U2 had never before tried THAT hard to become the world's hottest band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
I'm just gonna state the following facts:

It's the first time that U2 release different singles in different parts of the world. This happened with Walk On and Stuck that were released in a different order in the two sides of the Atlantic, obviously in the intention for the maximum sales/chart success. And not only that, we see that Stuck In A Moment now has a new, more american-friendly video (that video with the football game would have failed big time in Europe). And Walk On's video when it will be released in Europe will be the Brazilian version, thought to be better for Europe. If you combine this fact with the BIG production of the Elevation video and its link with the Tomb Raider movie (although it proved a big time failure in the US) you can see that this was also an attempt to drive U2 to success in a way that we have never before seen from the band. Maybe they really understand that this is a turnpoint in their career and it's probably their last chance to really have the general revognition as the Best Band In The World. And the thing is that U2 really are the best band but let's face it, this is not generally acknowledged by the average person but only from the people that are into good music. So, my opinion is that they will be doing more things towards this direction in order to establish their fame.

Here's one more important detail:
I remember one member of the band saying (after Bono's statement in the Grammies about the best band in the world) that these past years they had lost ground in their attempt. And it's true, the POP era was kind of a step back in U2's popularity, I think, and so was the fact that they kind of dind't record albums too often. So, my prediction? Prepare for a new U2 album every 2 years for the few years to come, prepare for some of the best U2 songs ever to be released but also prepare for some more commercial style from our favourite band.

Voxson

Originally posted by voxson:
I'm just gonna state the following facts:

It's the first time that U2 release different singles in different parts of the world.

This is not correct. Throughout their whole carreer U2 has released different singles in different markets. It already started with the October album. I think I Will Follow was U2's first single in the US. However, Fire, Gloria and A Celebration were never released in the US. (Don't know for sure though). "40" was only released in Germany (and a live version of I Will Follow only in the Netherlands and Germany in 1982). Sunday Bloody Sunday was favoured over Two Hearts Beat As One in different parts of the world. The Joshua Tree's In God's Country was only released in the USA and One Tree Hill only in Australasia. The Even Better Than The Real Thing - Remix single was only available for retail in Europe. Lemon was only released in Australasia/Japan and Pop's Mofo Remixes single was a non USA release.
Apart from different singles, release dates also differed sometimes for different parts of the world. I don't have any info about that though.
So, I think you're incorrect in saying U2 started to do this with their latest album.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
This is not correct. Throughout their whole carreer U2 has released different singles in different markets. It already started with the October album. I think I Will Follow was U2's first single in the US. However, Fire, Gloria and A Celebration were never released in the US. (Don't know for sure though). "40" was only released in Germany (and a live version of I Will Follow only in the Netherlands and Germany in 1982). Sunday Bloody Sunday was favoured over Two Hearts Beat As One in different parts of the world. The Joshua Tree's In God's Country was only released in the USA and One Tree Hill only in Australasia. The Even Better Than The Real Thing - Remix single was only available for retail in Europe. Lemon was only released in Australasia/Japan and Pop's Mofo Remixes single was a non USA release.
Apart from different singles, release dates also differed sometimes for different parts of the world. I don't have any info about that though.
So, I think you're incorrect in saying U2 started to do this with their latest album.

C ya!

Marty

Hi Marty,

It appears that your info is correct. However I don't think that info from the October era can make any comparison for now since U2 was not an established world act then and had not conquered the US market until then. This explains why they didn't release some singles in the US. Anyway, my point was mainly for the US and European markets which are what gives the world pace anyway (exclusive local releases in different countries of the world were always common) so I will still insist on my opinion since this is the 1st time that this happens to a main single (and not a special remixes collection) in over 10 years. I wouldn't stick to old examples since we have more recent 90's data which shows that U2 have followed a common singles strategy in the US and Europe.

Starting from AB: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, Even Better, Who's gonna ride were all the same. Same with Stay from Zooropa and then Hold me Thrill me, and the POP singles Discotheque, Staring, Last Night, Please, If God will send his angels and then of course Sweetest Thing. All had the same videos and were released more or less in the same time. So I think that it does show a change of strategy that we haven't seen in a while. The different videos are kind of a first time thing as well.

Anyway, I hope you get the main idea of what I'm trying to say...

Voxson

Back
Top Bottom