u2 greatest band of all time(Access Hollywood )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jack In The Box said:
yes, and Oasis also :rolleyes:

As a concerned bystander, my only advice is run. And play dead if bear catches you.

:up:

womanfish said:
I take that back, really only Exile on Main Street is considered a "classic", the rest are fairly hit and miss.

well, i can only laugh at that statement. please note, im only laughing since you're not voicing an opinion (that would be fine with me) but stating this as some sort of fact (general consensus or whatever) is utterly wrong.

almost any of the rolling stones' sixties albums up to exile on main street in 1972 are widely recognized as 'your typical classic' album. to name but a few:

aftermath
beggars banquet
led it bleed
sticky fingers

i dont think u2 have made one album that has had so much influence on other bands or music lovers in general as any of these albums, except maybe for the joshua tree.

having said that: classic or not, to me there really are but two bands that i have adored almost all of my life, which i know will never change:

u2 and the rolling stones!!!!!!

yes, peeps, i could also have stated:

the rolling stones and u2!!!!!!

since it always has been, still is and always will be a tie.

if i had to rank 'classic bands and artists' i think it should be:

1. beatles (i really do like them, but not like u2 or stones)
2. rolling stones
3. elvis (why hasnt anybody mentioned him before - b/c its bands only, or does noone agree on this??????)
then it becomes tricky. i think hereafter come led zeppelin, the who and pink floyd but im not sure how to rank them. funny thing, ive never particularly cared too much for any of these three bands but i do know they have been very influential. i believe u2 should be ranked amongst those three bands as in terms of classic but may in time even climb at the level of elvis or the stones. i dont think they will equal the beatles though. i think in modern times music no artist ever will equal that.

thats it folks, its all about the times we live in. you know, there were times when new albums were eagerly awaited by the larger part of the general public. it was a real happening whenever a record such as revolver or beggars banquet was released and everybody would talk about it. times have changed. of course many bands still have a lot of fans but the release of an album isnt a happening anymore. people take it for granted that good music is being released all the time. there's also a lot of flood and many people arent that interested anymore. too much competition from other things that people do.

Last edited:
oh and i should have stated that i also rank bob dylan, david bowie and lou reed on the same 'classic' level with the bands after the top 3.

I think the reason solo artists like Bowie, Dylan, Elvis and Hendrix weren't mentioned is because this was about BANDS. So, why put in those singing only groups like The Supremes and Temps?! :confused: The Doors only getting an honorable mention is crazy when those made it. Hendrix should have made it as The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I don't know that I would put Pink Floyd on my list, but they deserve it more than Temps, Surpremes or Jackson 5 who all made the list. Nirvana was kind of new to make the list, but their influence can't be denied, so a number 9 ranking wasn't undeserved. Did anybody even post the actual list? It was, starting with #1- Beatles, Rolling Stones, U2, Led Zeppelin, The Jackson 5, The Beach Boys, The Who, The Supremes, Nirvana, The Temptations. It's nice to see U2 rate so high but this is just another list and anyone could have made a different one.

Last edited:
Access Hollywood has no credibility. First they are a no-name entity. Second, look at the list of those next to U2, it is obvious that a few greater bands have been missed out in favor of these mediocre bands. So I take it with a grain of salt. No one really cares what access hollywood thinks.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

1. Pink Floyd
2. U2
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Beatles
5. The Rolling Stones
6. The Who
7. The Doors
8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
9. The Eagles
10. AC/DC

Last edited:
Yes, I do agree. Edge is a fabulous guitarist, but the Fantastic Foursome (Page-Townshend-Richards-Gilmour (I don't include McCartney cause he's more of a bass player, and quite frankly, he's not terrific on the guitar)) would, in a duel, wipe the floor with Edge. Edge just doesn't have the improv skills that Page or Townshend do.

He might, might come close to Keith Richards, cause Keef's half-dead at this point, and Keith's style is more that of a rhythm player. So I think that might be close.

Now with Davie (my favorite guitarist), Edge would be wrecked. Just listen to Marooned off The Division Bell CD, or Shine On You Crazy Diamond from Wish You were Here, or you could listen to what has been called the greatest guitar solo of all time (especially live), Comfortably Numb. :drool:

So here's a recap:

Edge vs. Page: Page (for improv skills)
Edge vs. Townshend: Townshend (for improv and show-stopping talents)
Edge vs. Richards: TIE (for Richards' style and the fact that he shoulda been dead 20 years ago)
Edge vs. Gilmour: Gilmour (for sheer guitar godliness)

That's my 2 cents.

bonoman said:
Just throwing it out there but Page would wipe the floor with all of them. And thats a fact!

