U2 hitting new lows...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BVS, you need to step down from your ultra-politically correct high horse. I happen to like good rock whether it be from artists that are black, white whatever. Color has no part in it.

Justin24, are you also a CSM alum?

Justin24 said:

So he does not like R&B now he is racist.
NEVER FUCKING SAID THAT!!! Justin you're infamous for putting words in people's mouths. STOP!

Justin24 said:

Do you like country, probably not so thats means your hate white people.
Absolutely, I couldn't live without my George Jones, Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, Ryan Adams, or Emmy Lou Harris...

Justin24 said:

Do you like Reggaton probably not so that means you dont like latin/african music
Have to be honest haven't been exposed to much...

Love Reggae though.

Justin24 said:

Do you like Marimba or Mariachi music, probably not so that also can make you look like you dont like hispanics.

Absolutely you should check out Raul Malo.

So you may want to swallow all your "probably nots"...

I am going to San Francisco City College. I am not putting words into peoples mouths. I am saying from experience.

I can't stand Reggaton.

Marimba and Mariachi music also. I guess it has to do with living with a mom who would play that since she is from Guatemala.

adrball said:
Re BVS...

:up: there are plenty of other threads that demonstrate this

Because I wouldn't allow you to spew hate in another thread? Please.

We're not allowed to bring other threads into nonrelavant threads.

East Bay Fan said:
BVS, you need to step down from your ultra-politically correct high horse. I happen to like good rock whether it be from artists that are black, white whatever. Color has no part in it.

I never even mentioned color, except for when I talked about genres.

Nothing PC about it.

I just think it would have been a horribly weak argument for me to say U2 is going down hill because they made 'WLCTT', and the Blues is an inferior genre.

I mean if I have an opinion about something it goes like this "your uneducated, stupid, a biggot because you dont agree with illegal immigrant right, blah blah blah.

BVS, I'm actually a fan of blues and WLCTT. BB King is a well-respected talented artist, unlike MJB.

Hey Justin24. I work at CCSF!

I don't think U2 should have used One or any other old song. If they want to explore RnB, they should make a new song, and I would just choose not to listen to it.
Well, I don't listen to this new version of one either, although I have given it some chances, but I just feel that re-using One was a big mistake. I really didn't think this about U2. They have never really disappointed me, up till now.

My view is that 'rock fans' will love or hate that style of singing.. in terms of R&B singers, I think MJB has alot of credibility, and she is clearly giving it 100% on this song, so for that alone I can't really slag it off and I think it's OK. If it was Mariah Carey - I would have a major issue, but I think this is well done, it will make some U2 fans nausious, it will make somebody driving home from work and hearing it on the radio have shivers up their spine.. so all in all I personally will not be getting my knickers in a twist.

I remember a duet with somebody called Wyclef having some U2 fans spinning on their heads over it being the beginning of the end for U2 but the world never fell apart after that did it? .. and 'New Day' wasn't 'One'.

Justin, I'm non-instructional faculty. I put together classes but I don't teach them. I'll be working the Earth Day Event on April 20 in Ram Plaza.

ElectricalVoice said:
I don't think New Day was Bonos biggest moment, but they didn't re-use a classic.

It was bloody awful but at least they didn't drag a U2 classic through the mud! And it was Bono doing a duet on a new song which is fair enough and I can live with that being crap. But what gets me about this thread is all the people that believe that U2 are treading new ground. Where? Its a song that is 15 years old that virtually musically sounds the same. All they have done, or should I say Bilge, is add somebody who sounds like they are being throttled to the mix. Is this treading new musical ground. Nope its rehashing an old track so they can get played on Radio 1 so they can get Bilges fans buying U2's music.

I agree with the person who started the topic - sorry, but I do. I'm really pissed off at One being loaned out to other people like that. It's the original which means so much to me so it's hard for me to hear an inferior version being peddled around radio and TV and we're all supposed to accept it because we're U2 fans and open-minded. I AM a U2 fan and I AM open-minded but I cannot stand this version of the song. I don't see the point of tampering with it, at all, and I've always disliked Mary J Blige so it's nothing new. I think both she and Bono wrecked it at the Grammys and it's probably to their advantage that Edge, Adam and Larry are being omitted from the crime, lol!

East Bay Fan said:
BVS, I'm actually a fan of blues and WLCTT. BB King is a well-respected talented artist, unlike MJB.

But this is my whole point. She is a very talented and well respected artist, but because you dismiss R&B you don't know that. Just like if someone dismissed the Blues they'd say the same exact thing about WLCTT.

There's not a problem with someone not liking the version, different strokes for different folks-I think it's quite good, though not as good as the original version.I just wish people weren't such drama queens. Sheesh.

Do what i do-Listen to the songs/albums you like and skip the ones you don't. Go ahead and say your opinion about it if you want, afterall this is a message board, but quit whining.

ElectricalVoice said:
I don't think U2 should have used One or any other old song. If they want to explore RnB, they should make a new song, and I would just choose not to listen to it.

I would agree if this was a U2 release, but it's not.

This way it introduces U2 and this song to a whole new audience that may have dismissed U2 before.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I would agree if this was a U2 release, but it's not.

This way it introduces U2 and this song to a whole new audience that may have dismissed U2 before.

But they perform on it, so to me it doesn't matter what name it is on the cover. It's simply a new version of One.
Of course u2 is being introduced to other people through this, but then, suddenly, the motive is fame and money, and I can't say I like the idea of using a over ten year old classic for that.

ElectricalVoice said:

But they perform on it, so to me it doesn't matter what name it is on the cover. It's simply a new version of One.
Of course u2 is being introduced to other people through this, but then, suddenly, the motive is fame and money, and I can't say I like the idea of using a over ten year old classic for that.

So then I guess no one should cover Beatles tunes or Rolling Stones, Dylan Tunes?:huh:

Fame and money, or just trying to cross over barriers in music? How are we to tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom