U2 in Q's Top 100 Albums... EVER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmerch1984

The Fly
Hey,

Some of you may have heard that U2 has three albums in a top 100 album list. The list was compiled by Q magazine readers (a popular, probably most popular, music magazine in Britain).

Achtung Baby - no 9

Joshua Tree - no 11

ATYCLB - no 53

Wot do u reckon?

Personaly, I think Joshua should be above Achtung, but the gap of one album is just right for me.

Was surprised ATYCLB is in there, but then again it is a very good album, especially a good comeback following poor reception from pop and zooropa.

Any comments would be welcome.....

Yes Joshua Tree should be higher!!!!

They left out Unforgetable Fire, Boy (one of the best debut albums ever), HTDAAB, and also the underrated Pop.

;)

crystal4470 said:
Yes Joshua Tree should be higher!!!!

HTDAAB, and also the underrated Pop.

;)

Yeah, come to think of it, HTDAAB should be in there. Pop is underated, I don't know why it's labelled as a "bad" album. I don't think it should be in the top 100 but it is a GOOD album. It is so honest, deepand personal, and at the same time comforting. Ironic that "pop" music is commercial nowadays and doesn't necessarily show bands' true feelings...

It was actually mentionned as an album that "could of been" in the list if it weren't for some factors (sorry, forgot what they were!)

Why should Joshua Tree be higher? Achtung Baby is the finest achievment of this band and any other band for that matter. Also in flawed classic albums was a listing for Pop.

POP-ROMANCER said:
I expected WAR in the list, but I don't get that list: radiohead #1 and #2. :eyebrow:

The Bends and OK Computer deserve to be in any top 10. Maybe not my one and two but two great albums.

POP-ROMANCER said:
but I don't get that list: radiohead #1 and #2. :eyebrow:

Yeah I know, how did that happen???

Radiohead were also in at no 10 and 60. FOUR albums, they're not that great, infact, I think only a handful of tracks they've done are actually worth listening to.

Oh by the way, find the list by googling Q top 100 albums 2006. It'll be there.

rjhbonovox said:
Why should Joshua Tree be higher? Achtung Baby is the finest achievment of this band

Really???

Achtung better than Joshua?

I think we need a new thread for this argument! It will take a long time to settle it...

Q and Spin are very pro-Radiohead. They have called them several times 'The Greatest band in the universe' ...
They made the fuking list to specially put them in # 1 and # 2 positions; its a clear joke, who do they think we are? Do they really think wer'e gonna buy there bullshit?

Radiohead's records are great ones yes, but no way better than AB or Joshua Tree:shame:

Nube Gris said:
Q and Spin are very pro-Radiohead. They have called them several times 'The Greatest band in the universe' ...
They made the fuking list to specially put them in # 1 and # 2 positions; its a clear joke, who do they think we are? Do they really think wer'e gonna buy there bullshit?

Never thought of that, and it was staring me in the face....:der:

I don't give a damn for such statistics and lists made by who knows who...................
Every record has a beauty of its own, and it's up to our feelings and emotions to capture it..............................
Shit lists, bah!:tsk:

:yes: to exalt the Beatles very true...
but this is more annoying i think...we are anyway used to read this magazines kissing the beatles asses
More recently they made a list with the greatest rock artists ever
# 1? The Beatles, again
U2? # 22:|

The reason the list is so screwed up is because the readers made it. the only people that read Q are Radiohead and U2 obsessed. :wink:

AMNESIAC #60? Most people don't even consider that to be one of their better albums...let alone better than Beck's Odelay! :mad:

EDIT: After reading the list, I think it's easily one of the worst I've ever read. Coldplay at #25 and #40....The Strokes at #26??????? The White Album at #17 while Pepper's only reached #19....I could go on. This list gives you brain damamge.

Last edited:
Give me a break....Radiohead is a great band (although Amnesiac and HTTT were nothing spectacular) but there is no way they deserve #1 and #2.

Both in the top 20? Probably, but that's it. Not like that's an insult, having two albums in the top 20 of all time is great achievement.

In my opinion, Ahctung Baby is the best album ever.. period. Joshua Tree is great and definately top 10 ever, but it's not as great as Achtung Baby. I'm still finding things in AB today that I never realized were there over 10 years ago. It's a unique, amazing array of awesome music. The name hurt it a bit here in the U.S.

