U2 demand Bono stop political campaings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starsgoblue said:
Being in a band might be Bono's job...but what's he's doing in Africa is something that everyone has a responsiblity towards. This isn't a U2 thing, a Bono thing....it's about DOING THE RIGHT THING.

Look at this picture from an Atlanta conference last year on the topic of Africa....this is a picture of a man that I've have always seen as larger than life and here he is in tears. And his heart has broken because he has seen the injustice of the situations in Africa, he has seen people laying ontop of each other in a hosptial bed waiting to die and being too sick to even try to cry, he has desparate parents asking him to take thier children because they know if their children were in another country they would live, he has seen whole communities deystroyed because there simply isn't anyone to farm, work, etc....and yet he sees the potential for social and physical healing in that country. To say that the situation in Africa is not something that we will have to answer for in years to come would be ignorant. I don't think Bono does this because he gets any sense of joy from this, he does it because he knows it's the right thing to do....And I defy anyone who dares to say Bono does this for his own sense of satisfaction and promotion after looking at this picture.

fo32v

I agree, Bono is acting purely from unselfish motives. BTW, where was this pic from???? When\where did this occur?

It's pretty pathetic that a rock star has to shed light on this epidemic thats occuring before our very eyes, when politicians sit around and do shit about it. They should look into the African problem as part of their daily tasks.

AussieU2fanman said:

No way, I'd be pissed off. But I'd accept it, like all the other shit in the world. Spending all this money trying to Westernize and liberate certain cultures when really deep down everyone knows it's a futile cause. I think money could be spent on other things. You and I both know damn well that in the end, they are doomed. We can keep pouring in all our resources so that one or 2 ppl may live a little while longer, but you can't change their damn culture. There will be problems implementing our ideals, I could give the example of the Aboriginal people. I could tell you what happened when they were disconnected from the land and assmillated into our society? HUGE problems. Same thing with African society. They're primitive, we are civilized, it's the way it was and it's the way it's always going to be.

They are not primitive. Africa's natural growth as a civilised nation has been hindered by Western Interference.

Remembering possibly the worst disaster since World War Two, the Rwanda genocide of 94. The only reason that happened was because Western interference, particularly France and Belgium, who deliberately set about distinguishing differences between Tutsis and Hutus, when in reality there were none. They are all of the same ethnicity, yet they were forced into believing that the other was a vicious inhumane species.

Had Belgium not been a part of Rwanda's colonial past, the Rwanda genocide would never have happened. I say that with absolute certainty and I'm not gonna back away from that FACT.

The West needs to repair the damage colonisation and slavery has had on African culture and well-being. We cannot just walk away. Would you walk away from a child you knocked down as you were walking down the street. I hope not, and I hope the West must not do the same.

The disease and famine in Africa is very real. You might believe that it is a result of the kind of environment they live in. Is that a reason to just ignore another human being. If you were an orphaned african child suffering from the threat of disease, would you refuse to be offered help to restore your chance to live the one and only life you are ever gonna have?

What is happenening in Africa, the disease, the famine, the fighting, it all could happen to us Westerners if economical, political and environmental changes went against us.

Last edited:
Ok here's a question. What do you want to see in Africa? WESTERN Education? WESTERN ways of living? WESTERN outlooks on life? Can't anybody see that this can't happen? It is not part of the culture embedded in themselves. If you try and mix them, BOOM! You're not just asking for AIDS relief, you're asking for a whole life based around our ideals. Once again I refer back to the Australian Aboriginal argument.

-last post, got to study for exams.

Last edited:
AussieU2fanman said:
Ok here's a question. What do you want to see in Africa? WESTERN Education? WESTERN ways of living? WESTERN outlooks on life? Can't anybody see that this can't happen? It is not part of the culture embedded in themselves. If you try and mix them, BOOM! You're not just asking for AIDS relief, you're asking for a whole life based around our ideals. Once again I refer back to the Australian Aboriginal argument.

Did I EVER imply this idea of Western ideals and outlooks? Again, I think the Aboriginal situation has colored your perspectives on the whole concept---this isn't the same situation and it isn't fair to apply it to the problems in Africa....

The need for Western Interference is not an attempt to re-interpret culture, it needs to be a mission to give the people the chance to live and prosper.

We just need to develop and understanding with impoverished africans.

There is definete corruption on the Westerners part in this, as well as Africa's own. That doesn't determine whether or not we should do something about this.

If you see someone laying in a ditch on the side of the road in a car wreck and it turns out that person is a drunk driver, you're still going to call an ambulance. It's a matter of doing the right thing. If there really is a large amount of people in the world that think that there isn't a common thread called humanity that connects us all, then we are all truly in a world of trouble.

