U2 in Toronto July 30 2003????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW!!! You are one of my favourite new people on here with that post alone!!! :love:

This is yet another reason why I LOATHE George Bush. :angry: :madspit: I too am on a huge soapbox about Arts Funding. I work for the National Ballet School, and I also used to work for the National Ballet of Canada, and I was Director of Development at a Baroque Opera Co. called Opera Atelier.

Arts funding is SO important, I agree with you 100%. Good for Gore! :up:

Don't get me wrong, as an American I stand behind whoever is the president 100 percent, but that stupid idiot cut back something that is important to me and millions of other Americans. Granted he can't make everyone happy, but why raise the funding in "Automobile Marketing" and cut back the funding on Arts and Health? What a moron.

*steps down from the soapbox before he makes a scene*

Don't get me started, I can go all day on this subject. LOL

Well, all I can say is if our PM didn't support the arts, I wouldn't stand behind him at all, as I would consider that to be a form of approval. Then again, I know that Americans are very into this supporting the Prez no matter what thing, so I do understand what you are saying.

The main thing is, I think it's great that you are a giant arts supporter. :) Not only are arts important to our very quality of life, but there is no denying their important economic impact, something that all Govt's seem to turn a blind eye to.

(hehe, we have hijacked this thread! :eek: )

Yea...I'm pretty sure MunkyMan and AliEnvy are miffed I changed the subject of the post. HAHAHA. So I'll stop this discussion so the theme of the post can resume. :):wave: :wink:

AliEnvy said:
No worries....U2 in Toronto is a dead issue :sad: :scream: :angry:

You mean the media actually lied about it!?

I was making a semi-joke earlier referring to the media. I mean I know they overdue things...but...

:ohmy:

They actually lied about it blatantly???

Geez..I'm honestly sorry about that. Wow. Media=Bastards. :mad:

I got a text alert on my phone stating that the Rolling Stones would be playing Toronto,alone, for free. Perhaps it was them all along and not U2?

Forgive me if this was covered., I haven't read the entire thread. :reject:

:wave:

~J

Last edited:
KIM!?!?!? Why are you leaving us dangling like that??? What have you heard? Q107 hasn't mentioned U2 for awhile...so maybe they got in trouble for it?

Here's what the CBC is saying:

TORONTO - The Rolling Stones will headline a nine-hour music event to boost the SARS-tainted image of Toronto, in what organizers are billing as the greatest concert of the century.

"People are going to gasp when they see the lineup," Toronto Liberal MP Dennis Mills told ArtsCanada, adding that an official announcement will be made Tuesday morning.

Mills hopes to attract 350,000 people to the event, with half of the tickets sold to the U.S. Tickets will be priced at $19.95.

Mills refused to comment on who will join the Stones for the July 30 concert, only saying that talent will come from across Canada, Europe and the United States.

"This is the concert of the century. I can tell you right now you will not challenge that once there's the formal announcement."

The event, which will run from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m., will be staged at the Downsview Centre in Toronto - the same venue where the Pope held World Youth Day celebrations last summer.

"This is to antidote the international image out there that we are a leper colony," Mills said.

Proceeds, after expenses, and one dollar from every ticket sold will go to health care and hospitality workers.

The government will chip in $3.5 million to cover infrastructure expenses, with the private sector covering the rest of the $11 million price tag.

Mills said one goal is to fill the 95,000 hotel and motel spaces from Niagara to Oshawa during the event.

Mills said the event will also feature a huge barbecue to help promote Canadian beef in the wake of the discovery of mad cow disease in an Alberta cow.

Like I said, it is just a rumour. We will All find out tommorow morning. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
Q107 and Molson's are part of the sponsers. I am Pretty Confident that it will happen!!!

Besides, didn't bono and Paul Martin ( another liberal ) get along great in the past???

CAN"T WAIT!!!!

mike in toronto

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:
Mills said the event will also feature a huge barbecue to help promote Canadian beef in the wake of the discovery of mad cow disease in an Alberta cow.

:sad: Finally, recognition.