Why this list is a joke:

1. No Unforgettable Fire
2. ATYCLB was somehow included
3. JT is not in the top three
4. Achtung is in the top ten even though it doesn't deserve to be in the top fifty

The only thing that anyone needs to care about is that TJT is tragically below AB where it doesn't belong. :tsk:

Not only is it their best album ever made. It's a bigger hit with the general public, fans, and critics as well as selling more copies.

And to prove the point...
TJT=Album of the Year against Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Prince
AB=Loser of the Year against Eric Clapton(winner), K.D.Lang, and the soundtrack to a Disney movie.

I think we have our winner folks.

Axver said:
Why this list is a joke:

1. No Unforgettable Fire
4. Achtung is in the top ten even though it doesn't deserve to be in the top fifty

Perhaps you would prefer the Rolling Stone top 500 which had Joshua Tree at #21, Achtung at #62 and ATYCLB at #139?

Axver said:
Why this list is a joke:

1. No Unforgettable Fire

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Well, it's got to be in the top 10 for sure.
4. Fucking bullshit

Hence:
More Axver inconsistency
brilliance and ignorance.
You gotta love stat boy.
He is ace when he has a databse.....

:wink:

I gotta give you some shit, nobody else does...

I think we share a birthday mate 1-17?
or as you would say 17-1?

catlhere said:
The only thing that anyone needs to care about is that TJT is tragically below AB where it doesn't belong. :tsk:

Not only is it their best album ever made. It's a bigger hit with the general public, fans, and critics as well as selling more copies.

TJT=Album of the Year against Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Prince
AB=Loser of the Year against Eric Clapton(winner), K.D.Lang, and the soundtrack to a Disney movie.

Album of the year "DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Not only do the mass hardcore fans on Interference think Acthung is U2's best album, U2 itself thinks so, as well as many critics.

U2DMfan said:

Not only do the mass hardcore fans on Interference think Acthung is U2's best album, U2 itself thinks so, as well as many critics.

I know Bono (and I think Edge too) said they think AB is their best, did Larry and Adam do that too?
I can't remember if all 4 of them were ever asked what their best album is...

U2girl said:

I know Bono (and I think Edge too) said they think AB is their best, did Larry and Adam do that too?
I can't remember if all 4 of them were ever asked what their best album is...

Adam said it as well.

I'll try and find that documented somewhere.

It's pretty universal. At the least, you've got 50% (Bono and Edge) already in camp. Not to mention the fan vote.

Actually Paul McGuniess said the same thing, the only one I have no recollection of is Larry. My guess is he prefers the JT.

I'll try and find some quotes/articles, but don't know if I can, but I'll try.

If Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby were both at #1 and #2, I don't think everyone would be complaining as much, except for a handful of elitists who insist on seeing The Unforgettable Fire and....*shudder* Pop or some other album at the top spot, just for the sake of being perverse...

Like I said in the last thread about this list, Radiohead at 1+2 is exactly the kind of thing people here strive to achieve for U2 when it comes to public polls by voting fifty times each but can't stand other fans doing it for their preferred bands!

Well to be fair an english tv station did a massive poll last year for the greatest album of all time and Ok Computer won it as well and that was the public's opinion. I've definately never heard another album which even comes close to it, absolutely magnificent. I think Joshua Tree was in 3rd or 4th.

"Ok Computer" is a great album, definetly in the top part of my list. It doesn't compare to an album like "Dark Side of the Moon." all opinion though.

This list is a travesty. Not to say that the albums on it are BAD, just misplaced. I mean, THREE Radiohead albums on it (two of them at #1 and 2 no less)? All That You Can't Leave Behind is ON the list? THE JOSHUA TREE IS LOWER ON THE LIST THAN ACHTUNG?!?!?!??! :mad:

Those reasons, along with the general wackiness of the rankings (Beatles at number 17 at the highest? And the WHITE ALBUM was their highest ranked one?!) makes this list the craziest Top 100 lists I have ever laid eyes on. I mean, I at least could see where Rolling Stone was coming from on most of their choices, even if I didn't agree with them completely.

Yeesh.

Two things:

1. Why bother about a stupid list? There are millions of such lists on the Internet.

2. It's all subjective. It's all opinion. Your personal Top 100 is what matters.

PS: Achtung Baby is the greatest album ever. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom