U2 hasn't put out a great album since AB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. My top five U2 albums are:

AB
Bomb
Pop
UF
JT

So I can't say that they lost it since AB. I do think, however, that AB is one of the best records ever made by any band. A little less than that will do just fine in my book.
Also, I think that Bomb is the album ATYCLB should have been in the first place.

people bomb is not a good album!! i listened to it again last night its just fillers and no killers!! people are already forgetting about it!!
even u2 knows AB was their last good album!! even though zooropa had some great songs and so did pop!!
but atyclb and htdaab are so bland and boring it leaves your family and friends snoring!!! and with this new u2 song clip its sounds bland,simple and boring and very uninteresting!!
to put it in simple words id say U2 ARE STALE!!!!

... wow, I think that's the most shaun vox has ever posted in one go. :ohmy:

In terms of what the general music buying public thinks is "great", these are the the top 5 selling(this week) U2 albums on amazon.com in order:

The Best of 1980-1990
The Best of 1990-2000
The Joshua Tree
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (this one's descending)
Achtung Baby

Great U2 Albums

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

Best Since Achtung Baby

In all honesty - HTDAAB

Zootlesque said:
I like all their albums. There, I said it. I like everything from Boy to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

:up:

The reason I love them so much is their solidarity over time.

But of course I rank some higher than others, and IMO there hasn't been an album up to the caliber of Achtung Baby since November 1991.

Axver said:
... wow, I think that's the most shaun vox has ever posted in one go. :ohmy:

Shaun doesn't just post... he EXCLAIMS!!

And am I the lone Interferencer who still thinks The Joshua Tree is their best album?:reject:

Ok maybe I'll admit that I don't like ATYCLB as much as I used to but I don't see what's so wrong with HTDAAB...I can very easily agree with Zootles...I like all their albums (except Passangers and October, but only because I've never heard them), is there something really wrong with that?

AB is the best of all of their albums, I agree with that.

But Zooropa and POP are also LP's that I can listen to everyday from the start to the end... great great records, daring, interesting, exciting....and they rock...

but I have to admit that I never play ATYCLB or HTDAAB on my cd player or my iPod... more so - I never put on my compilaton playlists any song from those two LP except maybe sometimes "When I Look At The World"...the songs from these 2 lp's just don't do it for me, i feel nothing except some harmless and bland melodies...

for instance - take the "Rock" song from HTDAAB - LAPOE and listen to it 10 times at once and than see if you will get bored and will pu be eager to play it for the 11th time. After that play UTEOTW for 10 times and compare the feelings after listening to these two songs... For me UTEOTW has this mood, creativity, excitement that LAPOE doesn't have, it has a gimick, a nice guitar part and that is it - after you scratch the surface there is nothing...

I don't know if you watched that interview with edge and bono in Tokyo after the last Zoo TV gig - but there you can see Bono describing the U2 of last 5 years when he is saying that r'n'r is stale, non-progressive, boring etc....

I think that they are either afraid (hope so) to do exciting and advenerous music or they simply don't have it with them anmore (i fear this possibility)

Zootlesque said:
I like all their albums. There, I said it. I like everything from Boy to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

word homie. I'd even go as far to say that I love all their albums. Just...some more than others :wink:

freetobeme said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the band, but I have not truly enjoyed any of their work since AB. That was the last great album. I am proud they still have a career and are on tour, but the output since AB has been less than stellar, and while I own all those albums I never play them. Maybe 2 or 3 good songs on each one, then eehhhh, next CD.

Are there any other fans here willing to admit this is true?

hmm, i don't know, the first couple listens i might have agreed with you but all the post-ab albums really grew on me. sometiems i find myself holding those songs to the ab standard and it makes them seem a little worse, but if you don't compare it to ab then it's better. i don't know, just my opinion

Not true U2 has put out some very nice material over the last 15 years since Achtung Baby....Yes it has been 15 years and I still challege people to really come up with a band that has played the number of styles of music sucessfully in the last 15 years that U2 has done....not many out there have put out as many good albums in the last 15 years as U2, whether people here think its up to the standard or not I think its just nostalgia talking. But I think if you asked most people to give an honest opinion of U2 they would still say they are "amazing" not just "good".

I seems like some U2 fans hate an album and then when the album comes alive on tour they like it. Of course after the tour they go back to hating it.
More than anything it seems like U2 is making music at the level they were at the time of Achtung Baby but have had poor production value. I mentioned this on another thread, that U2 should try to make the songs bloom before they finish the album. I suggested that they "borrow" an arena and perform the songs in a live format while recording. That may be a stupid idea but someone is hard pressed to say the production value has been good as of late.
Honestly, how many people skipped Original Of The Species, Miracle Drug, Yahweh, and Crumbs that loved them in a live form.
U2 hasn't lost its magic just the production team.

If you ignore Zooropa and ATYCLB, then I'd agree with this thread's title..........HTDAAB is by no means a classic, it has plenty of filler moments. Moreso for POP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom