U2: Educate My Mind! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2001, 08:25 PM   #1
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:35 AM
U2: Educate My Mind!

As I sat at school today, trying to figure out even more ways to incorporate U2 into my PowerPoint presentation, I thought back on some of the ways I brought U2 into my assignments.

1. My freshman year of high school, we had to do a pantomime instead of a speech in our English class. We had to act out something for at least 3 minutes and not speaking the entire time. I reenacted Bono's performance of "Mysterious Ways" from the Zoo TV Sydney video. I dressed up as The Fly, and I utilized the classroom as my stage by jumping on desks and such.

2. In that same English class, we were required to write our own obituary (how morbid is that?). I also included how I died: Bono was trying to pull me up on stage, but he lost his grip on my hand, and I fell and cracked my head open (don't worry...it wasn't open casket... ).

3. For my Greek mythology paper, I did mine on Hercules. For the presentation, my friends and I created a video where I recreated his labors to be more modern. I used U2 music in the background for some of the labors, when I could tie it in.

4. We had to do a fake newspaper article, including a picture. I wrote "Beautiful Blond Bombshell to Wed Buff Babe Bono" (okay, "beautiful" may have been a stretch... ). With the article, I drew a picture of me wearing my 4 million dollar engagement ring.

5. We had to write lyrics for a blues song. Being blue that Bono was married, and I would never have a chance with him even if he WAS single, I wrote "The Bono Blues". Bonus points if we sang it for the class, so I did...

Well, enough about mine...how about the rest of you???

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight..."

Old 10-14-2001, 09:04 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Nope, I wrote 5 pages about cucumbers which contains the letter U twice (pun intended although it ain't a funny one - screw it it's late...). Don't your teachers see a pattern yet? Damn bad spelling, again screw it I'm of to bed.

Sweet dreams

Old 10-14-2001, 09:13 PM   #3
Banned

Local Time: 03:35 PM
I wrote a paper on U2 in college. It was a postmodern class dealing with media and all that shit. I thought it was going to be a good class but didn't really enjoy it that much.

I creatively titled the paper, "U2- The PostModern band". Pop wasn't out yet, so it was a commentary on ZooTV and the Joshua tree era. Something like U2 sawing their image (or was it the Joshua Tree) with the opening cords of Zoo Station. Went on from there....wish I still had the paper. I think its on an old computer. ARGH..

CK

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77
Old 10-14-2001, 09:16 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Cool stories Bonochick, I think you really can say that U2 have been educating your mind, LOL

Well, although Im not on high school, neither college anymore (too old for all these stuff ) Im an english student myself, and I have been used my U2 fandom to help me when I have tasks to do in english.

I can remember 2 opportunities when I used something related to U2.
One was an infamous mistery story I wrote, inspired by the song Walk to the Water (and I had courage to share that masterpiece with the nice people here, LOL). I got a good grade, fortunately.

Another task was the oral presentation I had to provide when I finished the Intermediate Level of my course. We were supposed to talk, for 15 minutes at least, about something we really knew, you know, in details. I couldnt think of anything else but U2
So I went to my class wearing one of U2 t- shirts, and I prepared a presentation with the whole history of the band, their discography (with pictures of the albuns sleeves) and some info about Bono and his causes, like Jubilee 2000.
I wouldnt dare say everybody loved it, LOL. But I managed to answer all the questions they asked me and I got another good grade.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:16 PM   #5
Refugee

yeah, I liked this thread
Am I that weird??? Please tell Im not, LOL
Old 10-15-2001, 07:22 PM   #6
Acrobat

Last year, in my english class (english being my second language), we had to do an
oral production about any country's revolution.

I immediatly chose Ireland

I talked about the Easter rising and everything that happenned during those years.

Then, I said: What about now? How is it going in Ireland?

I shut the lights and I pushed play on the stereo. Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I began talking about the IRA and the 'horrible' situation in Ireland.

My teacher really loved it and thought I chose an excellent song to represent how bad it is over there.

I got a perfect mark! That was fun!

Old 10-15-2001, 09:23 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Here's another one I thought of...

While we were studying apartheid in my geography class, I got my teacher to let us listen to "Silver and Gold" while we took our test.

