U2: Educate My Mind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
As I sat at school today, trying to figure out even more ways to incorporate U2 into my PowerPoint presentation, I thought back on some of the ways I brought U2 into my assignments.

1. My freshman year of high school, we had to do a pantomime instead of a speech in our English class. We had to act out something for at least 3 minutes and not speaking the entire time. I reenacted Bono's performance of "Mysterious Ways" from the Zoo TV Sydney video. I dressed up as The Fly, and I utilized the classroom as my stage by jumping on desks and such.

2. In that same English class, we were required to write our own obituary (how morbid is that?). I also included how I died: Bono was trying to pull me up on stage, but he lost his grip on my hand, and I fell and cracked my head open (don't worry...it wasn't open casket...
wink.gif
).

3. For my Greek mythology paper, I did mine on Hercules. For the presentation, my friends and I created a video where I recreated his labors to be more modern. I used U2 music in the background for some of the labors, when I could tie it in.

4. We had to do a fake newspaper article, including a picture. I wrote "Beautiful Blond Bombshell to Wed Buff Babe Bono" (okay, "beautiful" may have been a stretch...
wink.gif
). With the article, I drew a picture of me wearing my 4 million dollar engagement ring.
biggrin.gif

5. We had to write lyrics for a blues song. Being blue that Bono was married, and I would never have a chance with him even if he WAS single, I wrote "The Bono Blues". Bonus points if we sang it for the class, so I did...
biggrin.gif

Well, enough about mine...how about the rest of you???
smile.gif

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight..."

Nope, I wrote 5 pages about cucumbers which contains the letter U twice (pun intended although it ain't a funny one - screw it it's late...). Don't your teachers see a pattern yet? Damn bad spelling, again screw it I'm of to bed.

Sweet dreams

I wrote a paper on U2 in college. It was a postmodern class dealing with media and all that shit. I thought it was going to be a good class but didn't really enjoy it that much.

I creatively titled the paper, "U2- The PostModern band". Pop wasn't out yet, so it was a commentary on ZooTV and the Joshua tree era. Something like U2 sawing their image (or was it the Joshua Tree) with the opening cords of Zoo Station. Went on from there....wish I still had the paper. I think its on an old computer. ARGH..

CK

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

Cool stories Bonochick, I think you really can say that U2 have been educating your mind, LOL

Well, although I?m not on high school, neither college anymore (too old for all these stuff
smile.gif
) I?m an english student myself, and I have been used my U2 fandom to help me when I have tasks to do in english.

I can remember 2 opportunities when I used something related to U2.
One was an infamous mistery story I wrote, inspired by the song Walk to the Water (and I had courage to share that masterpiece with the nice people here, LOL). I got a good grade, fortunately.

Another task was the oral presentation I had to provide when I finished the Intermediate Level of my course. We were supposed to talk, for 15 minutes at least, about something we really knew, you know, in details. I couldn?t think of anything else but U2
wink.gif

So I went to my class wearing one of U2 t- shirts, and I prepared a presentation with the whole history of the band, their discography (with pictures of the albuns sleeves) and some info about Bono and his causes, like Jubilee 2000.
I wouldn?t dare say everybody loved it, LOL. But I managed to answer all the questions they asked me and I got another good grade.
smile.gif

Last year, in my english class (english being my second language), we had to do an
oral production about any country's revolution.

I immediatly chose Ireland
wink.gif

I talked about the Easter rising and everything that happenned during those years.

Then, I said: What about now? How is it going in Ireland?

I shut the lights and I pushed play on the stereo. Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I began talking about the IRA and the 'horrible' situation in Ireland.

My teacher really loved it and thought I chose an excellent song to represent how bad it is over there.

I got a perfect mark! That was fun!

Here's another one I thought of...

While we were studying apartheid in my geography class, I got my teacher to let us listen to "Silver and Gold" while we took our test.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I Don't Know You, But You Don't Know The Half Of It..."

Well, I haven't done as much as Bonochick.. but then I still have more high school left!
tongue.gif

Last year I did Walk to the Water as my monologue for the drama final exam.

This year I'm doing this

And at this very moment I'm writing a review of the Hamilton show for our school newspaper.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 10-15-2001).]

This is pretty minor but ... Last semester in my Theories of Representation class i wrote a research paper and gave it a U2-esque title even though my topic had nothing to do with U2. It was about visual perception and the work of Chuck Close (an American painter) so i titled it "Representing Vision: Faraway, Up Close."

------------------
Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. (Steve Martin)

Love this thread idea!

Well let's see if I can remember it all:

In Theology class our group had to come up with our own prayer service. I made sure to incorporate Psalms 40 in there followed by U2's "40"

In Chemistry there was a thing called "mole day" where you had to create a stuffed mole. Odd I know but it is in remembrance of the number amount. Anyway I made my mole and called him Larry "Mole'n Jr. He had a Larry face with drumkit and everything.

In Art class we had to paint a portrait so I painted Bono.

In Art class we had to draw a portrait so I drew Edge.

In Art class we are having to make a doll of some sort out of oven-baked clay so I am currently working on a Bono doll which I may bring to the show for kicks if I finish it up on time.

In English class we had to interpret a song of our choice so I chose Mysterious Ways and we listened to it in class.

And finally in English class we had to set an original story to music so I put 'October' on loop.

U2 sure has given me an education
biggrin.gif

d'oh! how could i forget this!? ...

Last year in my color photo class we had an assignment to take a series of photos and show them as a slide presentation accompanied by a song or a piece of music. It was Autumn (in Massachusetts) so i took a bunch of pictures outside around sundown and then showed them to my class with "October" playing in the background. It was pretty
smile.gif

I wrote an English paper that described how images from Dante's Inferno showed up in the lyrics on Achtung Baby. Got an A.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Well I just wrote a paper for my intro the popular music class called--U2: Chopping Down the Joshua Tree. It discussed the transition b/w JT and AB, plus I had to do an album review on AB.

I also just wrote a paper for my early british lit class where I quoted the lyrics from The Wanderer.

smile.gif

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

Bonochick, those are hilarious! I have to admit all I really did was refer to U2 in a few English essays and I also referred to them once or twice in presentations at university. Nothing too exciting. I'm always kinda careful about stuff like that.

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Well I just wrote a paper for my intro the popular music class called--U2: Chopping Down the Joshua Tree.

Did you plagerize off of me? I wrote about the same topic and even used the imagery of U2 chopping down the Joshua Tree. The opening chords of Zoo Station were my power saw. I wrote the paper back in fall of 1997. Jesus, that is getting to be a long time ago.

CK

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 NJ1 GA's for 2 NY1 GCs or 2 NY1 $85!! Email or IM me. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 10-16-2001).]

in '87 when i was assistant editor of my h.s. paper i wrote a review of JT.... then, in medical school and residency i went to both zootv and popmart got drunk off my ass and then claimed to be sick, missing the next day of class/work... and now, i will be attending a continuing medical education course, so the trip will be paid for by my practice, while in vegas to see u2... does any of that count?

------------------
It costs a fortune to look this trashy.

I guess great minds do think alike.

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

least i forget, my freind and i skipped calculus almost entirely (except for the tests) and saw RH 18 times in the movie theater while a freshman in college... for most of the weekday matinee shows we were the only people in the theater... towards the end of the run, we would recite the movie out loud in the theater... as for calculus, i still managed to get a "B" which i thought was a reasonable trade-off

------------------
It costs a fortune to look this trashy.

This is a cool thread..

anyone else got any connections to report?

I am the MASTER of Schoolin U2. Ask anyone on PLEBA. I've bugged them a million times.

