for stores like Bath and Body works, they get their "mix cd's" directly from corporate who gets permission from the artists. Its not random cd's or the managers tapes or anything, its all designed.

:no: :confused: why were you in those stores! :confused: i wouldn't be caught dead in those stores..except maybe bath and body works. it smells good. all those other stores make me :yuck: :help: :censored: :barf: cant believe they were playing that music. I walked by abercrombie and they were playing the beatles before..EW they should play LFO or backstreet boys.. i can't even stand walking by that store..all the conformists covered in they crappy purfume and glitter..:barf:

I work at Old Navy and we have tons of U2.
Let's see, today alone was ISHFWILF, Pride, a BD remix and Streets.
We also have the Sinatra/Bono Under My Skin:yes:

MaPhisto said:
Well, from what I understand, Malls and most restaurants use Muzak, who gets permission from the record label to use various songs. Or for stores like Bath and Body works, they get their "mix cd's" directly from corporate who gets permission from the artists. Its not random cd's or the managers tapes or anything, its all designed.

Amen! Muzac determines what song you hear while your shopping in lots of stores...Gap, Inc stores for certain. Since I started working for Gap a year and a half ago, we've had Summer Rain, Walk On, Baby Please Come Home, Pride, I Will Follow (totally random but fun), Even Better Than the Real Thing, Electrical Storm, Stuck in a Moment, When the Stars Go Blue, and In a Little While. I once heard Stay in Banana Republic. We had Beautiful Day for the Holiday music, which totally figures because I'm at GapKids until at least February which gets HORRIBLE Muzac...right now it's a whole bunch of redone Disney songs...grr...The worst part of the whole Muzac thing is that the CD's are only about 3 hours long so during the course of a 9 hour day you get to hear the same song three times. :mad:

Schmeg said:

Amen! Muzac determines what song you hear while your shopping in lots of stores...Gap, Inc stores for certain. Since I started working for Gap a year and a half ago, we've had Summer Rain, Walk On, Baby Please Come Home, Pride, I Will Follow (totally random but fun), Even Better Than the Real Thing, Electrical Storm, Stuck in a Moment, When the Stars Go Blue, and In a Little While. I once heard Stay in Banana Republic. We had Beautiful Day for the Holiday music, which totally figures because I'm at GapKids until at least February which gets HORRIBLE Muzac...right now it's a whole bunch of redone Disney songs...grr...The worst part of the whole Muzac thing is that the CD's are only about 3 hours long so during the course of a 9 hour day you get to hear the same song three times. :mad:

I didn't know you were a member of the Gap, Inc. family.

BOOMCHA! and Schmeg-
I too am a member of the Gap, Inc. family although I don't work in the stores! I was in one of the store picking up a couple of things and heard Discoteque. I've also heard U2 play for our hold music. Of course the other department always picks up before the song is over!

A couple weeks ago I went to a skating competition with my Mom and they played ATYCLB during intermission. That brought back some great memories since it was the arena where I saw them on the Elevation tour.

I never hear U2 when I'm shopping, but I hear their songs quite a bit when I'm eating out. I've heard U2 songs at Applebees and Fazoli's and a couple other places.

today in the restaurant my family were eating in 3 of my favourite bands/songs came on ..

U2 - sweetest thing

corrs - what can i do

kirsty maccoll / pougues - fairytale of new york

i was all :D and was like :tongue: to my brother haha :eeklaugh:

Go Gap! Go Holiday!! Go Newport Kids and Baby!!! Go markdowns causing cranky customers asking to speak to the manager! Dammit, that's me! I have been awake since Thanksgiving and I'll be awake until New Year's Day (and trust me, all is NOT quiet on New Year's Day...) and I'm not in the mood!

BOOMCHA- What store are you at?

kariann- Where do you work if not in the stores? Are you one of those poor customer relations people? If so, I'm sorry about the lady who got mad when I didn't take back the dirty jacket her child was wearing because a few stitches were coming out of the seem.

does child labour bother you at all?

i wouldnt be caught dead in those stores, but if you like your job, good for you.

Cow of the Seas said:
but if you like your job, good for you.

I wouldn't say I "like" it.
But I can't be very picky considering jobs aren't easy to find these days. (that made me sound really selfish, didn't it?)

edited to add: What makes you say they use child labor? How do you know?

Last edited:
*BOOMCHAA!* said:

edited to add: What makes you say they use child labor? How do you know?

its common knowledge. if you want me to look up sources i will.

i thought everyone knew this? gap along with nike are two of the worst exploiters of third world citizens.

besides the companies are massive. its so stale, they have no idea whats going on, rather they convince people whats in fashion through neverending advertising that really sucks.

ok, so that last part was based on perspective.

surely you know that you can find better clothes (and ten times cheaper without the big label!) almost anywhere else.

gap is the mcdonalds of the fashion world.

except you pay far too much for the product that was built by little hands.

at least their clothes taste as good as a mcdonalds "happy meal."

Schmeg-

I work for the Direct division in the call center. Thank god not customer relations! I get to transfer those calls unless they deal with online. I am just happy that I have survived yet another holiday season. The week before Christmas was sheer hell...if I had one more person demanding the mini striped scarf I may have run screaming mad for the door at one point!

Back
Top Bottom