U2 in Athens for the Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimonSays

Babyface
Hi All,

I live in Athens, Greece and will be here for the Olympics...anyone heard any gossip about whether or not any members of the band will come for the Olympics? I know they're on vacation so it could happen right?

Thanks!

-Simon

There were rumors they'd be at the last Olympics too. They probably won't, at least not performing. All countries use their own artists and culture for opening and closing ceremonies, not acts from other countries. If Dublin is ever awarded an Olympics I am sure they will perform!

Leeloo said:
All countries use their own artists and culture for opening and closing ceremonies, not acts from other countries. If Dublin is ever awarded an Olympics I am sure they will perform!

That's not totally true this time. Bjork from Iceland and the biggest DJ in the world (from the Netherlands) DJ Ti?sti will perform at the opening ceremonies....

phommel said:

That's not totally true this time. Bjork from Iceland and the biggest DJ in the world (from the Netherlands) DJ Ti?sti will perform at the opening ceremonies....

It's always been true in the past. There must be a shortage of Greek popular music stars familiar to the world, or perhaps some of them have Greek heritage.

There is a difference between playing to opening ceremonies and being entertainment in the Olympic villages. I'm sure there are a lot of non Greeks lined up to do that. But looks like U2 is not one of them (and much too big an act IMO)

But we can still hope for the new single to break now! Remember how BD was first used during the 2000 Olympics when they showed the previous day's winners in highlights on a commercial? ;)

Last edited:
Leeloo said:
Remember how BD was first used during the 2000 Olympics when they showed the previous day's winners in highlights on a commercial? ;)

Was it? I don't remember that. Or maybe I do ... *ahh* I can't believe it was 4 years ago already!

Olympics :love:
U2 :love:

~*Buffalo*~ said:

Was it? I don't remember that. Or maybe I do ... *ahh* I can't believe it was 4 years ago already!

Olympics :love:
U2 :love:

Yes, I heard about it on the radio before I saw it! The DJs were like, what's up with U2 and that new "Beautiful Day" song and the Olympics? I was like, huh? I didn't know U2 had a new song and I hadn't heard it on the Olympics! So I started watching the commercials (which I usually don't!), and saw every night they did a compilation of highlights of medalists from the previous day using BD as background music! It was great! It also got me excited about the new ablum coming out (ATYCLB)

Leeloo said:

Yes, I heard about it on the radio before I saw it! The DJs were like, what's up with U2 and that new "Beautiful Day" song and the Olympics? I was like, huh? I didn't know U2 had a new song and I hadn't heard it on the Olympics! So I started watching the commercials (which I usually don't!), and saw every night they did a compilation of highlights of medalists from the previous day using BD as background music! It was great! It also got me excited about the new ablum coming out (ATYCLB)

Well, my sister at home in Brisbane just emailed me to tell me that channel 7 is playing a smorgasbord of U2 songs along with their Olympics coverage ... here is their list:

BEAUTIFUL DAY
BEAUTIFUL DAY - DANCE MIX
ELECTRICAL STORM
ELEVATION
EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING
EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING (PERFECTO MIX)
LADY WITH THE SPINNING HEAD (EXTENDED DANCE MIX)
MISS SARAJEVO
MYSTERIOUS WAYS
ONE
PRIDE
STUCK IN A MOMENT
SWEETEST THING
UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD
WALK ON
WHEN I LOOK AT THE WORLD
WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME

Ohh I wish I was there to listen! Right now I have to watch Olympics with Hungarian or German commentary (neither of which I understand) and with no U2 :-( Oh well, I still :heart: Olympics!

:wave: I'm half Greek-American

haven't heard any rumours

But nice to say HI to a Greek in Athens Greece, going to the gAMES! I've watched the Olympics for decades now.

Your Opening Ceremony was magnificant!!!

I was very poud and excited to see the games returning to our ancesteral home {tho they belong to The World}

I'm sorry the attendence for the sports is down :(

Gymnastics & Equestrian are my Summer Games favorites, out of several more that I also watch if I can!
But I'd really enjoy seeing Half-pipe Skateboarding etc there too. :D

Hope the rest uis as enjoyable as it's been so far.

Oh, yeah and as I said to a friend just before she said it to me... I have seen interesting, cool etc Sports Stadiums -- but I've never seen ***a really beautful one*** till now.
Your stadium is really gorgeous. Very uplifting!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom