U2 Fan No More... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2002, 11:37 PM   #1
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:06 PM
U2 Fan No More...

I was browsing through some old U2 sites I used to visit. When I tried to access one of them, all that was left is this message:

"This site is now permanently closed!

That was enough.
I was a U2 fan since The Joshua Tree (1987), I ran this site for threegood years, but now I'm sick of Bono and his disgusting appearance.

I'm proud what this site achieved for these three years, but I'm notproud of what I have supported all these years. So I decided to close this site, as I don't want to support hypocritical, political and money-making idiots. Never again.

U2 no more.

Thank you and good bye"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody else ever come across things like that on former fan sites? That is a shame to see.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 12:06 PM
WTF??? What site was that?

Old 06-13-2002, 11:48 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Re: U2 Fan No More...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I was browsing through some old U2 sites I used to visit. When I tried to access one of them, all that was left is this message:

"This site is now permanently closed!

That was enough.
I was a U2 fan since The Joshua Tree (1987), I ran this site for threegood years, but now I'm sick of Bono and his disgusting appearance.

I'm proud what this site achieved for these three years, but I'm notproud of what I have supported all these years. So I decided to close this site, as I don't want to support hypocritical, political and money-making idiots. Never again.

U2 no more.

Thank you and good bye"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody else ever come across things like that on former fan sites? That is a shame to see.

Damn! That's a duckfit! A whole slew of people have stopped being U2 fans over the past 20+ years, but I don't recall any of them being that public about it. I've never seen anything like it. A person's got a right to their opinion but I'd personally rather not run across this sort of thing in a web site. It reminds me of the person who started an anti- Michelle Kwan Yahoo mailing list! (I am a big figure skating fan) It's the Internet and weird things happen here. There are some things you don't have to be super-public about, however. That Yahoo list was definitely one, and this site thing is another. Just my personal preference, I know some will disagree. That's fine. But how sad, actually......
Old 06-13-2002, 11:51 PM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Freedman
WTF??? What site was that?
Edge's U2 Page

Old 06-14-2002, 12:07 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:06 AM

Eh, they probably got burned on some Elevation tix.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:16 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:06 AM
I've never saw the site when it existed, but based on that very brief message, I am glad to see it go.

First problem - the author became a fan during the JT era. I realize that everyone has to have some starting point for becoming a fan, but I always cringe when I hear people say that they first heard of U2 with JT. It screams of "fair weather" fan, or "pop culture" fan or "romanticized" fan. I am not saying this is a unanimous trait - I am sure there are many people here who began their U2 fanaticism during the JT era. It's just from my experience, those who started loving U2 then have long since stopped. I am surprised that this "fan" lasted as long as he/she did.

Second problem - with ATYCLB, U2 came the closest they have in years to approaching the attitude and sound of JT, yet this fan STILL isn't happy. This is another common trait amongst people who became fans during the JT era, IMO. After the spectacles of ZOO TV and POPMart, the Elevation Tour was the closest U2 has been to their audience in over a decade. And, unlike during the JT era, U2 just seemed more approachable now. Once more we had Bono putting his "heart on his sleeve" but this time, he wasn't some preacher scolding us - he was like a friend, comforting us. Yet despite all of this, the fan only sees the members of U2 as hypocrites. How ironic - for it is clearly this fan who is the hypocrite. He/she had apparently held U2 in such high esteem before, that they overlooked many of the marketing efforts, the political efforts, the preaching that went on before. One possible downfall of U2 becoming more approachable is that all of U2's preaching, politics and marketing became more open. U2 didn't change their views - their efforts just became more obvious. Yet now this fan feels U2 are being bogus. Well, good riddance! I prefer intelligent U2 fans, not one who idolized U2 and now is all upset that his/her dream band isn't "perfect."

Third problem - if I never even heard of this site, chances are it wasn't very good. I try to visit most U2 sites and to not have even heard of this one must mean it wasn't worth visiting. Buh bye.