I dunno...I've been watching my brother's copy of How The West Was Won and, while Page is a great guitar god, he hits LOADS of sour notes when improvising solos live. You probably wouldn't notice if you weren't a guitar player, but when you've got a musical ear like I do, it's GLARINGLY obvious that he keeps hitting notes that are off-key. It's not that fantastic. I think Dave Gilmour or Pete Townshend could beat him. Jimmy Page wasn't the greatest guitarist of all time. And THAT is the fact, bonoman.

Just out of curiosity, B-man...do you play guitar? I'd like to get a bit more technical to ease my explanations of things but you'd need to be a guitarist to understand quite a bit of it. :)

DaveC said:
I dunno...I've been watching my brother's copy of How The West Was Won and, while Page is a great guitar god, he hits LOADS of sour notes when improvising solos live. You probably wouldn't notice if you weren't a guitar player, but when you've got a musical ear like I do, it's GLARINGLY obvious that he keeps hitting notes that are off-key. It's not that fantastic. I think Dave Gilmour or Pete Townshend could beat him. Jimmy Page wasn't the greatest guitarist of all time. And THAT is the fact, bonoman.

I think that also had to do with the quality of the recordings/equipment, as well as the fact that the source is in excess of 20 years old. I've listened to long extended performances of the Who and Zep... and I generally hear the same amount of off tempo hits with both. That's the thing with improvisation. I'm a guitarist myself, nowhere near that level (or most likely yours for that matter), and I think you're being a little harsh on Jimmay. As for PF, I'm not as well versed in some of their live material... so I'll take your word for it.

I'm also wondering how this came about to be a discussion of the greatest guitarists in the world. Technical skills and extensive soloing are not the cornerstone of a great band. By that measure, a band with Zakk Wylde (who is currently touring with Ozzy) would hold more of an advantage over more rounded acts... those not so reliant on the guitar.

Don't even begin to compare Zakk Wylde with Jimmy Page.

And no, I'm not talking about off-tempo hits. Those aren't necessarily bad at times, and sometimes add to the piece. I'm talking about off-key hits. Ones that, for example, if you're playing in the key of F minor pentatonic, you hit an A#. It just sounds kinda sickly.

Page had a lot of 'em. Those kinds of things are not affected by quality of source tape, etc. You either hit the note right or you don't.

DaveC said:
Don't even begin to compare Zakk Wylde with Jimmy Page.

I wasn't. Read what I said.

And no, I'm not talking about off-tempo hits. Those aren't necessarily bad at times, and sometimes add to the piece.

That's what I tell people when I do it. :up:

I'm talking about off-key hits. Ones that, for example, if you're playing in the key of F minor pentatonic, you hit an A#. It just sounds kinda sickly.

Page had a lot of 'em. Those kinds of things are not affected by quality of source tape, etc. You either hit the note right or you don't.

Ok, well now that you've qualified it I understand your point. And yes, hitting a different key in the Dorian scale sounds like crap. Open notes or accidentally placed keys can kill a solo... but for the non-virtuosos out there, like myself, it makes very little difference. For this thread, it is quite inconsequential. Therefore, I love it. :up:

Stairway to heaven is the best rock song ever.greatest solo ever.
ive heard much of pink floyed but zep and jimmy page are immortal.C-numb is a nice song.
there are alot of great guitar players out there but there is something special about jimmy page.and lets not forget jimmy hendrix.

looks at thread topic:lol:

bonoman said:
maybe its a thing with me butb jimmy is, in my books, the greatest of all time.

I would have sported the Jimmy sig, but the Bonzo one was right there.

Shameless Self-Promotion Alert:

Check out the Led Zeppelin, Large And Live thread in Just The Bang And The Clatter forum... more reasons to affirm Mr. Page.

shaun vox said:
cujo could you hook me up with a jimmy sign(like the bonzo one you have)

I'll see what I can do. There's a lot of potential good posters here for the Even Better Than The Real Thing forum. Revive it please.

Back
Top Bottom