u2 greatest band of all time(Access Hollywood )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I really can't! Even considering who else is on the list...Kinda cool, though!

shaun vox said:
top ten bands(et)
1.u2.
2.rolling stones.
3.beatles.
4.led zeppelin.

what the fuck.i cant believe it, can you.

NO I can't, cause where's the Who?

But, if Access Hollywood says so, it's gotta be right. Oh my, there's Ben and JLo.

Yippeeeeeee....

:sexywink:

hmm...I can accept that, but I agree with cujo about The Who. I especially like that the Rolling Stones are right up there, I'm not much of a Beatles fan.

:applaud: U2

Interesting top 4. For sheer power and magic - Zeppelin. For pop artistry and a generational significance - The Beatles. For staying power and many scattered, magical hits - the Stones. For songs with passion and fire, mixed with the longest lasting original line-up in Rock History - U2. I agree with Cujo the Who belong in there to round out the top 5. And can someone tell me where is Duran Duran? ;-)

Well i know why everyone cant believe it because its wrong.

Just got finished watching the show and the top four are:

1. The Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. U2
4. Led Zeppelin

That i think is the top four and access hollywood got it DEAD on. Sorry i dont know where you got that info but its wrong.

U2 is great but no one can overtake the Beatles. I always thought U2 should be fourth behind the Beatles, Stones, and Led Zeppelin, maybe even The Who (who finished 7th on AC) Maybe in time, before it's all over, they'll move up. They are great but just not old enough yet;)

Sorry but putting the Surpremes in the list was out of line because they do not play instruments. They were good and influential but not a band. I know they served as double for PC reasons.

I have no problem with U2 being in a list of top 5 bands of all time. They've been around for over 20 years now.

And people, it's not the end all be all list, it's just a silly list compiled by Access Hollywood. They're meaningless really, even if they are reflective of people's opinions.

Bildo said:
U2s good and all, but theres just no way theyd even make the top 5 of all time, at this point. To suggest they should be there is bollocks.

I completely disagree. I think that Led Zeplin is completely over-rated. Never did anything for me, and The Who can't touch U2 IMO. Beatles and Stones ok, but even the Stones have really been put up in the higher rankings because of their live shows and never-ending touring. Only a couple of their albums are really recognized as a "classic". I take that back, really only Exile on Main Street is considered a "classic", the rest are fairly hit and miss.

For U2, you have Boy which is considered one of the great debut albums, you have War which was considered a classic before U2 themselves over-shadowed it with The Joshua Tree (universally considered one of the greatest albums of all time) then yet another classic with Achtung Baby, then many out there considering ATYCLB yet another "masterpiece" (not me, but many others). They are pretty much considered the best live band of the moment and maybe EVER - completely breaking new ground for live concerts with each tour. Probably the most copied band when it comes to stage configuration, seating, lighting, etc... (Anyone notice the huge increase in general admission seating after U2 pulled it off successfully? And I see many more concerts with a "Heart" type area now as well. It's pretty amusing).

Anyway, I put aside the Who, Led Zeplin maybe in the top 5, but just not my cup of tea. who else would be up there besides U2, Beatles and Stones?

womanfish said:
Anyway, I put aside the Who, Led Zeplin maybe in the top 5, but just not my cup of tea. who else would be up there besides U2, Beatles and Stones?

The Stone Roses, Velvet Underground... a lot of people could come up with "sleeper" picks. But it all comes down to your opinion. I would put Zep and The Who over the Beatles and the Stones as far as best bands are concerned. But, the Beatles and The Stones had more pop appeal, and that's why you don't see more obscure names floated as best band candidates. Those lists are decided by one or two things really... exposure and subjectivity. Garbage such as relevance, influence, and innovation are all subjective categories. Besides, would you stop listening to U2 because some Entertainment Variety show told you they weren't the best?

Folly.

That's right, I called it.

I'd mention Stone Roses in the list of the most influential bands, but IMO greatest bands are measured by their body of work, and one classic album is just ain't enough.

Personally I'd vote for Pink Floyd (with 3 classic albums, "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here" & "The Wall").

Its refreshing to see someone with a sense of taste on here. I couldnt believe that no one had mentioned Pink Floyd yet.
And whats with whoever it was that said that 'Boy' was better than anything The Who had done? You are so on crack!

U2, in my books, would be on the outside of the top 5 bands of all time. Beatles-Stones-Led Zeppelin-Pink Floyd-The Who. Then U2. And that is great company. U2 have had 20 years and do not pump alblum out like others. These other bands are timeless and are from an era of innovation.

Womanfish you talk about how U2 have revolutionized the live concert, i agree. But U2 cant be credited with any large or any larger innovations music wise. Edge is a good guatarist but put next to Pete-Paige-McCartney-Richards would be laughable. Bono is a great frontman, maybe the best but U2 havent changed the way people listen to music. Those other 5 bands have.

Bildo said:
Its refreshing to see someone with a sense of taste on here. I couldnt believe that no one had mentioned Pink Floyd yet.
And whats with whoever it was that said that 'Boy' was better than anything The Who had done? You are so on crack!

Haha.

:up:

Bildo said:

I agree with the Pink Floyd sentiment. They deserve to be up in the top 10 at least in my opinion.

And you may be referring to me with your Boy statement. If you go back and actually read the post you will see I didn't say that Boy was better than anything the Who ever did. You are the one who needs to lay off the crack. I said if you look at the fact that U2 has such critically acclaimed albums like Boy, War, JT, AB, ATYCLB that their body of work far outdoes the Who.

Here is my original statment:

<For U2, you have Boy which is considered one of the great debut albums, you have War which was considered a classic before U2 themselves over-shadowed it with The Joshua Tree (universally considered one of the greatest albums of all time) then yet another classic with Achtung Baby, then many out there considering ATYCLB yet another "masterpiece" (not me, but many others). They are pretty much considered the best live band of the moment and maybe EVER - completely breaking new ground for live concerts with each tour. Probably the most copied band when it comes to stage configuration, seating, lighting, etc... (Anyone notice the huge increase in general admission seating after U2 pulled it off successfully? And I see many more concerts with a "Heart" type area now as well. It's pretty amusing).>

Does it look like I only mentioned Boy???? :eyebrow: :madspit:

Last edited:
Normally I'd be very happy to see U2 ranked among the Top 5 bands of all time, but since this list comes from a show that runs an exclusive every time J-Lo goes to the bathroom I don't think it really counts for much.

JLo is here. I'm so excited.

The two events are completely unrelated though.

:sexywink:

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
people will get mad and totally disagree with me, but at any rate, i think radiohead deserves to be mentioned.

yes, and Oasis also :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom