U2 in the past tense?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl33

The Fly
Why does Bono keep referring to U2 in the past tense? Its making me nervous...a best of coming out...talk of the band in the past tense...Bono on Larry King.Hope I'm just paranoid...

Every time he's doing his campaigning, he talks about "wanting to be with the band" and "he doesn't want to be here" and all of that stuff.

I don't think the U2-pocalypse is coming.

guy's, the U2 we knew is gone. they are successfull, have families and "the band" isn't the center of their lives anymore.
they are still great, kind, caring people, but they have the chance to live a life that doesn't invovle constant touring and livin' in the studio,trying to make it. they've made it. and naturally they want to reap the benefits off their hard work.

Bono just made a speech on Larry King tonight about how he's sick about not being with U2 right now and can't wait to get back to where he really wants to be: with his band.

He said he wished someone else was doing all of his campaigning instead, so he could be off writing songs nobody's ever heard before and performing.

U2 is definitely in the present tense.

from larry king live transcript from tonite:

KING: Bono, how long is U2 going to be around? How long are you going to keep on, keeping on?

BONO: You know, that's where I want to be. I don't want to be here on Larry King talking about these issues. I want to be at home in a rehearsal room playing with this band that I've grown up with and writing songs no one's ever heard before, but are going to get out on the radio.

This is the biggest thrill in my life, and you know, I don't come on your shows talking about myself or promoting U2 or anyone's shows. I'm here because these issues are important. But they -- I wish somebody else was doing this stuff, and I want to be with my band. I'm actually sick of not being in U2. You know, it's a thrill to serve the world's poor, and an honor. But my actual gift is I wake up in the morning with melodies in my head and then I sing them. That's what I want to be doing and so I'm going to be with U2 as long as they'll have me in the band.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0610/13/lkl.01.html

Bono: "You know"

Hallucination: Yeah Bono I know.:laugh:

Somebody go through that transcript and count how many times Bono says "You know" I'd do it but I don't think I can count that high.:laugh:

Last edited:
Hallucination said:
Somebody go through that transcript and count how many times Bono says "You know" I'd do it but I don't think I can count that high.:laugh:
Sixty-four. Bobby Shriver said it a bunch too (but nowhere near as much as Bono). Larry King didn't say it once :tongue:

This is the best bit:

Bono: And, I started, you know, any Irish person has this folk memory of famine and, you know, as a result of that famine, you know, you have, you know, you have all the policemen in New York now.

Bless :cute:

Back
Top Bottom