U2 Fan No More...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I was browsing through some old U2 sites I used to visit. When I tried to access one of them, all that was left is this message:

"This site is now permanently closed!

That was enough.
I was a U2 fan since The Joshua Tree (1987), I ran this site for threegood years, but now I'm sick of Bono and his disgusting appearance.

I'm proud what this site achieved for these three years, but I'm notproud of what I have supported all these years. So I decided to close this site, as I don't want to support hypocritical, political and money-making idiots. Never again.

U2 no more.

Thank you and good bye"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody else ever come across things like that on former fan sites? That is a shame to see. :(

Bonochick said:
I was browsing through some old U2 sites I used to visit. When I tried to access one of them, all that was left is this message:

"This site is now permanently closed!

That was enough.
I was a U2 fan since The Joshua Tree (1987), I ran this site for threegood years, but now I'm sick of Bono and his disgusting appearance.

I'm proud what this site achieved for these three years, but I'm notproud of what I have supported all these years. So I decided to close this site, as I don't want to support hypocritical, political and money-making idiots. Never again.

U2 no more.

Thank you and good bye"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody else ever come across things like that on former fan sites? That is a shame to see. :(

Damn! That's a duckfit! A whole slew of people have stopped being U2 fans over the past 20+ years, but I don't recall any of them being that public about it. I've never seen anything like it. A person's got a right to their opinion but I'd personally rather not run across this sort of thing in a web site. It reminds me of the person who started an anti- Michelle Kwan Yahoo mailing list! (I am a big figure skating fan) It's the Internet and weird things happen here. There are some things you don't have to be super-public about, however. That Yahoo list was definitely one, and this site thing is another. Just my personal preference, I know some will disagree. That's fine. But how sad, actually......

I've never saw the site when it existed, but based on that very brief message, I am glad to see it go.

First problem - the author became a fan during the JT era. I realize that everyone has to have some starting point for becoming a fan, but I always cringe when I hear people say that they first heard of U2 with JT. It screams of "fair weather" fan, or "pop culture" fan or "romanticized" fan. I am not saying this is a unanimous trait - I am sure there are many people here who began their U2 fanaticism during the JT era. It's just from my experience, those who started loving U2 then have long since stopped. I am surprised that this "fan" lasted as long as he/she did.

Second problem - with ATYCLB, U2 came the closest they have in years to approaching the attitude and sound of JT, yet this fan STILL isn't happy. This is another common trait amongst people who became fans during the JT era, IMO. After the spectacles of ZOO TV and POPMart, the Elevation Tour was the closest U2 has been to their audience in over a decade. And, unlike during the JT era, U2 just seemed more approachable now. Once more we had Bono putting his "heart on his sleeve" but this time, he wasn't some preacher scolding us - he was like a friend, comforting us. Yet despite all of this, the fan only sees the members of U2 as hypocrites. How ironic - for it is clearly this fan who is the hypocrite. He/she had apparently held U2 in such high esteem before, that they overlooked many of the marketing efforts, the political efforts, the preaching that went on before. One possible downfall of U2 becoming more approachable is that all of U2's preaching, politics and marketing became more open. U2 didn't change their views - their efforts just became more obvious. Yet now this fan feels U2 are being bogus. Well, good riddance! I prefer intelligent U2 fans, not one who idolized U2 and now is all upset that his/her dream band isn't "perfect."

Third problem - if I never even heard of this site, chances are it wasn't very good. ;) I try to visit most U2 sites and to not have even heard of this one must mean it wasn't worth visiting. Buh bye.

No loss as far as I'm concerned. The world is better off without this site or this person as a U2 fan.

Well said, Dr. Who. No need to let fools rain on our parade. I never heard of this site, either, and I've hit a gazillion U2 sites over the past few years. If he/she is so hyperspazzed over Bono's *appearance* for goodness sakes, to heck with them! This is unbelievable! Fed up with politicking? How cynical. Bono's out there trying to save lives and doesn't deserve this kind of scorn. Money-making? Of course. All successful rock groups with good business sense make money. So what?
Good riddance, indeed I don't want idiots like this in our midst. .:no: :no: :no:

I came into U2 through a TV commercial.I've been trying to give up this drug, for sometime now....I think I should contact this person and maybe he can accomodate me into his rehab center.

What the hell on earth I have to do to not like U2.HELP!

Long live Henry Rollins:laugh:

I remember running across that site eons ago. I'm pretty sure it was that way before ATYCLB ever hit the screen. In which case the "fan" was probably one of those people who thought the sky was falling when Popmart happened. I dunno. More U2 for me, I say. :tsk:

I agree w/Dr Who.
Anyone that is A JTbaby or came to like U2 thereafter is a -
damn
in
my
book:mad: :mac: :adam: :yes: :tongue: ;)sorta

Thank you
good-by,
diamond

jackass kids:cool:;)

Last edited:
I came across this site about a year ago and it sord off made me sad at first but then I thought -WHO CARES!
For every U2 80`s fan who stop being one there are 10 new once who like them for what they are now and always been.
We all have our opinions and like and disslikes. I don`t like some of the things they do ,some songs or the SUPERBALL thing, but I still like them. He chose not to, so like sulawesigirl4 said :more u2 for us!

Last edited:
diamond said:
I agree w/Dr Who.
Anyone that is A JTbaby or came to like U2 thereafter is a -
damn
in
my
book:mad: :mac: :adam: :yes: :tongue: ;)sorta

Thank you
good-by,
diamond

jackass kids:cool:;)

I wouldn't quite say this. There are some really cool fans who were born in the late '70's and early '80's or so and became fans later for obvious reasons. And trust me, these people are *great* fans. I've been a fan since 1983 myself but, good heavens, this band has two generations of fans! How many bands can say that? Not many! The ones who can have broken up, too, for the most part. I do agree about these half-baked JT fans. I say to heck with them, they can get lost. They just jumped on a bandwagon and then got right off. If this person wants to make an a** out of himself/herself in public it's not my problem.

I have run into people on various message boards I post on (not this one fortunately) who claim U2 hasn't released anything worthwhile since the '80s ended. I'm not a violent person, but whenever I read those posts I find myself developing homicidal tendencies. Is it possible they have never listened to Achtung Baby or are they just complete idiots? I admit, I'm one of those who didn't get into U2 until the release of The Joshua Tree, but I also love their pre-JT stuff as well as their post-JT work. It did take me a while to appreciate Zooropa and Pop, but I have never, ever doubted the band's integrity, either musically or as people.

Whew...what a relief! I took one look at the title of this thread and thought Bonochick was leaving us :(

As for this "former fan"...whatever, people are entitled to their opinions. Fair weather fans, whatever you want to call them, we don't need them or their lousy websites! Buh bye!

But I'm glad it wasn't you Katherine! :sexywink:

Bono's American Wife said:
Whew...what a relief! I took one look at the title of this thread and thought Bonochick was leaving us :(

As for this "former fan"...whatever, people are entitled to their opinions. Fair weather fans, whatever you want to call them, we don't need them or their lousy websites! Buh bye!

Never!!!!!!! :D

Bono's American Wife said:

funny, i thought the same thing!

amybatt said:

Or they were just born in 1975 or later, which just makes them guilty of being young for god's sake.

I got to my first Elevation show courtesy of someone who got into U2 with JT--my car was in the shop. This guy helped a heck of alot of people get to their shows last year. I'd say the guy's a pretty good fan........:lol: :lol:

sulawesigirl4 said:
I remember running across that site eons ago. I'm pretty sure it was that way before ATYCLB ever hit the screen. In which case the "fan" was probably one of those people who thought the sky was falling when Popmart happened.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I can't image a U2 fan doing this during the ATYCLB/Elevation era when the band was the biggest in the world, very popular and 'taking flight.' Even if they were a 'bandwagon fan' that popularity would surely have caused him/her to jump back on! I really shouldn't say this, please dont' flame me, but the part about the 'disgusting appearance' could very well have been the Pop look. It was very unpopular with many fans, and remember this person was a big JT fan, and the band was totally different in every way during Pop than what they had fallen in love with. I am not making excuses for this person at all. Even though I was not a fan of Pop, I just ignored and avoided all things to do with it, I didn't do things like that. If this person did 'jump back on the bandwagon' with Elevation, I'm sure they would be far too ashamed to come back and retract this statement and start the site back up, at least under that name.

Last edited:
Well, heck, I wasn't all that crazy about Bono's look during PopMart, either, even though I like the album. It's crazy to put that much emphasis on "appearance". Also, I know alot of sincere U2 fans didn't like Pop and this doesn't bother me. When a band has the versatility that U2 does--and it's phenomenal--there's a chance very dedicated fans aren't going to be too keen on at least one of the albums. They just think they are capable of doing better or whatever--a perfectly valid opinion. The thing that bugs me about this "site" thing is that he/she strikes me as a "loudmouth". I just don't like seeing this kind of thing.

verte76 said:

I wouldn't quite say this. There are some really cool fans who were born in the late '70's and early '80's or so and became fans later for obvious reasons. And trust me, these people are *great* fans. I've been a fan since 1983 myself but, good heavens, this band has two generations of fans! How many bands can say that? Not many! The ones who can have broken up, too, for the most part. I do agree about these half-baked JT fans. I say to heck with them, they can get lost. They just jumped on a bandwagon and then got right off. If this person wants to make an a** out of himself/herself in public it's not my problem.