1. AP English paper and presentation on postmodern poetry in the media: I used 'tha playboy mansion'

2. Church History presentation on social justice: Used "One" and stuff about drop the debt. heh

3. English project on the Color Purple: tied together old songs with newer ones (complicated) but the point is I used "When Love Comes to Town" somewhere in the midst of it

4. AP English project on a poet: I begged and pleaded to be Bono for a day, but I had to be Jack Kerouac instead.

biggrin.gif

and for one of my college application essays I get to write about someone with integrity and I'm doin Bono

------------------
~*Mona*~ the Shamrock n' rolla
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow." -U2-

we also played the "what's going on" video for our social justice thing

and a few days after sept 11 during lunch we had a moment of silence where we listened to
"Peace on Earth"
smile.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ the Shamrock n' rolla
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow." -U2-

Yesterday, I had to give my presentation on Multimedia (we didn't get to pick our topics) in my PowerPoint class. My theme was "Multimedia: It Will 'Elevate' Your Mind!" I started with a video clip of a rocket being launched and had "Elevation" playing in the background of the presentation.

I also had to give another PowerPoint presentation for my advertising class. My group had been assigned to research advertising on TV. I used "Zooropa" as our background music.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

We had to do poetry analysis in grade 12 English. I chose "Still Haven't FOund What I'm Looking For" and illustrated it, analyzed, etc...

In OAC (grade 13) English I had to do a project on good vs evil in King Lear. I needed a photo of the devil. So, my PowerPoint Presentation began with a photo of U2 (Larry, Edge, Adam) and then Bono as the devil flying up in between them...it was pretty cool
smile.gif

Not to mention the thousand U2 quotes I try so desperately to weave into essays: my last one was "And it's true we are immune/When fact is fiction and TV reality" for my English Media project (discussing society's dependence on media).

LOL @ Larry Mole'n Jr! We had a pig named Hamlet in our bio class...
wink.gif

lol @ crazy4bono skippin class!
smile.gif

OK here are mine, that I can remember. I tried not to be a Repeat U2-User in the same class. (its ok if my friends thought i was bonkers but my profs was a different thing entirely!)

1. Speech class last year we had to write an introduction to someone and deliver the speech. I chose Bono.

2. Creative Writing: we had to write a poem following these 26 rules or something and I wrote about dancing w/ Bono and being at a show, although the rules were weird so it's hard to follow the theme.

2a. just thought of this one- wrote a short story "inspired" by Stay- the first lines "green light, seven eleven...don't smoke don't even want to".

3. Media Analysis: Great prof and I shared with him the ZooTV video, especially the intro which he was very interested in and EBTTRT w/ the images. He said he was going to show it in class but never got a chance
tongue.gif
he did keep the vid for a while though

4. I had an awesome philosophy professor and at the end of our very long exams I'd put a U2 quote which always related (i.e. "Everything you know is wrong")

5. I actually was a CS major and in some early, simple computer programs I would name each variable after a band member. <geek>

6. Wrote a review senior year in college of ATYCLB for the newspaper.

7. This I didn't do- but my sister did: examined the images on the AB cover and wrote about it for an English assignment about analyzing a package.

8. Well I still do- Mofo and the Moon analysis w/ my cohert VelvetDress!

9. OH yeah and I wrote a story using all the titles of U2 songs. It's not really a story, but it does TELL a story, I just wrote it during some random sloww class last semester
------------------
Girl comes up to me says Hey Bono,
I want to play with your band, Sweet Jane...

* U2TakeMeHigher *

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 10-25-2001).]

A few years ago I wrote a short story called A Sort of Homecoming. It wasn't about U2 at all, though. It was based on my impression of Amsterdam when I arrived there at 5 AM one morning (not a very good one...) I thought it was an ok story but I never did anything with it. It wasn't for school or anything.

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

Looks like something else developed today! I was surprised!

Well first of all I finished making the Bono doll in Art class, and this doll has been on display in the library. So my World History teacher sees this and asks me about U2 and he told me that he loves the band but his ex-wife never did so he could never play them around his house. He was telling me he'd love to see them eventually. I told him I was going to see them in Texas on November 5th. I then told him I had seen them 3 times before on this tour and got on stage with Bono. He was blown away and asked if I could one day give a speech about it infront of the class-LOL! Now I have no idea what this really has to do with World History, but he was dead serious. I guess I better start with the script...
biggrin.gif

Another one:

My junior year of high school, we were required to recite a poem or song in front of the class. Anything over 100 lines long would give us extra credit.

I couldn't pick one song...

So I recited "The Joshua Tree".
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Back
Top Bottom