U2 copyright question (or, NO they did not sell out!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So a friend of mine just announced U2 "broke her heart" when she heard Beautiful Day I guess on CBS as they annouced their summer line up (a concert series?? I guess?) Anyone else seen this? Do CBS need U2's permission to play a clip from their song? Anyone know????

:D

SD

Some people have their hearts broken WAY too easily.

Yeesh.

I'm sure U2 would only allow their songs to be used in the right situation that they approved of. No, they didn't sell out, and remember they turned down 23 million for Streets to be used in a car commercial!

Sherry Darling said:
So a friend of mine just announced U2 "broke her heart" when she heard Beautiful Day I guess on CBS as they annouced their summer line up (a concert series?? I guess?) Anyone else seen this? Do CBS need U2's permission to play a clip from their song? Anyone know????

No, CBS does not need U2's permission. They are allowed to use short fragments of songs to use in the background during reports (and small adverts for their own programs) without having to ask permission of the performers/writers. They do have to pay royalties for it, though. I guess they have this provision as it would be very difficult otherwise to get the appropriate permissions in time.
This rule is not applicable though for regular comedy, drama or whatever-genre-you-want series, as those episodes are shot a long time before they are shown so there is enough time to properly license the songs (and enough time for an artist to prohibit the use of a song).

C ya!

Marty

heart broken??

Sad, very sad that some people take these sort of things so seriously. U2 is held out to such a completely different standard than i think any other artist of all time and I find that to be no exageration. Only REM, or Radiohead fans might give their band as much shit as people give U2 if they ever even come near television/commercials/promotion, etc...

The CBS thing is beside the point however since this was in effect a commercial for an upcoming U2 concert (from Slane) being aired on CBS this coming year. Of course they will play a U2 song!! They probably also had a clip of a Celine Dione song since they are having a special of hers as well. Funny, i bet no one had a broken heart over that one.

Back
Top Bottom