Last edited:
On a side note, refering back to the original post. I don't think that politics can nessacarilly be separated from U2. That's something that is innately a part of who they are, whether it is as Irishmen or musicians, or just human beings.... If you extract that drive and pulse from thier music...it would be something totally different. Can you imagine a world without "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Miss Sarajevo", "One" or "Bullet The Blue Sky"? :no:

I will never forget one thing that Bono said about the whole AIDS in Africa thing. He said that if we all sit by and let this happen and do nothing then it's as bad as being in Germany back in WW2 and watching the Jews go off to camp and do nothing. He said, in effect, we are all sitting around watching the African's board the trains now. That picture is one I can't get out of my mind.

I just can't ever fault Bono for helping. So many people sit around on their butts and do nothing and he actually gets out and does something. I admire that in him more than anything. I've been a HUGE U2 fan since 1985 but if that's what Bono is remember for over his music then it would be an accomplishment. How many people has his work saved? Even if it's a small number it's something. He's got a HUGE heart and I sincerly doubt the other guys in U2 would tell him to stop because he needs to get back to his day job. He can do both. Again, I LOVE U2 and I LOVE thier music but his work to help save lives is very important too. I don't think he has to pick one over the other.

Aussieguy, perhaps I'm reading what you've said wrong but it seems to me as if you are saying It's not worth trying to help them or save them? It's not about making them western it's about educating them to stop the spread of AIDS. That has nothing to do with making them western.

Lisa71 said:
I will never forget one thing that Bono said about the whole AIDS in Africa thing. He said that if we all sit by and let this happen and do nothing then it's as bad as being in Germany back in WW2 and watching the Jews go off to camp and do nothing. He said, in effect, we are all sitting around watching the African's board the trains now. That picture is one I can't get out of my mind.

I find this statement to be very true....sometimes inaction can almost be as cruel as action. I can't ignore people's pain and heartache...I just can't do it. I'm not presupposing that I can do everything, but I can say I'm doing my part.

RademR said:
It's pretty pathetic that a rock star has to shed light on this epidemic thats occuring before our very eyes, when politicians sit around and do shit about it. They should look into the African problem as part of their daily tasks.

Very true. We, as citizens, can impact that. At the very least we can write to our elected officials, sometimes we forget that they work for us. It takes so little time to write a quick letter...but imagine what could happen if politicians see that we're serious about doing something more for the situation?

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." ~Alice Walker

"Not our location is important, but the direction in which we move." ~Lev Tolstoy

Jesus, aussie. We'll never fix it so screw em? If they can't fix it themselves, then why bother? Someone else's problem, not ours?

Just imagine what would've happened if these were the prevailing attitudes when Hitler was invading his neighbors...

Aussie, you're setting a bad impression of Australia by adopting the mythical "She'll be Right" attitude.

That is so UnAustralian

It's easy to make negative assumptions about something you havent witnessed with your own eyes!...I haven't been to Africa, but I've been and seen poverty. I don't have money to give.
The most I can do is volunteer my time as much as I can..
I have volunteered many hours in soup kitchens and or collecting clothes and food for the needy.
Bono's only crime , if you can call it that, is that he cares too much..It is just who he is and it's very heartfelt, and that is a good thing,
U2 is and have always been about what they BELIEVE, otherwise they would just be another rock band, and if they were just another Rock band I doubt that they would still be here today much less still together.
Therefore going back to the Sun column, I don't believe that Edge would ever make such a comment about telling Bono to stop his campaign efforts, If Edge, Adam or Larry ever felt this way the band would have broken up a long time ago!
**on that note I did'nt know what kind of newspaper the Sun was , but it was quickly cleared up by a friend who sent me this...

The Sun is one of the worst right wing pieces of shite you will ever read.
I'll give you an example of one of their stories.

In 1989 at a soccer match 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death. Days later the Scum ran a story about Liverpool fans stealing from the dead and urinating on the police, they also said the fans beat up the police who were giving people the kiss of life.

check the link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#The_Sun_newspaper

The Sun constantly have journalists who write rascist articles about asylum seekers.

Rant over.

Last edited:
i dont think theres a single thread on this website that has infuriated me as much as this one

comments like this sicken me...

