u2 greatest band of all time(Access Hollywood ) - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Just throwing it out there but Page would wipe the floor with all of them. And thats a fact!

Old 07-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Just throwing it out there but Page would wipe the floor with all of them. And thats a fact!
I dunno...I've been watching my brother's copy of How The West Was Won and, while Page is a great guitar god, he hits LOADS of sour notes when improvising solos live. You probably wouldn't notice if you weren't a guitar player, but when you've got a musical ear like I do, it's GLARINGLY obvious that he keeps hitting notes that are off-key. It's not that fantastic. I think Dave Gilmour or Pete Townshend could beat him. Jimmy Page wasn't the greatest guitarist of all time. And THAT is the fact, bonoman.

Just out of curiosity, B-man...do you play guitar? I'd like to get a bit more technical to ease my explanations of things but you'd need to be a guitarist to understand quite a bit of it.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
I dunno...I've been watching my brother's copy of How The West Was Won and, while Page is a great guitar god, he hits LOADS of sour notes when improvising solos live. You probably wouldn't notice if you weren't a guitar player, but when you've got a musical ear like I do, it's GLARINGLY obvious that he keeps hitting notes that are off-key. It's not that fantastic. I think Dave Gilmour or Pete Townshend could beat him. Jimmy Page wasn't the greatest guitarist of all time. And THAT is the fact, bonoman.
I think that also had to do with the quality of the recordings/equipment, as well as the fact that the source is in excess of 20 years old. I've listened to long extended performances of the Who and Zep... and I generally hear the same amount of off tempo hits with both. That's the thing with improvisation. I'm a guitarist myself, nowhere near that level (or most likely yours for that matter), and I think you're being a little harsh on Jimmay. As for PF, I'm not as well versed in some of their live material... so I'll take your word for it.

I'm also wondering how this came about to be a discussion of the greatest guitarists in the world. Technical skills and extensive soloing are not the cornerstone of a great band. By that measure, a band with Zakk Wylde (who is currently touring with Ozzy) would hold more of an advantage over more rounded acts... those not so reliant on the guitar.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:23 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Don't even begin to compare Zakk Wylde with Jimmy Page.

And no, I'm not talking about off-tempo hits. Those aren't necessarily bad at times, and sometimes add to the piece. I'm talking about off-key hits. Ones that, for example, if you're playing in the key of F minor pentatonic, you hit an A#. It just sounds kinda sickly.

Page had a lot of 'em. Those kinds of things are not affected by quality of source tape, etc. You either hit the note right or you don't.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:28 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Don't even begin to compare Zakk Wylde with Jimmy Page.
I wasn't. Read what I said.

Quote:
And no, I'm not talking about off-tempo hits. Those aren't necessarily bad at times, and sometimes add to the piece.

That's what I tell people when I do it.

Quote:
I'm talking about off-key hits. Ones that, for example, if you're playing in the key of F minor pentatonic, you hit an A#. It just sounds kinda sickly.

Page had a lot of 'em. Those kinds of things are not affected by quality of source tape, etc. You either hit the note right or you don't.
Ok, well now that you've qualified it I understand your point. And yes, hitting a different key in the Dorian scale sounds like crap. Open notes or accidentally placed keys can kill a solo... but for the non-virtuosos out there, like myself, it makes very little difference. For this thread, it is quite inconsequential. Therefore, I love it.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:16 AM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:05 PM

Stairway to heaven is the best rock song ever.greatest solo ever.
ive heard much of pink floyed but zep and jimmy page are immortal.C-numb is a nice song.
there are alot of great guitar players out there but there is something special about jimmy page.and lets not forget jimmy hendrix.

looks at thread topic
Old 07-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 07:05 AM
maybe its a thing with me butb jimmy is, in my books, the greatest of all time.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:51 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
maybe its a thing with me butb jimmy is, in my books, the greatest of all time.
I would have sported the Jimmy sig, but the Bonzo one was right there.

Shameless Self-Promotion Alert:

Check out the Led Zeppelin, Large And Live thread in Just The Bang And The Clatter forum... more reasons to affirm Mr. Page.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:07 AM   #49
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:05 PM

cujo could you hook me up with a jimmy sign(like the bonzo one you have)
Old 07-05-2003, 02:13 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
cujo could you hook me up with a jimmy sign(like the bonzo one you have)
I'll see what I can do. There's a lot of potential good posters here for the Even Better Than The Real Thing forum. Revive it please.