U2 hidden........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
U2 Hidden messages.

Since the releases of the many albums of U2, there has been a number of rumors about mysteries that are hidden in the tracks. Here is my compilation of rumors floating on the web and personal experience.

Boy
On track nine, Another Time Another Place: Bono starts coughing uncontrollably about seven or eight seconds into the intro. This was obviously caused by the cold which he had during much of the recording of "Boy".

War
Track ten, "40": This song is based on the Bible's Psalm 40, hence the title. Bono once explained it as "We spent 10 minutes writing this song, 10 minutes recording it, 10 minutes producing it and 10 minutes mixing it - which has got nothing to do with why it's called 40".

The Unforgettable Fire
On track four, The Unforgettable Fire: Larry counts off too soon. At approximately 0:05, he says, "Oh sh*t."

Track four, The Unforgettable Fire: This song is about the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima. U2's influence for this song and album came from seeing a display called The Unforgettable Fire consisting of artwork done by victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Rattle and Hum
At about 2:14 into "Heartland" on Rattle and Hum, you can hear Bono clear his throat.

During "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", Bono makes a premature entrance. At 2:14 Bono cuts into the extended New voices of Freedom part with "I believe--", realizes his mistake and stops right away.

On track eleven, Love Rescue Me: At 2:13, someone says, "All right, let's go." At 3:33, Adam hits a sour note.

On Desire (Hollywood Remix): About 2 minutes in Bono says (very quietly) "Suck my d*ck."

The Joshua Tree
On track three, With Or Without You: The line "...and I wait without you / with or without you" (0:53-1:03) sounds like "mmm... we slap you... mmm... we slap you... we want it", when played in reverse.

Achtung Baby
The covers of the four most common releases of four Achtung Baby singles, will form one picture when put together. The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses will merge into a large photograph when formed in a larger square.

On track four, Until The End Of The World: At the beginning of the song, from 0:04 to 0:08, a faint sound can be heard which sounds like someone hammering nails into wood. Because this song deals with Judas' betrayal of Jesus, it is believed that this crucifixion-sound has been put in the mix on purpose.

On track ten, Ultra Violet (Light My Way): From 3:10 to 3:16, Larry drops one of his drum sticks. For these 6 seconds, he isn't playing the toms anymore; he's just playing the snare.

Zooropa
The faint design in the background of the cover consists of several series of letters, which spell out the titles of songs that were written at the time of Zooropa but didn't make the the album. In order of appearance: "Wake up dead man", "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me" and "If you wear that velvet dress" - all released at later stages.

On track one, in the beginning of Zooropa in the piano solo in the static you can hear a computer type voice say over and over,
"We think we think we think we can make it we try to make it"

On track four, Lemon: At about three seconds into Lemon, during the drum-thump intro, someone, perhaps Larry, says, "What song?"

On track seven, Some Days Are Better Than Others at 1:56 there's a strange noise, as if someone is coughing or doing something like that.

Pop
On track three, Mofo: At about 2:16, into the track someone is saying "Happy party?" this could be an actual voice or a combination with synthesizer.

A Playboy Bunny may be found on the *PoP* cover. If you turn it 90 degrees clockwise, Larry's eye becomes Playboy symbol.

On track four, If God Will Send His Angels: At about 5:16, Bono mumbles something that sounds like, "Oh, I must like it bleeding over again"
You can also hear him humming along to the exiting rhythm.

On track six, Last Night on Earth: At the beginning Bono sings "...What the fear caused, stops car feel like a bridge she's back on the street bitter sweet so far..."
Though it can also be transcribed as: ".What the fear caused died, she stops her car, feels like she's back on the street again, with a sweet saffron".
At 2:15, an error in the sampling is said to cause a "hiccup" the sound becomes a bit "uneven" in the cymbals, tambourine, and Edge's vocals. Missing loop perhaps?

On track ten, If You Wear That Velvet Dress: At the beginning, it rumored that some can hear whisper "I want to suck (fuck) you...".

On track eleven, during Please: At about 1:50 after the first verse, someone is counting off "1,2,3,4.." Larry? Flood? You decide

On track twelve, Wake Up Dead Man: In the left stereo channel, an opera singer can be heard singing during parts of the song.
Also, at about 3:08 up to 3:22 a voice in the background seems to "slow down".
http://topmart.virtualave.net/

------------------
Sexy poshin' sugar snarlin' rock and roll ...
sicy@interference.com
My Lair

Wow, that site hasn't been updated in a long time.

I love that hidden messages thing.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

Sicy-
I think your new boyfriend needs to take you on more dates.
You have TOO MUCH time on your hands.
smile.gif

diamond

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

Originally posted by Sicy:
The Joshua Tree
On track three, With Or Without You: The line "...and I wait without you / with or without you" (0:53-1:03) sounds like "mmm... we slap you... mmm... we slap you... we want it", when played in reverse.

...?

Originally posted by diamond:
Sicy-
I think your new boyfriend needs to take you on more dates.
You have TOO MUCH time on your hands.
smile.gif

diamond

How so? All I did was copy and paste it from a website.

Sicy, which ones have you heard yourself?

------------------
?....we?re being thrown out of the studio, we spent 10 minutes writing this next song, 10 minutes recording it, 10 minutes mixing it, 10 minutes playing it back and that?s nothing to do with why it?s called ?40??.? ? Bono - 4/29/87, Chicago, IL

The Joshua Tree

Originally posted by typhoon:
...?

I've heard it in reverse, and it does sound like "mmm we slap you". lol
biggrin.gif

edit: stupid quote tags

------------------

Popheart.org

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 05-20-2002).]

A Playboy Bunny may be found on the *PoP* cover. If you turn it 90 degrees clockwise, Larry's eye becomes Playboy symbol.

I've never heard that one before, but it's true. I wonder if it's just by accidental or intentional- since The Playboy Mansion is on that album.

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
I've never heard that one before, but it's true. I wonder if it's just by accidental or intentional- since The Playboy Mansion is on that album.

It is intentional, I think. It is just too ironic for it not to be.

------------------

Popheart.org

Originally posted by BostonAnne:
Sicy, which ones have you heard yourself?

A couple.

"The faint design in the background of the cover consists of several series of letters, which spell out the titles of songs that were written at the time of Zooropa but didn't make the the album. In order of appearance: "Wake up dead man", "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me" and "If you wear that velvet dress" - all released at later stages. "

"A Playboy Bunny may be found on the *PoP* cover. If you turn it 90 degrees clockwise, Larry's eye becomes Playboy symbol."

I'm going to go listen to tracks and see if I can hear all that stuff.

I just heard it. Ripped it onto my computer and reversed it in GoldWave. I guess it sort of sounds like that to anyone strange enough to be looking for it.
smile.gif

Someone says "Happy Bono?" during Mofo, not "Happy party".

Plus I want to know why no-one can yet come up with the conclusive answer to the question: what is Bono mumbling underneath the guitar solo in If You Wear That Velvet Dress? Five years I've been waiting for this answer!!

Ok I heard these..

"On track four, The Unforgettable Fire: Larry counts off too soon. At approximately 0:05, he says, "Oh sh*t."

"On track three, Mofo: At about 2:16, into the track someone is saying "Happy party?" this could be an actual voice or a combination with synthesizer."

"On track four, If God Will Send His Angels: At about 5:16, Bono mumbles something that sounds like, "Oh, I must like it bleeding over again"

"On track six, Last Night on Earth: At the beginning Bono sings "...What the fear caused, stops car feel like a bridge she's back on the street bitter sweet so far..."

"At 2:15, an error in the sampling is said to cause a "hiccup" the sound becomes a bit "uneven" in the cymbals, tambourine, and Edge's vocals. Missing loop perhaps? "

"On track ten, If You Wear That Velvet Dress: At the beginning, it rumored that some can hear whisper "I want to suck (fuck) you...".

My R&H and AB are at work..