------------------
"I Don't Know You, But You Don't Know The Half Of It..."
Old 10-15-2001, 09:36 PM   #8
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Well, I haven't done as much as Bonochick.. but then I still have more high school left!

Last year I did Walk to the Water as my monologue for the drama final exam.

This year I'm doing this

And at this very moment I'm writing a review of the Hamilton show for our school newspaper.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 10-15-2001).]
Old 10-16-2001, 01:47 AM   #9
The Fly

This is pretty minor but ... Last semester in my Theories of Representation class i wrote a research paper and gave it a U2-esque title even though my topic had nothing to do with U2. It was about visual perception and the work of Chuck Close (an American painter) so i titled it "Representing Vision: Faraway, Up Close."

------------------
Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. (Steve Martin)
Old 10-16-2001, 02:02 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Love this thread idea!

Well let's see if I can remember it all:

In Theology class our group had to come up with our own prayer service. I made sure to incorporate Psalms 40 in there followed by U2's "40"

In Chemistry there was a thing called "mole day" where you had to create a stuffed mole. Odd I know but it is in remembrance of the number amount. Anyway I made my mole and called him Larry "Mole'n Jr. He had a Larry face with drumkit and everything.

In Art class we had to paint a portrait so I painted Bono.

In Art class we had to draw a portrait so I drew Edge.

In Art class we are having to make a doll of some sort out of oven-baked clay so I am currently working on a Bono doll which I may bring to the show for kicks if I finish it up on time.

In English class we had to interpret a song of our choice so I chose Mysterious Ways and we listened to it in class.

And finally in English class we had to set an original story to music so I put 'October' on loop.

U2 sure has given me an education

Old 10-16-2001, 02:10 AM   #11
The Fly

d'oh! how could i forget this!? ...

Last year in my color photo class we had an assignment to take a series of photos and show them as a slide presentation accompanied by a song or a piece of music. It was Autumn (in Massachusetts) so i took a bunch of pictures outside around sundown and then showed them to my class with "October" playing in the background. It was pretty
Old 10-16-2001, 01:31 PM   #12
Refugee

I cut class once to go to a U2 show in Atlanta. Does that count?

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com
Old 10-16-2001, 01:38 PM   #13
New Yorker

I wrote an English paper that described how images from Dante's Inferno showed up in the lyrics on Achtung Baby. Got an A.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980
Old 10-16-2001, 01:53 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Crzr4Bono:
I cut class once to go to a U2 show in Atlanta. Does that count?
IMHO yes Laura, couldn't get better education than that, LOL

But please, don't tell my kids I said so
Old 10-16-2001, 08:44 PM   #15
Refugee

There's a lot of things I won't be telling my kids, Maria Teresa...

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com
Old 10-16-2001, 08:59 PM   #16
I Serve Larry's Stick

Well I just wrote a paper for my intro the popular music class called--U2: Chopping Down the Joshua Tree. It discussed the transition b/w JT and AB, plus I had to do an album review on AB.

I also just wrote a paper for my early british lit class where I quoted the lyrics from The Wanderer.

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...
Old 10-16-2001, 09:15 PM   #17
Refugee

Bonochick, those are hilarious! I have to admit all I really did was refer to U2 in a few English essays and I also referred to them once or twice in presentations at university. Nothing too exciting. I'm always kinda careful about stuff like that.

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe
Old 10-16-2001, 09:23 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Well I just wrote a paper for my intro the popular music class called--U2: Chopping Down the Joshua Tree.

Did you plagerize off of me? I wrote about the same topic and even used the imagery of U2 chopping down the Joshua Tree. The opening chords of Zoo Station were my power saw. I wrote the paper back in fall of 1997. Jesus, that is getting to be a long time ago.

CK

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 NJ1 GA's for 2 NY1 GCs or 2 NY1 $85!! Email or IM me. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 10-16-2001).]
Old 10-16-2001, 09:39 PM   #19
The Fly

in '87 when i was assistant editor of my h.s. paper i wrote a review of JT.... then, in medical school and residency i went to both zootv and popmart got drunk off my ass and then claimed to be sick, missing the next day of class/work... and now, i will be attending a continuing medical education course, so the trip will be paid for by my practice, while in vegas to see u2... does any of that count?

------------------
It costs a fortune to look this trashy.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:43 PM   #20
I Serve Larry's Stick

I guess great minds do think alike.

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...