U2 In March 2005 Blender: Every CD reviewed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
Unfortunately, I can't scan this right now (hopefully someone will!), but in Blender's "Back Catalogue" Feature, every U2 Cd is rated. I'll give you a summary...(this should be on www.Blender.com sometime in the next few days, I assume)

Essential:
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind

Great:
War
Best Of 1980-1990
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Good:
Boy
The Unforgettable Fire
Rattle And Hum
Best Of 1990-2000

Be Careful:
October
Under A Blood Red Sky
Zooropa
Pop

For Fans Only:
Wide Awake In America
Melon:Remixes For Propaganda
Passengers:Original Soundtracks I
Hasta La Vista:Live From Mexico City

I can't believe they rank ATYCLB over HTDAAB. And no love for UABRS? Blasphemy! But I agree with the rest of it.

That is the way a typical US magazine would rank them. No surprises really at all there.

I would change a lot of things myself and they put things on there that arent even albums but I guess they consider hasta la vista an album.

Yahweh said:
That is the way a typical US magazine would rank them. No surprises really at all there.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the order. I would put ATCYLB a lot lower and Zooropa and UF higher. Aside from that the rankings are not unreasonable.

In what bizarro world are Boy AND Rattle & Hum better than Pop AND Zooropa?

And yeah, the idea that ATYCLB is essential over The Bomb is fucking laughable.

Someone should switch the "blender" to puree and get rid of their editorial board.

laz

The second I saw this list, I knew it would get a rise out of posters here.

Blender and Rolling Stone are filled with professional critics who have been listening to all sorts of music since time immemorial.

U2 fans are a biased bunch with limited musical exposure unlike professional music magazines.

So Blender thinks ATYCLB is great, right up there with Achtung and Joshua Tree. This view is supported by Rolling Stone magazine that ATYCLB is U2's third masterpiece. So I think these guys know what they are talking about.

One of the reasons why I love HTDAAB so much is its core sound which makes it much like a supplement or annex to ATYCLB. They tackle the same musical soundscapes (anthemic Walk On, epic City Of Blinding Lights), the same quintessential Edge guitar sounds (Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug), the same raw Bono screams that was absent in POP ("walk on" "touch me" "I can feel"), the gospel falsettos ("and if the night runs over...", "and it's you when I look in the mirror").

So while HTDAAB may seem like an improvement over its father, ATYCLB, it wasn't the original. ATYCLB is the original dog and is the one that made U2 return to their roots. Hence, it's preferred position in U2's music history.

I actually prefer the melodies and lyrics of HTDAAB over ATYCLB and I think it is a better album. But ATYCLB was just special, considering the circumstances under which they were released -- coming off experimental commercial failure and self-doubt.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Blender and Rolling Stone are filled with professional critics who have been listening to all sorts of music since time immemorial.

U2 fans are a biased bunch with limited musical exposure unlike professional music magazines.

So Blender thinks ATYCLB is great, right up there with Achtung and Joshua Tree. This view is supported by Rolling Stone magazine that ATYCLB is U2's third masterpiece. So I think these guys know what they are talking about.

One of the reasons why I love HTDAAB so much is its core sound which makes it much like a supplement or annex to ATYCLB. They tackle the same musical soundscapes (anthemic Walk On, epic City Of Blinding Lights), the same quintessential Edge guitar sounds (Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug), the same raw Bono screams that was absent in POP ("walk on" "touch me" "I can feel"), the gospel falsettos ("and if the night runs over...", "and it's you when I look in the mirror").

So while HTDAAB may seem like an improvement over its father, ATYCLB, it wasn't the original. ATYCLB is the original dog and is the one that made U2 return to their roots. Hence, it's preferred position in U2's music history.

I actually prefer the melodies and lyrics of HTDAAB over ATYCLB and I think it is a better album. But ATYCLB was just special, considering the circumstances under which they were released -- coming off experimental commercial failure and self-doubt.

Cheers,

J

I actually agree with pretty much your whole post minus your last paragraph. HTDAAB is a better collection of songs, ATYCLB is the better album.

Aardvark747 said:

:wink:
It's always easy to get a rise out of this little Aardvark - especially this early in the day!

BE CAREFUL OF ZOOROPA! What do you have to say to that now, huh, huh?

:wink:

I figured this was just another piece of mindless critical journalism thatt's not worth my time. I don't need some guy at a magazine to tell me what is and isn't good music.

Well, for whatever it's worth, I'd put it (given that "Be Careful" means "inconsistent or just weird" and not necessarily "bad"):

Essential:
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire

Great:
Zooropa
Pop

Good:
October

Be Careful:
War
Rattle And Hum
Boy

For Fans Only:
Under A Blood Red Sky
Wide Awake In America

Who Gives A Fuck About Compilations:
Best Of 1980-1990
Best Of 1990-2000

I Hate Remixes:

Just Get the Damn Bootleg Instead:

ATYCLB really is the band's third masterpiece..........HTDAAB is seventh on my list of favorites.........I know some of you were disappointed with ATYCLB, but it has some of the best pop songwriting I've ever heard and everything has a bigger effect on me than HTDAAB, which is a really good album, but a lot of the songs are either more about rocking (Vertigo, All Because Of You) or whatever.....I don't know, I think the themes on ATYCLB are more universal, and most of the general public seems to prefer that album according to reviews I've read on Amazon and nonfans that I know...

typhoon said:
Well, for whatever it's worth, I'd put it (given that "Be Careful" means "inconsistent or just weird" and not necessarily "bad"):

Essential:
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire

Great:
Zooropa
Pop

Good:
October

Be Careful:
War
Rattle And Hum
Boy

For Fans Only:
Under A Blood Red Sky
Wide Awake In America

Who Gives A Fuck About Compilations:
Best Of 1980-1990
Best Of 1990-2000

I Hate Remixes:

Just Get the Damn Bootleg Instead:

I might have 'Boy' in the good category, but other than that, FUCKING SPOT ON.