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Mona sent me an mp3 of it a few months ago.. I've still got it on my computer, I believe, if you want me to send it.
smile.gif

That was funny.
biggrin.gif
Thanks.

Ok I heard these..

"On track four, The Unforgettable Fire: Larry counts off too soon. At approximately 0:05, he says, "Oh sh*t."

"On track three, Mofo: At about 2:16, into the track someone is saying "Happy party?" this could be an actual voice or a combination with synthesizer."

"On track four, If God Will Send His Angels: At about 5:16, Bono mumbles something that sounds like, "Oh, I must like it bleeding over again"

"On track six, Last Night on Earth: At the beginning Bono sings "...What the fear caused, stops car feel like a bridge she's back on the street bitter sweet so far..."

"At 2:15, an error in the sampling is said to cause a "hiccup" the sound becomes a bit "uneven" in the cymbals, tambourine, and Edge's vocals. Missing loop perhaps? "

"On track ten, If You Wear That Velvet Dress: At the beginning, it rumored that some can hear whisper "I want to suck (fuck) you...".

My R&H and AB are at work..

OMG you are so fast!!

about the zooropa voice...has anyone heard that? is it referring to the voice that repeats for the whole opening during the piano?
i always thought that voice sounded like 'police cars and travel agents' repeated
wink.gif

The backwards With or Without You thing is actually pretty funny...Download HERE (right click-->save)

with thanks to atu2.com

Thanks mug222 for making it soo easy for me to hear it!
smile.gif

Oh, and thanks to atu2.com too!

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 05-20-2002).]

Hey-
I thought Larry was sneezing in The Unforgettable Fire.
Like -"hah
shees"

D
B

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

Ah, yes. The U2 Mysterious Ways website used to be an old favorite of mine. I can still see my friend Kalen and I listening to the "Mmm...we slap you" file over and over.

I agree with Bullet. I can't figure out anything Bono says in Velvet Dress, and I certainly don't hear him saying "I want to s/fuck you." Hmmm...

Any rumors or strange occurrences from ATYCLB?

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
I can't figure out anything Bono says in Velvet Dress, and I certainly don't hear him saying "I want to s/fuck you." Hmmm...

No. its there! I swear.. right in the beginning... turn it up!.. sounds more like "I want to suck you" not f you.

No. its there! I swear.. right in the beginning... turn it up!.. sounds more like "I want to suck you" not f you.

Yeah, Sicy's right. It's about 0:09 into the song right before Bono starts humming. As for what he's saying during the guitar solo, I have no idea.

I wonder who was listening to WOWY backwards in the first place to discover that "we slap you" thing- talk about having too much time on your hands!
smile.gif

On track four, Until The End Of The World: At the beginning of the song, from 0:04 to 0:08, a faint sound can be heard which sounds like someone hammering nails into wood. Because this song deal with Judas' betrayal of Jesus, it is believed that this crucifixion-sound has been put in the mix on purpose.

^that one is kind of weird. i think the people that assume that were kind of digging too deep.

some of the noises at the begining of UTEOTW were from congos and stuff like that.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
On track four, Until The End Of The World: At the beginning of the song, from 0:04 to 0:08, a faint sound can be heard which sounds like someone hammering nails into wood. Because this song deal with Judas' betrayal of Jesus, it is believed that this crucifixion-sound has been put in the mix on purpose.

^that one is kind of weird. i think the people that assume that were kind of digging too deep.

some of the noises at the begining of UTEOTW were from congos and stuff like that.

Yeah, I haven't ever heard the "hammering" either.

And for the Velvet Dress thing, I HAVE heard that.. its very apparent if you turn it up to 10 on your walkmen..
wink.gif
Which I have, er *cough* done.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Popheart.org

He say suck not f*ck!
He say suck not f*ck!
He say suck not f*ck!
He say suck not f*ck!
He say suck not f*ck!

HE SAY SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!!

now, is any of u gonna take me on over this?

(sorry if I musinderstaad loike....
biggrin.gif
)

btw I cant even hear fecking HALF of these hidden messages.....they are a pile of joke.................

Back
Top Bottom