No loss as far as I'm concerned. The world is better off without this site or this person as a U2 fan.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:28 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Well said, Dr. Who. No need to let fools rain on our parade. I never heard of this site, either, and I've hit a gazillion U2 sites over the past few years. If he/she is so hyperspazzed over Bono's *appearance* for goodness sakes, to heck with them! This is unbelievable! Fed up with politicking? How cynical. Bono's out there trying to save lives and doesn't deserve this kind of scorn. Money-making? Of course. All successful rock groups with good business sense make money. So what?
Good riddance, indeed I don't want idiots like this in our midst. .
Old 06-14-2002, 12:31 AM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:06 AM

Well -

I liked the big lemon.

Thank you & Goodnight.

- The Zoocifer -
Old 06-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 03:06 AM
I came into U2 through a TV commercial.I've been trying to give up this drug, for sometime now....I think I should contact this person and maybe he can accomodate me into his rehab center.

What the hell on earth I have to do to not like U2.HELP!

Long live Henry Rollins
Old 06-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 03:06 AM
After searching the corners of the web, I finally found that site and this is the page

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...45/u2page.html

I hope you dont enjoy

Old 06-14-2002, 05:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I remember running across that site eons ago. I'm pretty sure it was that way before ATYCLB ever hit the screen. In which case the "fan" was probably one of those people who thought the sky was falling when Popmart happened. I dunno. More U2 for me, I say.

Old 06-14-2002, 05:56 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:06 AM

I agree w/Dr Who.
Anyone that is A JTbaby or came to like U2 thereafter is a -
damn
in
my
book sorta

Thank you
good-by,
diamond

jackass kids
Old 06-14-2002, 06:05 PM   #13
The Fly

I came across this site about a year ago and it sord off made me sad at first but then I thought -WHO CARES!
For every U2 80`s fan who stop being one there are 10 new once who like them for what they are now and always been.
We all have our opinions and like and disslikes. I don`t like some of the things they do ,some songs or the SUPERBALL thing, but I still like them. He chose not to, so like sulawesigirl4 said :more u2 for us!
Old 06-14-2002, 06:20 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I agree w/Dr Who.
damn
in
my
book sorta

Thank you
good-by,
diamond

jackass kids

I wouldn't quite say this. There are some really cool fans who were born in the late '70's and early '80's or so and became fans later for obvious reasons. And trust me, these people are *great* fans. I've been a fan since 1983 myself but, good heavens, this band has two generations of fans! How many bands can say that? Not many! The ones who can have broken up, too, for the most part. I do agree about these half-baked JT fans. I say to heck with them, they can get lost. They just jumped on a bandwagon and then got right off. If this person wants to make an a** out of himself/herself in public it's not my problem.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:46 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have run into people on various message boards I post on (not this one fortunately) who claim U2 hasn't released anything worthwhile since the '80s ended. I'm not a violent person, but whenever I read those posts I find myself developing homicidal tendencies. Is it possible they have never listened to Achtung Baby or are they just complete idiots? I admit, I'm one of those who didn't get into U2 until the release of The Joshua Tree, but I also love their pre-JT stuff as well as their post-JT work. It did take me a while to appreciate Zooropa and Pop, but I have never, ever doubted the band's integrity, either musically or as people.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:49 PM   #16
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Whew...what a relief! I took one look at the title of this thread and thought Bonochick was leaving us

As for this "former fan"...whatever, people are entitled to their opinions. Fair weather fans, whatever you want to call them, we don't need them or their lousy websites! Buh bye!

But I'm glad it wasn't you Katherine!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:51 PM   #17
Banned

Location: the innovative mind of Z-EDGE since april 2002, as advertised in april 2002
Dr.Who that was a great post. THats all I can think to say is what you have said.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #18
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
Whew...what a relief! I took one look at the title of this thread and thought Bonochick was leaving us

As for this "former fan"...whatever, people are entitled to their opinions. Fair weather fans, whatever you want to call them, we don't need them or their lousy websites! Buh bye!

Never!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2002, 10:39 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I agree w/Dr Who.
damn
in
my
book sorta

Thank you
good-by,
diamond

jackass kids
Hey now, Bravo...just remember that a few supermodels around here got their U2 education on that fine album.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:45 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

funny, i thought the same thing!