Yeah! I was born in 1981...:( It's not my fault! I'm not any stinkin' newbie!

I agree about the fair-weather JT fans too...I know that not everyone who became a fan with JT turned out to be a fair-weather one, but I have come across some...And sadly, I think their attitude has given me a cynical attitude about JT...Which is a shame, because I was just listening to it today, belting out the words right along with Bono! Some GREAT tracks there...Ah, guess I'd better just forget about those people and move on!

I periodically comb the web for U2 sites out there... looking to see what others are doing... looking for talented people to help with interference.. etc....

I not only have seen that specific site, but a few others like it... most of which popped up around or after the release of ATYCLB and the sale of Elevation tix (via prop).

It is sad to see people become so hateful... BUT.. you win some, you lose some. big deal. You can't please everyone...

I know people, as I'm sure some of you have, that went to shows with NO tix... and still found a way to get in (w/ or w/out a ticket).

One bit of self-commentary...
It IS possible for a webmaster to burn out on U2 (or anything else)... trust me, I know. Been there several times, but damnit something keeps me in the family. Don Edge and Don Bono, I spose ;) (Adam is the quiet guy in the back of the room... and Larry... well.. Larry just gives me the dirty looks).

As Bono said WAY back when..
"it's Rock n' Roll... that's all folks"

It's the *hate* that bothers me. I don't care that there are former fans out there. I just wish they wouldn't hang their dirty laundry the way this person did. It's just plain nasty, and I don't like it one bit.:no: :no:

Sorry Dr Who but I would have to completely disagree with your opinion of those that came on board with the Joshua Tree. I think that is painting an awfully wide brush and stereotyping a large group of U2's fan base. This speaking as someone who became a U2 fantatic and saw their first U2 show on the Joshua Tree tour. Sure, alot of the fans were tag alongs then. But there were alot of tag alongs for Achtung Baby that dropped off when POP hit. To sit there and say it makes you cringe (or whatever) when you here someone came on board with the JT era makes you sound like kind of an elitist holier than thou type. The kind of fan that when I see them in the GA line and they think they know all because they came on during the War tour or the Unf. Fire album. How does that make you more of a fan? It doesnt, and it pains me to see you get people to blindly agree with your rhetoric.

Basically, you could say the same thing about those that came on board during the Achtung Baby craze. Their popularity was just as great then and it was their 2nd biggest album. So are those than came on board then wannabe's also? What is the magical time frame where you are considered the "TRUE" U2 fan. The Boy era? Well then 95% are wannabes on here.

You could argue that U2 has lost the same amount of fans at different phases of their career. Alot of people really like the War era and were completely turned off by the Unforgettable Fire. To single out one era and say they are wannabes is just ridiculous.

verte76 said:
It's the *hate* that bothers me. I don't care that there are former fans out there. I just wish they wouldn't hang their dirty laundry the way this person did. It's just plain nasty, and I don't like it one bit.:no: :no:

I agree with ya on this...
to be quite honest, when I've been on the edge (no pun intended) of burning out on U2, and running this site, it was usally a result of 'knowing toooo much'. I'm not bragging, trust me.. I'm not... it's just that after running a site like Interference so long, I've come to have various contacts, word travels to me about all sorts of things that the general fan population NEVER hears about. On these issues, boy oh boy would they make great news/rumours bits... but I don't run a tabloid. I use my good judgement (most of the time), and pick and choose what is beneficial for the fans, AND the band. BUT... I do this because I'm still a fan, and I don't think I could ever walk away from U2 forever.

Now, I must confess... there was a time, more than a year ago now, that I was in one of my burnout phases, as was another U2 webmaster that I was friends with at the time (Doug Martin of Zoonation.com). At the time. we decided to channel our negative energy, or rather - our disillusion, to a parody site... http://U2WDD.org . Since I'm not one to air the dirty laundry... why I was disillusioned will have to stay mystery for the time being. The site, never really completed (probably a positive sign ;) ), was mocking U2.com(a), the band, and the fans - including ourselves. The site has a slightly underground/evil look... almost militaritistic in my opinion.. and it was intended to be such... I don't think I've ever publicly commented on what U2WDD actually means..
"Larry, drumroll please!"
U2WDD = U2 World Domination Division

*runs and hides.

Several things inspired the name... but even then, we kept the meaning of the initials a mystery, as to not air the dirty laundry.

I spose I should have posted this in Zoo Confessionals at some point, but it fits here...

Hope I made some sense.

I question anyone that was a dedicated fan enough to make a website about U2, and then be so scorned that they not only stop liking them, but put up such a message on their site. Kinda silly if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom