U2 FIND A CERTAIN EDGE! (new album article from NME)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camiloj

War Child
I cant believe this isnt posted HERE arlready(unless I cant find it buried beneath all the other stuff here)! A non U2 fan (or ex-U2 fan I should say) sent me the link!

From NME:
(http://www.nme.com/news/106376.htm)

U2 FIND A CERTAIN EDGE!

U2 have revealed details about their 'aggressive' follow-up to 2000's 'ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND', born out of guitarist THE EDGE's anger at BONO's involvement with world politics.

The singer also said that the new album is nearly completed and that the band will take the record out on tour in 2004.

Bono said: "It's filled with big tunes and it's driven by a guitar player who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians. The anger is unbelievable."

He added: "The Edge is the most gifted guitar player of his generation - that's obvious. He's driving it and he's going, 'This is enough. If I see one more photo of you with a dodgy politician I'm going to throw up.'"

The frontman also revealed the motivation for releasing another U2 album, saying: "We're nearly finished - we're in the home straight. There's only one reason for U2 to put an album out right now - it has to be a monster, a dragon, and this is."

"We're going to be touring again next year and I can't wait," he added. "It's a hard thing to explain but, next to being with my friends and family, the place I feel most comfortable in my life is on stage in front of 20,000 of my closest friends, or 150,000."

Speaking to The Sun, Bono also spoke about his involvement in world politics, and his admiration for Coldplay's Chris Martin. He said: "As regards shaking politicians' hands, shaking the tree or, in fact, climbing the tree and pulling the f**king apples off with my bare hands if I have to, that's also me.

"But it's me doing a job I shouldn't have to - I feel somebody else should. Chris Martin from Coldplay is very good at that," he said. "He's a fan of U2 but he's taken on the Fair Trade thing. He's an extraordinary singer and talent. I'm not handing on the baton but I'm giving him another one and he can run very fast and I believe in him."

Published: 07-10-2003-17-41

--------------------

woo hoo im so excited! I wont be back anytime soon but I was sooo WAY happy to read something RELEVANT on a noteworthy site about the NEW U2 album! Woo HOO!!!!!!

the moderators can move this to where ever this belongs its been too long since ive been here I know im doing something wrong...

Last edited:
The "we're nearly finished" quote is a little discomforting, but overall it's good news to hear. Yay for a tour!!!!!!!!!!

madonna's child said:
The "we're nearly finished" quote is a little discomforting, but overall it's good news to hear. Yay for a tour!!!!!!!!!!

I find it very comforting to know that they're nearing the end of recording. If you all remember the Pop fiasco (in fiasco I mean the numerous missed deadlines), U2 was in the studio up until nearly Thanksgiving of 1996, and the album was out by March of '97. No reason to think this isn't the case here either. I am confident that U2 will finish their album late October/early November and have it ready for a March 2, 2004 release. No guarantees but my best educated guess. Breathe easy...:yes:

The same big words and bulls*t from Bono to hype up an upcoming album. In the end, its just gonna be the usual tune of broken promises. Besides no album, and I mean NO album has ever lived up to Bono's hype anyway.

Cheers,

J

Well I don't know about what juck said

But I do think the album is further from being done than bono makes it out ot seem

This album seems to be nearly finished for like 6 months now. Bno has essentially been saying that in different ways for a while

And even when it is done an album can take a considerable amount of time to master.

I say sit back relax, grow your bootleg collection and wait for the cd.

I'll be very happy if I'm wrong, but for soem reason I have a feeling the cd is more like 8-10 months away rather than 6 months.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

I find it very comforting to know that they're nearing the end of recording. If you all remember the Pop fiasco (in fiasco I mean the numerous missed deadlines), U2 was in the studio up until nearly Thanksgiving of 1996, and the album was out by March of '97. No reason to think this isn't the case here either. I am confident that U2 will finish their album late October/early November and have it ready for a March 2, 2004 release. No guarantees but my best educated guess. Breathe easy...:yes:
Oh, is THAT how you interpreted Bono's quote? I read it as "we won't be making music for much longer, but we think we can release a good album right now." I much perfer your interpretation! :up:

jick said:
The same big words and bulls*t from Bono to hype up an upcoming album. In the end, its just gonna be the usual tune of broken promises. Besides no album, and I mean NO album has ever lived up to Bono's hype anyway.

Cheers,

J

=U2 fan? or infiltrator? :eyebrow:

Madonna's Child....yes, yes!! I think we're both right. I think U2 will be releasing fewer and fewer albums as they get a bit long in the tooth (that's a stupid expression), however I think this album and tour will be blow the fans away!! I think new U2 fans will find it the most agressive album of their fandom, and older U2 fans (like me) will find it the most fulfilling album U2 have released. I could be totally wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

jick said:
Oh, just be excited without reservations for once in your spiteful life.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

They're not even slated to be back in the studio til end of this month/early next so finishing it by then is a bit optimistic. I would hope it'd be done before the holidays though, otherwise it's gonna be an even longer wait than March.... :eyebrow:

It takes about 2 months to get an album into the stores once the band is finished in the studio completely. If the band finish the first week of January like they did with POP, the album will be out at the beginning of March. Based on what Paul McGuinness has said recently in addition to Universal, the album will be out between the begining of March and mid-April 2004. This sounds right. Remember the band has never taken longer than 3 years and 8 months to release a new studio album. July 2004 is the 3 year 8 month mark.

Back
Top Bottom