U2 having a change of heart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
What happened to U2 not selling the rights to their music to be used in commercials? They stopped WTSHNN from being used in a car commercial but they are willing to give away I Will follow, beautiful day, city of blinding lights and Streets in these ESPN commercials. What gives?

NEW @U2 U2 AND ESPN ... TIMES THREE
May 09, 2006
posted by: m2
News from U2Portugal.com via U2tour.de -- the ESPN/U2 World Cup commercials are now available on the web, and what a surprise -- not just Bono doing voiceovers, but Adam does one, too. To see and hear for yourself:

Visit ESPNsoccernet and click ENTER. A new window will pop-up, and you can use the small links at the bottom to watch the three U2-themed commercials: "Anthem" featuring Bono and "City of Blinding Lights", "Cheerleaders" featuring Bono and "Where the Streets Have No Name," and the hysterical (sorry, Scots!) "Tartan Army" featuring Adam and "I Will Follow."

This is also worth mentioning: We're told the band did not get paid for these commercials. The agreement is the same as U2's previous cooperation with ESPN: The band gets the exposure, the network gets use of the music. In addition, there's a brief but noticeable ad for The One Campaign at the end of the "Cheerleaders" spot, which is perhaps part of the agreement, too (but that's speculation for now).

The commercials are totally free , and besides one thing is to make a commercial to a car sales thing , other is for a world cup , sure it's an ad anyway for a channel , but the message is bigger than this , the whole message of it is very good therefore deserves U2 , and again no money envolved dude

J_NP said:
The commercials are totally free , and besides one thing is to make a commercial to a car sales thing , other is for a world cup , sure it's an ad anyway for a channel , but the message is bigger than this , the whole message of it is very good therefore deserves U2 , and again no money envolved dude

I completely agree with this. This commercial is special and it's not just about football. I think it's very U2 like...

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Why are people so intent on jumping on the use of music in an advertisement for a sporting event? It's not like they're hawking cars, alcoholic drinks, or clothing...give it a rest people.

This thread isnt critizing u2 for using its music in commercials, at least im not. i actually am in favor of it. The more exposure U2 has in commercials or media etc. is the more i get to see my fav. band.

I just find it funny how the band was so intent on NOT allowing any of their back catalogue to be used in commercials (ie. Streets for that car commercial) but freely give up 4 of their more treasured songs (including streets) for espn. I dont recall the exact words but bono said something along the lines of him not wanting his fans to think of a car commercial when they listen to streets.
True, the message behind these commercials is much more sincere then a stupid car commercial I just figured the band was against any commercialization of their music, thus was a bit surprised by the espn promos.

if someone could post the article of the band explaining why they wouldnt license streets to i think it was bmw? that would be much appreciated

I, too, was surprised that Streets was used--especially after reading the interview with Bono last year (I'll try and find it and post it...). I think the key point is this one:

DPrinceNY said:
True, the message behind these commercials is much more sincere then a stupid car commercial

Having Streets play behind a car commercial 1). would kind demean the power of Streets, and 2). would affix Streets to a product. Think of Vertigo & the iPod. We don't necessarily think of the iPod when we hear Vertigo because we're crazy U2 fans, but I would bet a good chunk of the general public does.

The World Cup isn't really a "product." I'd argue that its use for an event is a bit different----you're less likely to think of the World Cup every time you hear Streets, and you're not very likely to think of Streets when the World Cup comes around again in 4 years. I'd also say that with the way the WC is seen and felt around the world, no band's music other than U2 could even reach the same level.

Just my sort of justification of it all. It also made me feel better that they didn't take any money. :wink:

Here's the article with Bono's interview in which he mentions not allowing Streets to be used in a car commercial. I actually think it's a great article & give it to people who are obsessed with the notion of "selling out" and "good" bands don't want money or publicity. :rolleyes:

http://www.interference.com/u2128132/index.html

What gives? This is nothing new.
U2 allowed the NFL (American football) to use their songs a few years back in ads and broadcasts. They played halftime at both the NBA playoffs (recorded) and the Super Bowl. Remember Bono shouting "NBA" in the middle of one of those songs=ringeworthy.

Plus I've heard 'Streets' at sporting events for almost 20 years.
What's the difference?

I don't have any problems with this, I have a bigger problem when I see Lenny Kravitz selling jeans, not that I give a damn about Lenny Kravitz, but sports aren't about materialistic things as much about community. Yes, it's big business, but so is U2.

I'll never forget seeing Tool at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, 2002.

Totally theatric production. Crazy stage. Giant video screens playing this weird surgery and eyeball shit with boobs. Maynard stood elevated behind the stage and spent the whole show in the shadows. He looked like Golum. Bassist dressed in black. Guitar player dressed in black.

And there's Danny Carey, playing drums in a Kansas basketball jersrey.

I went on ESPN SoccerNet and there are actually 4 commercials...2 with Bono(one titled Ivory Coast with Streets and the other titled Anthem with COBL), one with Adam titled Tartan Army featuring I will follow and the fourth one is called Sick Days with Edge and Beautiful Day.

I liked the ads and they actually got me excited about the World Cup(guess I'll be calling in sick as well!)

By the way....I guess Larry was busy that day!

MrBrau1 said:
Didn't Larry write music for the Irish team once?

yep yep...he sampled Dearg Doom by the Horslips in it....coolest football song ever:cool:

Put them under pressure:rockon:

I'm not sure why people are so against actors doing commercials or bands using their music in an ad. If it's tastefully done or even humorous, why not?

Also, Larry did a Harleys' commercial back in the late 80's! So if U2 felt that way then, I don't see the problem now.

Back
Top Bottom