U2 conversion scheme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
was thinking of a question I havent seen raised here b4 (to my knowlEDGE)..........so here it is.

Over the years, methinks am responsible for converting at least 10 people into genuine fans of U2.
Some of these were big time doubting thomas's....and I deserve a fekin medal for pulling it off.
Anyone else had much success?

I've never converted any of my friends into hardcore fans, though a few have asked for mix CDs. A few of my friends liked the band in the past, though, and I helped get them back into them.

Knowl:edge: :giggle:

I converted my best friend into a big U2 fan. I started off with The Best of 1980-1990, then I gave her HTDAAB, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby. She was hooked.

Well ... I doubt my 85 year-old grandma would know who Bono was if it weren't for me.

Does that count?

I can think of one person who I "brought back" to U2 after he fell out of love with them in the 90s. He's an internet buddy who had bought a bootleg of my first (and only) U2 concert and was going to send it to me for Christmas. Then he found out I'd already gotten a copy of the boot for myself. :giggle: So I told him to keep the one he'd gotten and enjoy it. So he does -- he apparently cranked up his sound system to 11 and listened to the entire thing in one sitting, drink in hand. His impressions of the show:

- He referred to the opera part of Miss Sarajevo as "jaw-dropping."

- He was pleasantly surprised with how much he liked (loved, even) the acoustic Stuck in a Moment, given that he'd hated the studio version. He also couldn't believe that he liked Beautiful Day as much as he did.

- He was really impressed with Bullet. He had no idea that it's been a live staple since '87.

Keep in mind, his musical tastes lend themselves more to hard rock and simple crunchy riffs, so it was really interesting to get his take on a lot of songs he'd never heard before. I sent him a "bootleg of the day" for a few months and convinced him that I'd get him liking at least one song each off of Pop and Zooropa. So far, I've succeeded. He loved LNOE and dug Please and Wake Up Dead Man, so mission accomplished, I guess. He's also gotten five versions of All I Want is You (really, I've never heard a bad one) and several Still Haven't Founds, because he loves that song.

Other interesting impressions I got from him: he didn't care for Gone all that much, which surprised me. He didn't like Kite at first (I sent him the Slane Castle version), but the song popped up on his "random play" feature one day and apparently hit him in just right mood -- now he loves it. His favorite of all of them was probably HMTMKMKM from Popmart Leeds. Since he hadn't heard the studio version in nearly a decade, I sent that too. He referred to it as "the greatest James Bond theme song to never actually become a James Bond theme song, ever." Heh. And his favorite All I Want Is You was not a Lovetown version, but the shortened, stripped down version from Popmart Leeds. According to him, it had "everything I like about the song and nothing that I didn't." Bono's version of "That's Life" was also a big hit, as was an acoustic TGBHF.

Edited to add: the studio version of In A Little While absolutely made his week (if I had to guess, I'd say this would be his current favorite U2 song, which shocked the hell out of me. I wasn't sure if he'd like it.) So I sent him the Vegas version with Brandon Flowers singing on it, and he grudgingly gained some respect for the guy after that.

So, 'twas a successful mission. :up:

Last edited:
I actually converted a few friends. They had no choice but to listen to U2 when they were with me so :wink:

I'm working on my mum and brother (I got them tickets for Melb 2 and bought them both HTDAAB for Xmas), and I have a long-distance project with a friend in Scotland... :wink:

I was a failed effort at conversion myself, once. My best friend was a huge U2 fan in the early 90s and tried to convert me, but I just wasn't ready then. :lol: I didn't become a fan until years later, after she'd stopped trying.

I've converted my sister and my mum

My mum came to Auckland I and kicked herself for giving away her Auckland II ticket, and my sister came to both shows.

My sister is still in the only liking stereotypical U2 stage, but one day she'll start liking Pop and Zooropa

Well i converted my little sister she even went to a U2 concert.

My cousin love U218 and a few friends like Vertigo and thats about it.

Back
Top Bottom