U2 Grammy nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by NON-POPtart:
Out of 8 they have to win SOMETHING!!

B]

They WILL win, more than one I'm sure!!
smile.gif

Eight nominations is great, isn't it?

Go U2!

WOHOOOOOO!!! 8 nominations
eek.gif
! GO U2 GO!!!

That is awesome!! So Happy for the guys!
wink.gif

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

! SCOOOOOOOOOOORRRREEE!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
a litle girl with Spanish eyes

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

Album of the Year: Gotta think they'll win that. Which means...

Rock Album of the Year: That's a given, seeing as they're the only one nominated who's also nominated for overall album.

Record & Song of the Year: I'd be stunned if they win here. Besides winning last year, I think have two different songs is a detriment. Certainly hope they win one or both, but I expect Keys or Train to take this. (Furtado & Outkast are highly unlikely as they're only nominated in one of the two, and India Arie just doesn't have as big a name right now as Keys or Train)

Best Pop Performance by Duo/Group: I like their chances here. Can't see *NSync or Backstreet winning. The nomination for REM looks more like they're throwing a good veteran group a bone, that song didn't do anything. I dig Five For Fighting (although that's not really a duo or group, that's just one person), but I think U2 will win.

Rock Performance by Duo/Group: Train wins this.

Rock Song: Train again. I think U2 would stand a better chance if only Walk On were nominated. Cool to have two nominations, but it actually hurts their chances of winning.

So in seven categories I think they'll win three. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Given the success last year, I'm already pleased to see that they've received so many nominations.

a big woooooohoooo for U2! hope they win ALL 8! and props to the GRAMMY's for recognizing the genius that is U2
wink.gif

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

OMG!

today, during my naviagating society class, we were watching CNN. it was live, something about president bush going to texas. i don't really know, i was reading the scroller at the bottom of the screen. (this was about 12:15 EST) all the sudden it scrolls that U2 lead the grammy noms with 8... i inwardly freak out and outwardly knock my book of the desk. which then prompts weird looks from my teacher and several classmates.

congrats, U2! you should be so proud, you've earned it!!!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

What is the difference between song of the year, record of the year, etc? Can someone explain the technical differences? Or is it one of those things that are really the same thing but they made more awards to so they can spread it around or seomthing?

Originally posted by cainz:
What is the difference between song of the year, record of the year, etc? Can someone explain the technical differences? Or is it one of those things that are really the same thing but they made more awards to so they can spread it around or seomthing?

Song of the year is a songwriter's award.
Record of the year is a performer's award -of one song.
Album of the year, then, is for the entire album.

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher ** <--my "spoons"

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

*If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane!*

I think U2 will either come away with 1 award or as many as 6. I have a feeling that Feb. 27th could be a another sweep, but my heart tells me they won't end up batting .500. Then again, I suppose they could recieve 2 or 3.

1)Their best bet is Album of the Year. India Aire is unknown and because of that stigma she will not stand a chance in this category. Dylan may surprise, but I doubt he'll win. Outkast is too urban for this mainstream award. O' Brother Where Art Tou? is too country for the mainstream.

My odds:
U2--------EVEN
Arie------50-1
Dylan-----4-1
O Brother-20-1
Outkast---100-1

2)Record of the Year: I'm still stunned to find India Arie with so many nominations considering how few had actually heard of her before the 4th of January. Outkast is too urban for this award. Train could pull it off, but their album didn't get rave reviews. That could drive 'rock loving' voters in U2's direction. Additionally, Walk On became the alternative American Anthem throughout the days following 9/11 and that doesn't hurt when people are trying to pick a song that represents the past year in music. Therefore I think it's a competition between U2 and Keyes with the Irish having an early lead.

My odds:

U2-----------4-1
Keyes--------3-1
Outkast------15-1
Arie---------50-1
Train--------7-1

3)Song of the Year: Train's "Drops of Jupiter" sounds like an overrated, Elton John ballad from 1973, plus don't forget the bad reviews the album recieved. This award tends to go to established acts. Train are not "Grammy" material. Nelly Furtado's hit was a exactly that, but does anyone really think it will win? No, and it won't. India Arie's Video...do I need to reiterate my case against India Arie? I didn't think so. Once again, that leaves U2 and Keyes. If U2 wins for Walk On, I can see Stuck taking this trophey. Will voters mark U2 across their ballots? Unlikely. Which makes me reconsider my prediction for Record of the Year. I think U2 will hurt themselves by having two different songs nominated in these similar categories. I give it to Keyes.

My odds:

U2----------- 4-1
Train-------- 7-1
Keyes-------- 3-1
Furtado------25-1
Arie---------50-1

4)Best Pop Performance By a Duo or Group with Vocal: Backstreet Boys and N'Sync cancell each other out. Five for Fighting had that song...oh great...let's give them a prestigous award for having a short-lived visit with mediocre songwriting....NOT!!!!! U2 will win this award for the 2nd straight year. REM could shock everyone with a win, but rarely do you see surprises at the Grammys.

My odds:

Backstreet Boys--10-1
5 for Fighting---15-1
N'Sync-----------8-1
REM--------------5-1
U2---------------3-1

5)Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Aerosmith has never won a Grammy, have they? If they have, they'll still walk away emptyhanded. Jaded was a cool song, but if they wouldn't award Aerosmith's earlier work, they won't start with Jaded. Coldplay's "Yellow": Nice song, but it's the dark horse. Train's "Drops of Jupiter": Nice song, which has potential in this category. Dave Matthews Band's "Space Between": I always thought this was more of a pop/love song. Maybe it's not, but I still think it won't win. U2's 'Elevation' is my favorite, and will be in a deadheat race between Train, and Matthews.

My odds:

Aerosmith------20-1
Coldplay------- 7-1
Dave Matthews-- 4-1
Train---------- 3-1
U2------------- 4-1

6)Best Rock Song: Jaded and Yellow are plain OUT. Elevation and Walk on will cancel each other, which leaves Drops of Jupiter. A shoe in unless voters rally behind Walk On. Elevation will be the song that gets overlooked by Walk On due to its meaningful message.

My odds:

Train---------- 2-1
U2 (Elevation)- 15-1
Aerosmith------ 20-1
U2 (Walk On)--- 5-1
Coldplay------- 7-1

7)Best Rock Album: Everyone keeps saying that U2 are a "shoe-in" for this award, but I think differently. Ryan Adams is being compared to Springsteen and Dylan, and that is a good sign for winning this award. He's not nominated for anything else, so voters may recognize him in this category while giving U2 the big prize at the end of the night. Aerosmith is a joke, Harvey is great and all, but come on, and Linkin' Park is a longshot.

My odds:

Adams--------2-1
Aerosmith----15-1
Harvey-------30-1
Linkin' Park-25-1
U2-----------3-2

Back
Top Bottom