U2.com now has the new mix of Discotheque posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
Check it out. I think it's great. Much better than the new mix of SATS. My only complaint is that like the outro of the original better. Other than that, this is a winner.

Peace.

Well I just listened to it and I'd have to say it is a very good mix, but I like the original better. This one is more related to the live version than the original album version. The intro is a bit weaker in my opinion and the end is similar, except the fact that there are no "Boom-Cha"s and the main riff shows up again. I like the middle eight section better than the original though, and I think the chorus parts were cleaned up very well. I can't wait to hear a better quality mp3. Overall, better than the Staring at the Sun remix, but still not as good as the original. Gone and Numb are up next!!! Bring 'em on!:wink:

Achtung Zooropa said:
Gone and Numb are up next!!! Bring 'em on!:wink:

Are you guessing/hoping that these 2 will be up tomorrow? Or did you see it somewhere on the site? I'm kind of annoyed that they are just picking 2 songs randomly, I just know they're gonna be bastards and wait til the very end to play THTBA....:banghead:

Much better than the album version. More rock, less dance vibe, none of the "campy" boomcha at the end. I like U2's revisionist history.

I must confess that the remixes have taken me by storm. ;)

Staring at the Sun and now Discotheque have both been remixed to my liking. Not that they were that bad before. No way! But now, especially with Discotheque, they are going to be played a lot over the winter.

All the remixes that we have heard at this point give a strong indication that Gone, for the most part, is going to follow how it has been played live. The Edge's backing vocals are going to be awesome!

Please Lord, don't let me miss that day u2.com decides to air it.

I like the original better. The original version had layers and layers of different sounds and vocal distortion. It sounded as if they worked months evolving the sound. The end result was one big "sound".

The new discotheque is really stripped down. It sounds like they re-recorded the new version real fast, like in one evening. All the bells & whistles of the song have been severely removed it's as if they were embarrassed of them in the first place. Like someone mentioned, this version is more akin to the live version. Bono's Vocal has been mixed real high relative to the music.

Still, it's always interesting to hear a new mix of a U2 song. Bring on Gone and Numb. :p

The original version had layers and layers of different sounds and vocal distortion. It sounded as if they worked months evolving the sound. The end result was one big "sound".

I think the remix has layers of sound as well, but they're being obscured by the muffled quality of the compressed streaming audio. It's hard to tell.

Overall, I'd have to say I like the new mix better, even though I've always liked the original. I do hope they aren't giving us the best remixes first, with lower quality ones to follow.

yes it is possible some layers of sound in the new discotheque mix are being obscured by the muffled quality of the compressed streaming audio.

The low quality Staring at the Sun new mix mp3 has a nice ascending guitar effect before the 1st and 3rd chorus that can i could only notice when i turn the volume way up. The effect is simple, but it really makes the new mix for me.

I'll reserve final judgement on the new mixes when i hear the actual best of cd or when we finally get some decent quality mp3s.

Thanks for the mp3 man, sounds a little better than the streaming at u2.com for me, thnks

like it but i like the original better. i only heard it once so it might change after i get the cd and listen to it a bit more. who knows? :shrug:

PoP is a great album and it will always hold a place in my heart, but these mixes (including SATS) just sound cleaner and less muddled which allows people to listen to the brilliant imagery/lyrics. And it's always a good thing when you can hear Edge's badass guitar more on Discotheque which I've always loved.......as for the boomcha's.......hmmm depends on whether you prefer campy U2 or straightforward rock U2......I prefer the latter

PoP is dead......long live PoP

The quicktime version is much better quality than the media player one in my opinion.

Think the original wins out here though.. the new one's interesting.. but I don't think it can beat the original.

I miss the snakey little guitar part that came before "Looking for the one ..." in the original. However, I REALLY like the new guitar part that goes after that. Very garage, very rawk, keeping with what we've read about the band's new direction.

Achtung Zooropa said:
there are no "Boom-Cha"s

I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO POST A NEW THREAD DEDICATED TO THE MISSING BOOMCHAS.

WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THE BOOM-CHAS?!!?!?
:mad: :madspit: :mad: :censored: :scream:

DAMMIT.

<----Boomcha fan, obviously

Last edited:
Being a big fan of "Discotheque" (always one of the tunes in my Top 10) I didn't hesitate when I saw this thread. I've got a few t'ings to say now that I've heard it twice.

1. You can hear Bono and there isn't that much distortion or echo in the voice.

2. The intro, in my opinion, is far better than the original - especially when Adam kicks that bass groove in there. Quite orgasmic. Ha.

3. Okay - so there's no "boom chas" but the guitar has been stripped back into more of a rock sound (sorta like the Elevation Live version).

I wanna say again that Bono's vocal sounds great and there's even some abstract lyrics near the end - something all of us can slave over to figure out what he's muttering.

u22.jpg

"Just try it, bub..."

-[z]-

Sorry. Theyve completely raped the song. No BOOM-CHA's, no chainsaw guitar, all the bells and whistles are gone. Its just standard rock anthem fare now.

While I wouldn't go so far as saying they raped the song, in my opinion the original version is MUCH better. It's got waaaay more attitude and swagger. This version is too polite and straightforward. It is less cluttered sonically, but even with the clutter the original is much more interesting for me.

I hope the other remixes actually do justice to the originals...

*BOOMCHAA!* said:

I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO POST A NEW THREAD DEDICATED TO THE MISSING BOOMCHAS.

WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THE BOOM-CHAS?!!?!?
:mad: :madspit: :mad: :censored: :scream:

DAMMIT.

<----Boomcha fan, obviously

I miss the boom chas as well. I think it's a good remix though. Definintely closer to the live version. I prefer the POP version but I'm glad they are putting remixes on the Best Of just for something different. I'm really looking forward to the "Gone" remix. I'm thinking that one will better the album version.

:down:

Pop was their experimentation with dance, loops, bells and whistles. Discotheque was rich and full, but now sounds bare and stripped down like some of you said. It definitely feels more like rock than a cool dancing tune. Nothing wrong with rock, but a name like "Discotheque" commands something beyond rock. I miss the pizzazz.

I'm disappointed.

:grumpy:

I know the internet version is pretty low-quality ... but I definitely like the original version better. This one seems kind of sad without the boom-chas, somehow. And yeah, hello Bono's voice, d' ya think I could hear some instruments now? ;) Ah, I know it'll probably sound better on the CD. But still.

it's ok, I still think the PopMart version is superior to any of the studio mixes

I like the guitar sound, but they've stripped away most of the song underneath it, too bad, could have been a great mix

Back
Top Bottom