"I just hope the quality of the album hasn't been affected too much by Bono's African efforts"

and what the f*ck is this supposed to mean

"Stick to a more worthwhile cause Bono, stick to U2."

how can saving thousands of lives by successfully campaigning for debt relief and getting governments to donate millions of dollars be less worthwile than putting out an 11 track LP.
in comparison the the number of people who die or are ill in africa, whats done so far may still be just a drop in the ocean but even if it were just one life it would still be worthwhile.

i dont see how a music record is even remotely important in comparison to the abosulte catastrophe that's engulfing africa at the moment? it's utterly insignificant in comparison and i for one am eternally grateful that Bono has continued making music when faced with what is IMO a far more important calling.

i just know some twat is now gonna quote me as saying i think U2 should split up to save Africa or some bollocks like that which isnt true at all.

i'm just saying that IMO speaking the work Bono does outside of U2 is far more important than making records in the greater scheme of things. Bono, thank God, obviously doenst see it that way though - he recently commented about how the band is his first job, its what he wants to do, its who he is and Africa is sort of a side job (Edge called it his Saturday morning job)
i'm just grateful that he has the ability and passion and drive to do both because to lose either would be a tragedy.

thank you stars, interdomine, BonoFox1, digsy and all others who have posted here to support Bono's advocacy work for Africa - you all did a marvelous job! :applaud:

I was asleep while this discussion took place, but it seems from the beginning of aussie's postings he was attempting to draw me into this discussion only to try to discredit me again.

It didn't work and you all stated what I would have stated but it means more when more than when just one person says it.

One thing I would ask the original posters of threads: if someone comes along and OBVIOUSLY ATTEMPTS TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD for their own purposes - either to demean another poster or to demean your original post, then CHALLENGE THEM! :yes:

Tell them that if they can't stay on topic to go and get their own post!

That is the only way that we can try to have reasoned discussion in these forums.

Unfortunately, we have those amongst us who seem more bent on personal vendettas than on decent and reasonable posting on ideas and issues surrounding U2.:tsk:

WE'RE ONE, BUT WE'RE NOT THE SAME. WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

If Bono didn't continue with his humanitarian causes do you really think their music would be the same? Both come from his soul and that is something he could not change if he wanted to. He is educating the world through his celeberty and forcing us to feel through his lyrics.....to me they are one in the same......

don't trust to contact music, they are writing gossip news! The latest one were on Larry not living in the same Bono's house, Bono not understanding Ali, The edge furious with Bono!

Gossip! Leave it behind! :madspit:

Well said by so many, I dont have much to add, but Jamila for sticking to your guns and standing up for what you know is important :hug:

Yeah to the above! Headline should perhaps read "U2 FANS DEMAND BONO CONTINUE CAMPAIGNING":heart:

U2 and their politics are what help set them levels above any other active recording act. Edge knows this better than anyone.

digsy said:
i dont think theres a single thread on this website that has infuriated me as much as this one

comments like this sicken me...

"I just hope the quality of the album hasn't been affected too much by Bono's African efforts"

and what the f*ck is this supposed to mean

"Stick to a more worthwhile cause Bono, stick to U2."

how can saving thousands of lives by successfully campaigning for debt relief and getting governments to donate millions of dollars be less worthwile than putting out an 11 track LP.
in comparison the the number of people who die or are ill in africa, whats done so far may still be just a drop in the ocean but even if it were just one life it would still be worthwhile.

i dont see how a music record is even remotely important in comparison to the abosulte catastrophe that's engulfing africa at the moment? it's utterly insignificant in comparison and i for one am eternally grateful that Bono has continued making music when faced with what is IMO a far more important calling.

i just know some twat is now gonna quote me as saying i think U2 should split up to save Africa or some bollocks like that which isnt true at all.

i'm just saying that IMO speaking the work Bono does outside of U2 is far more important than making records in the greater scheme of things. Bono, thank God, obviously doenst see it that way though - he recently commented about how the band is his first job, its what he wants to do, its who he is and Africa is sort of a side job (Edge called it his Saturday morning job)
i'm just grateful that he has the ability and passion and drive to do both because to lose either would be a tragedy.

AMEN ! I was also going to argue with Aussiefan, but everyone here did a very good job, starsgoblue, intedomine, etc.

I was a bit worried about U2 fans for a minute, but now I my confidence is renewed.

To call African people 'primitive' has to be the most racist, uninformed, retarded comment I have ever read on Interference...

Thank you all. I was beggining to seriously question the state of humanity.....if anything this has renewed my vigor and my desire to help this emergency (and yes, I made a distinction between 'cause and 'emergency').

In two weeks I'll be doing some campaigning of my own at a DATA rally. In a sense, I'll be feeling like I'm a part of what's Bono's trying to do---something completley admirable and worthwhile.

This is not a situation of trying to make anyone bow to anyone else's ideals. This is about the basic human right to life and medicine that the rest of the world is afforded. The cause of this problem are woven with different problems...but none of these problems are anything that is too overwhelming to be handled. We, personally, might not have started this but there is no reason why we can't finish this. Above all, I encourage people to become educated on this situation...because education prevents ignorance.

"I'm rebelling against the idea that the world is the way it is and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I'm trying to do, a damn thing." ~ Bono :heart:

Bono said on that interview that the only thing Edge said was to stop him from meeting with Bush, other than that though Bono actually mentioned that the other band members help him financially for these causes

Back
Top Bottom