ImOuttaControl said:

I actually agree with pretty much your whole post minus your last paragraph. HTDAAB is a better collection of songs, ATYCLB is the better album.

I am the exact opposite. I feel ATYCLB is the better collection of songs and HTDAAB is the better album.

Still, at least this list rated both albums very highly. And while I agree with their "For Fans Only" selection, I disagree a lot with their "Good" and "Be Careful" lists.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Blender has only rated ATYCLB highly because of it's musical ability not because of the time it was released and what it was trying to achieve, but we appreciate the manipulation their Jick. What was missing in ATYCLB was Edge's typical soaring guitars and traditional U2 sound, that's why HTDAAB is better than ATYCLB. Songs like Yahweh, Sometimes, Crumbs and COBL just ooze U2.
ATYCLB served it's purpose very well I agree but over time people will see HTDAAB as the superior, and I disagree strongly with Blender on ATYCLB being left out of the top and Pop being in the bottom. HTDAAB will rise in status over time especially because A)we haven't even seen any of the songs live yet and B) not all of the singles have been released yet.

Cheers
Ryan

LuvandPeace1980 said:

ATYCLB served it's purpose very well I agree but over time people will see HTDAAB as the superior, and I disagree strongly with Blender on ATYCLB being left out of the top and Pop being in the bottom.

sorry... meant to type this
and I disagree strongly with Blender on ATYCLB being left out of the top and Pop being in the bottom

These people maybe professional critics but they are by no means owners of the truth
HTDAAB is an essential album, and ATYCLB its a Pop masterpiece

Your "comercial failure" of Pop is just what?
That sold 7 million instead of 10 or 12?
No screams from Bono?

Wow! you are way off from being objective
You must learn someting here: That isn't a real indicator of an albums quality, and Pop is brilliant piece of work

Pop is an essential also

Is Blender an American magazine cos they talk completely out of their arse thats for sure. Zooropa and Pop down near the bottom. Complete assholes with absolute shit taste in music!:wink:

Also while I am ranting, how the fuck can anyone say an album is near the bottom when it has songs of the quality "Gone", "Discotheque", "Mofo", "DO you feel loved", "Please" and on and on and on............what an asswipe of a review!

jick said:

According to Rolling Stone's new album guide, which was released a few months back, a 5 star album is considered a masterpiece. They give U2 two:

The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

Then, they consider others near masterpieces - those with four and a half and/or four stars:

Four and a half:

War
The Unforgettable Fire

Four:

Boy
Rattle And Hum
both Best Ofs

And then the rest:

October (three stars)
Under A Blood Red Sky (three stars)
Wide Awake In America (three stars)
Zooropa (three stars)
Pop (three stars)

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is not included - this updated version must have been completed beforehand.

I agree about the masterpieces, obviously, and think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are near masterpieces. The rest of their reviews, to me, are questionable.

But then again, I really dislike a lot of their thinking in this review book. Rolling Stone, to me, has always had this aura of superiority when it comes to knowing music, like they are the ones who know it the best. I mean, they rate two different Britney Spears' discs three stars. You're telling me they rate as well as some of U2's work? Pretty humorous indeed.

But I'll save my bashing of this book for another thread...

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:
Also while I am ranting, how the fuck can anyone say an album is near the bottom when it has songs of the quality "Gone", "Discotheque", "Mofo", "DO you feel loved", "Please" and on and on and on............what an asswipe of a review!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I strongly agree with your two posts.. Mainstream United States has distanced itself so far from progressive rock it's not funny.. Pop is a great album, it got very good reviews, the band liked it when it was realeased, some of the production could have been better but overall it's an original concept pulled off well.

bring on the Vertigo Tour Cardiff an Amsterdam, GA!!! Woo Hoo.

Essential:
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
War
Pop
Under A Blood Red Sky VHS
Zoo TV Sidney VHS

Great:
Zooropa
Unforgettable Fire
Boy
Best of 1980-1990 CD
Under A Blood Red Sky CD

Good:
Rattle & Hum
October
U2 Live From Slane Castle DVD
U2 Best of 1990-2000 DVD
U2 Best of 1980-1990 VHS

Be Careful:
All That You Can´t Leave Behind
Best of 1990-2000 CD
U2 Pop Mart Mexico City VHS
U2 Live From Boston DVD

Peace :wave:

Nate Dogg said:
Unfortunately, I can't scan this right now (hopefully someone will!), but in Blender's "Back Catalogue" Feature, every U2 Cd is rated. I'll give you a summary...(this should be on www.Blender.com sometime in the next few days, I assume)

Essential:
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

Great:
War
Best Of 1980-1990

Good:
Boy
The Unforgettable Fire
Rattle And Hum
Best Of 1990-2000

Be Careful:
October
Under A Blood Red Sky
Zooropa
Pop

For Fans Only:
Wide Awake In America

Let me see if i agree with what Blender says (only studio albums and RAH)

BOY : Good.... yeah i agree
OCTOBER: Be careful...... nope, disagree, id say Good
WAR: Great....... well, more good that great IMO
TUF:Good......more great than good
JT: Essential...... of course
RAH: Good...... yes, spot on
AB: Essential...... most definetely
ZOOROPA: Be careful.......HARK! IMO this one is great
POP: Be careful....... agreed
ATYCLB: Essential...... without a doubt!
HTDAAB: Great..... fair enough

Back
Top Bottom