Why not start BBQing those damn West Nile mosquitos eh?

or those monkey pox loving prarie dogs

i hear hot prarie dogs are a delicacy at Canadian baseball games

wouldnt it be sad if U2 got SARS? I hope they wear masks

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:
"This is the concert of the century. I can tell you right now you will not challenge that once there's the formal announcement."

Hmm...

So 10:30 am Tuesday (tomorrow) - I'll be checking! (still can't believe it fits into vacation plans if it's true!)

The media keeps teasing us :mad:

As much as I'd like to believe it, I mean really, think about it...why would U2 participate in a show like this??? They get asked (begged) to do every benefit show on the planet.

The Stones aren't doing this show for altruistic reasons....they're doing it for a cool 10M.

U2 is busy making a new record and Bono is hiding under security from a madman. Besides if it were true there would have been a leak from the U2 camp and this rumour would not be contained to the Toronto area.

That said, I really hope to be wearing egg on my face tomorrow...

Last edited:
I thought this concert was a benefit gig? And the Stone are getting paid? Maybe I didn't read the previous posts correctly. Hrmmm.

I wouldn't worry about it, AliEnvy. The media does this ALLL the time. Definitely not the first, and definitely not the last. Heck, a few months ago, my local radio station was saying U2 would tour the US in the fall. I bought into it. LOL. Media is EVIL!:) :sad: :mac: :rant: :grumpy: :evil: :censored:

We still like ya Ali!:p :lol:

:wave:

AliEnvy said:
ok this is the BEST smiley EVER!!!!

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Yes. I think these smileys are very cute and funny. I like the one in the box too, that's cute. The rant one is funny. When I saw that and posted it I was laughing. It's funnyt to watch the emotions of these smileys. They are pretty darn funny:)

^ this reminds me of a quote from the simpsons...... you know, where the comic bookstore guy says "there's no emoticon for what I'm feeling"..... that always cracks me up!!!

The show IS a benefit gig, in the sense that proceeds after expenses +$1/ticket will go to SARS relief for the health sector. It is also supposed to boost tourism and yes, the Stones are getting paid for their participation.

So you've got a mishmash of everything, it seems.

"People are going to gasp when they see the lineup," Toronto Liberal MP Dennis Mills told ArtsCanada, adding that an official announcement will be made Tuesday morning.

Mills hopes to attract 350,000 people to the event, with half of the tickets sold to the U.S. Tickets will be priced at $19.95. )

That's a pretty bold statement... expecting 350,000 and calling it the concert of the century if the Rolling Stones were the only big band... I would expect at least someone of U2, REM, or Aerosmith's populariarity as a live act to make those comments.

We should all know by 9am EST. the press conference has been called for 9 now. I am right beside Dundas square tommorow, so I will let you all know when the press release gets let out.

mike

LIstening to Q107(sponsor for the show) this morning (at 7:45 am)... the announcer said that we could pretty much forget about U2 as being on the July 30th bill. Possible artists rumoured to be performing are Rush and the Guess Who. I am going to the conference at Dundas Square so I'll post the result if no one else does.

sarcasmo

the guess who, rush and the rolling stones?
for my money, that is the best ever concert on a wednesday nite.
:slant:

Last edited:
So here are the results......

Tickets on sale friday from A&P and dominion for $21.50CDN .

It's at Downsview on Wed. July 30, and molsons is giving its employees half day off for the show. Other bands include.....

AC/DC
The Guess Who
Justin Timberlake
Sam Roberts
The Flamming lips
Isley Brothers
Sass Jordan

plus 2 or 3 other international acts.

So far no U2. Oh well, it was a good ruomour. Maybe they announce them later on. Who knows.

mike

Oh BROTHER. They have now downgraded it to the "concert of the decade" :rolleyes:

They've got in addition to the Stones: AC/DC, The Guess Who, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE (???!!!), The Flaming Lips, a few other Canadian bands and they have more acts "to be added".

The tix are $21.50 Cdn and $16 US. Proceeds to go to SARS healthcare workers.

:sigh:

Well, at least I don't have to book off any extra vacation time! I'm still going to go I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom