U2 finally wrote THE song: YAHWEH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a great lyric, and it 's an amazing prayer, only U2 could get away with doing a song like this, and they did a I kick arse job at it too.

Nope, it never will be a single, but it will be one of those treasured U2 songs that fans will always love, and it will be GREAT live.

I'm not one to join song-gushing threads much but I think Yahweh deserves all the accolades it has gotten so far. This is the song U2 has been trying to write all those years.

Cheers,

J

Yahweh is a fabulous song.......a natural closer for the album as well as the upcoming concerts......
one of my favourites from the HTDAAB.......

with sometimes... and Yahweh, Chris Thomas certainly left his mark on the bomb....

Hola amigos!
Soy nuevo por aqui
New here...

Agree 100% about Yahweh!
Its a brilliant song, is just so good!
Brought tears to my eyes a lot of times, especially at Christmas

" Tell me now, why the dark before the dawn oooooooo"
Masterful, fantastic, extraordinary!!
Just imagine at the end of the shows, the crowd singing along the oooooooooos
Im really hoping Yahweh is the show closer
They had spiritual connections recording that no doubt about it
You can feeeeeeeeeel Gods presence!!

Well take care!

Cheers from Lima
Bye!!

Yes, I think Yahweh is one of the most beautiful songs on the alblum and is one of my 4 super-faves off of it.
Tho for me I 'only' find the say full joy in the '...love is like a drop in the ocean...' along then with Edge's notes flying over & out into the Universe. But even just that part alone is transcendent.

The lyrics are also struggling with doubt at so much pain.

As was mentioned> hope/faith- i find in all the things/circumstances that are being named... take these...hands, lips, city etc

superb song...

I only 'disagree' with the use of the word 'break' at the end.
The philosophical question that came to my mind was ...'why does one 'always' have to have one's heart 'broken' in order to have one's celebration/caring about/wonderment at the world/people increase...

when I i sing it I replace the word with "take my heart and make it 'wake' " as in wake my heart up to higher levels of alertness/awareness of the above mentioned celebrasti0n, caring etc.

But yeah, I do, Do, DO hope they'll grace us with that one live!:yes:

oh, yes, when I first saw the title 'Yahweh" on the threads here..I thot to myself ...."Yahweh?....Yahweh?!!? I can't even imagine myself singing a song named ..."Yahweh"! {I am not an aetheist, just not a Christian anymore}

But I'm happy to sing such a beauty.

Last edited:
I just can't stand the double-tracking of the voice. It sounds like there are two Bono's singing at the same time. It's little things like that which make me dislike a song...

I also think it would have been nice as a stripped down sort of song, like '40'.

I like it anyway though...

Yahweh is amazing! I love the part on the alternate version when he sings

This love is like a drop in the ocean....
This love is like a drop in the ocean.....

gives me goosebumps.

i agree with the sentiiment on here, just an amazing son :drool:

Captures everything joyful and hopeful, and turns it into one song. Just beautiful, and the buildup to Edge's guitar --> chorus at the end of the song is :drool:

Can you say best album closer over? I guess it still has to hold up over the tour and over the years so time is the ultimate judge. But right now I think it is the best album closer ever.

Cheers,

J

Well, I like it. Definitely not y favorite though. I don't think it really gets great until the chorus.

OotS is alot more uplifting to me.

This may sound silly, but one of my favorite parts of the album is on this song. When, after the third chorus he sings "OOohhhOhhhOhhOhhh OOohhhOhhhOhhOhhh". I dunno, something about that really gets me LOL.

Last edited:
It is the unexpected gem for me. I was a bit nervous of a song with a name like "yahweh" but I have to say...only Bono could pull this off. Someday I expect this to be part of every forward-thinking church's hymnal.

And it does bring me to tears almost every time. But the kind of tears that come because your heart is full of joy and hope and sadness all at the same time. Transcendent.

To the person who said they don't like the word "break" at the end of the song, I feel that no other word would work there. Anyone who knows christian theology or most religions really, knows what that means. To have a "broken heart" does not mean it in the way we usually mean "broken heart". In Christian terms it means to have a broken will. It means to become submissive to the will of God. It means to overcome personal pride. It is nearly equal to and is a part of being "born again".

Without the proper understanding of the religious term "broken heart" that line of the song really makes very little sense.

Hoodlem said:
To the person who said they don't like the word "break" at the end of the song, I feel that no other word would work there. Anyone who knows christian theology or most religions really, knows what that means. To have a "broken heart" does not mean it in the way we usually mean "broken heart". In Christian terms it means to have a broken will. It means to become submissive to the will of God. It means to overcome personal pride. It is nearly equal to and is a part of being "born again".

Without the proper understanding of the religious term "broken heart" that line of the song really makes very little sense.

Thanks for that. It's the one line that confused me.

I'M THE ONE WHO ASKED

Hoodlem said:

I'm the one who asked. Thank you for the info......

:scratch: However, I was a Catholic/Christian for 16 yrs of my early life, had a fabulous teacher in college of World Religions[he was a Quaker], and have continued from time to time to read up on various theological thought over 20 yrs or so-- and I have never heard of 'broken heart' being defined as a metaphor for a 'broken will'/submission to God's will in Christian theology,or any other religion .

Çourse that doesn't mean it isn't true- just surprised in my readings/lectures i've never come across it

Again, of course I know that submission to God's will [or how ever you define Source/Ground of All Being etc] is a major tennent in most relgions. Even Buddhisim whish in some forms has no God [yet there are many depictions in some form of Budhism were gods & demon's are painted etc] has the person's ego submit to something bigger.

Re: I'M THE ONE WHO ASKED

dazzledbylight said:

I'm the one who asked. Thank you for the info......

:scratch: However, I was a Catholic/Christian for 16 yrs of my early life, had a fabulous teacher in college of World Religions[he was a Quaker], and have continued from time to time to read up on various theological thought over 20 yrs or so-- and I have never heard of 'broken heart' being defined as a metaphor for a 'broken will'/submission to God's will in Christian theology,or any other religion .

Çourse that doesn't mean it isn't true- just surprised in my readings/lectures i've never come across it

Again, of course I know that submission to God's will [or how ever you define Source/Ground of All Being etc] is a major tennent in most relgions. Even Buddhisim whish in some forms has no God [yet there are many depictions in some form of Budhism were gods & demon's are painted etc] has the person's ego submit to something bigger.

I never thought of that line as needing a specifically and uniquely Christian interpretation. For me, the line is a request to a higher power for catharsis: to take this heart, which has become insensitive, hardened and shut off because of the 'darkness before the dawn', i.e. repeated failure to transcend its loneliness, and make it innocent and vulnerable again, to shatter it of its numbness through some kind of emotional bloodletting. IMO the song is definitely religious, but need not be interpreted as arising from the viewpoint of any specific religion, which is what I feel is unique to U2, and what those of us who feel this song is special have picked up on.

great thread and so true. Yahweh is a a fantastic song, one of the best in a long time and is constantly battling with Miracle Drug to be considered as my personal favourite from The Bomb.

listening to it now... amzing. it's so heartful. has a great live potential. would be a great single.

Back
Top Bottom