U2 for America!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think someone may have already touched on this but it seems like Europeans/rest of the world have longer collective memories that we Americans. In America even if you are a legendary artist you still have to fight for sales/respect/relevence with every album you put out because the scene is constantly changing. You have to prove yourself again and again.

BONO'ppetit said:
Hey wait a sec! Didn't U2 Go Home (at Slane Castle in Ireland) kick off their Elevation tour? :eyebrow:

No. The Slane show you're refering to was the 1st of September 2001. The tour kicked off in Miami sometime in March that year.

After the Slane shows they had a short break then went back to the States for a 3rd leg. (I think).

Last edited:
Well, seeing how they leave gaps between dates just incase and often fill them with extra shows, it seems they can't always tell pre-tour where they're going to have to add another leg. It seems like they try to end up in the UK but they end up having to add another show--obviously by popular demand. I think they like to 'save the best for last'--meaning HOME--but it doesn't always work out like that. Bono seemed so relaxed and seemed to enjoy himself so much at the U2 Go Home show. It even came across on dvd. I didn't feel that at the Seattle show--not nearly as strong as it came across there, anyway. I don't think you have anything to complain about. ;)

Last edited:
mtoreilly said:
It wasn't a complaint, I was just letting you know. I think this thread is a bit pointless personally. :wink:
Oops, I should've said 'nothing to worry about. I know what you're saying. ;)

US is where the money is. Having a successful first leg helps them financially with the second stadium leg. You have to combine most of the European nations to compete economically with the US. US has the press as well. Despite how much everyone knocks the US they still want to hear about it, they still want to know what is going on there. CNN, New York Times, Wall Street Journal... Whenever people compare album sales it always the rest of world v. the US. Thats how important the US market is, developing a craze in the US pays off exponentially.

I'm going to try to walk a very fine line with this post here it goes...

I personally think that U2 lately (ATYCLB->HTDAAB) have unreasonably favoured America. It's almost as though they are a slave to it, to a point. I think the under pinning reason as to why they are doing this is because of what happened in 1997.

When America totally burned them with Pop it seemed like it rolled off there back, they werent terribly phased. But as that Album/Tour cycle wore on and they got ditched in sales/awards/attendance I think the grew a tad pissed off. I think they became a tad narrow in there vision for the next album which is without a doubt the most obvious pop record they have written (which LMJ atests to himself). The irony being that the catch-cry for that album was that they were trying to reclaim the biggest band status and that they were out to triumph over popular music, with there own popular music. This paradox I never quite understood. Nevertheless its irrelevent.

The Elevation Tour (particularly the 3rd leg which is what it is remembered for) was heavily focused on America. Overly focused on America. The whole American Flags everywhere, shouting USA at every oppourtunity, New York, New York etc, etc. It should be remembered that not only was Boston released, but MSG was also recorded on the 3rd leg but deemed too scarred for release (this is prior too our incesent begging for Slane to be considered for release). U2's clear aim was to win back the hearts and mind of America. How this would achieve there over-arching goal of "re-applying to be the biggest band in the world" is beyond me.

After the conclusion of the third leg of Elevation they appeared to reject any notion of a second European leg or an Australian leg or a Bono Loves Africa Leg. The magical 3rd leg of America in there opinion (& to be honest the masses opinion) was that "U2 had won back America" (taken from the Boston doco). U2's aim to be the biggest in the World merely focused on winning back America.

True, I think Europe & ROW got delt pretty well back in the day. The best example of overall even handedness while touring would be ZooTV. America was done twice, Europe twice, ROW once. Thats a fairly good ration I think, even though ROW is treated as a massive afterthought - they do at least get the shows etc. JT-LoveTown as well was reasonably fair overall, America twice, ROW once, Europe Twice.

But as there age & Bono's voice limit them a bit they appear to have whittled down there touring schedule to the most important things. Which are 2 legs of America & 1 leg of Europe. If you compare there actions now to those of the past this is the ONLY conclusion you can reach.

Naturally I'm a tad miffed by this as I'm a ROW'er. But I can live without it. If U2 eventually do decide to come to Australia I will be absolutely thrilled. If they don't it's to be expected. They still make great music & are a great live band, its just a pity they don't share the love... as much as they used too.

timothius said:

The Elevation Tour (particularly the 3rd leg which is what it is remembered for) was heavily focused on America. Overly focused on America. The whole American Flags everywhere, shouting USA at every oppourtunity, New York, New York etc, etc. It should be remembered that not only was Boston released, but MSG was also recorded on the 3rd leg but deemed too scarred for release (this is prior too our incesent begging for Slane to be considered for release).

Could this have been because of 9/11?

Ah! Insight!
goodpost.gif

TheRooster said:

Yes of course. What I was pointing out was that U2 constructed a complete leg of a tour around USA in post-911 environment, yet did not even care to tour anywhere else. Not Europe again, not ROW. They did manage to comeback to America a few months later to play the Superbowl.

Again supporting America post-911 and acknowledging the rest of the world are not mutually exlusive ideas. However during Elevation it appears they were treated as such.

Back
Top Bottom