U2.com now has the new mix of Discotheque posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:down: nope.

sorry, I don't like what they are doing. The new mix is nowhere near the original; and it's like they're saying to people "no, really, we weren't that bad on pop; just listen to this remix..."

just let it be is what they should've done and moved on...no apologies and no remixes.:madspit:

tomtom said:
Oh yeah, btw, Mirrorball Girl, Wilco KICKS ASS. I especially love "Kamera".

:yes: I listened to the webcast from Washington D.C. tonight.

And JOFO, I pretty much agree with what you said. What happened to "We've never made a crap album" and "The only people who had a problem with Pop were the Americans"? Not that this proves the boys think Pop is bad ... only that they think it could have been better. But their current definition of "better" does not seem to be mine.

I look at these new mixes as "remixes." i don't look at it as if the band is saying "okay, these are the new final versions of the songs." "pretend pop never happened."

I like the beginning... I think it's an improvement, but they should have left the later part of the song as it is, IMHO.
I don't see anything wrong with remixing the songs- we already have the original versions. And if the mixes are any better, they may make new listeners pay more attention... perhaps consider buying Pop....

im liking the way bono gets sorta echoey and his ahhhhs last on a bit. whats he saying in that part we've never heard before?!@!!!! that part is new, and i LURVE NEW so its good just to hear it for that!

but yeah lets remember kids, its just a remix. the original has the boom chas, this doesn't. no big deal.

although....if youre looking at it as a best of the 90s...maybe it does matter as they are putting this up as the best. hmmmm..im going to ponder that one some more.

All I have to say its sounding like a cover version of U2 song called Discotheque. I must admit I like variations, but U2 doesnt have to bother doing these things.

The Original is better , much better , this lame version is too weak and sounds too poopy like all new material of U2 from year 2000 ( except MDH soundtrack that's where they were a rock band ) .
I expect the same from " new " Numb , Gone , Staring At The sun
less alternative , less rock , more sounds ala Madonna style .

I have a kareoke CD that has Disoctheque, and it has the option of listening to the "choir" sing the song...in case you don't know how it goes...anyway...my friends and I always used to laugh at this half-assed attempt at pulling off the song...the even left out some of the boom-cha's...

And I am sorry to say it...but this new version of Discotheque sounds just like that CD...this is the most half-assed attempt at a remix I have ever seen...I'm all for remixes, but give me a break...it sounds like Bono is bored half the time...

Give me the bells and whistles anyday...here's hoping the Hexidecimal remix from the B-sides is much better.

UltravioletU2 said:
:down:

Pop was their experimentation with dance, loops, bells and whistles. Discotheque was rich and full, but now sounds bare and stripped down like some of you said. It definitely feels more like rock than a cool dancing tune. Nothing wrong with rock, but a name like "Discotheque" commands something beyond rock. I miss the pizzazz.

I'm disappointed.

:grumpy:

yep, I totally agree; I mean, the song IS called "discotheque".:dance: :drunk:

WOW!

I'm liking the new mix. I miss the boom-cha's, yes, but the chiming guitar at the end is just awesome. It never hit me as much in the original mix.

Great stuff

-Mike

I was just saying to Sicy this morning that I love the new remixes because I get to read all the whining and moaning about it here

I am not disappointed

and i was just thinking about how we can always expect a smart ass response from such a dignified person such as yourself.

Am I to understand that the BOOMCHA is gone!!

:happy: :) :up: :dance:

The dance of joy!! Hallelujah!!!! :yes:

That was the WORST part of the song! It was bad! I always thought it contributed to the negative reaction the song got. Last year driving to a U2 concert in Charlotte (about 5-6 hours from my home) my teenage son and I played all U2 albums in order. He even forced me to listen to Pop, (he doesn't like it but doesn't hate it like I do, and we did jettison several songs before they were over) and when it got to those BOOMCHAs he started laughing uncontrollably and said 'man, that is so terrible it's embarrassing!!!' and he turned it off out of respect for an otherwise great band. It was so lame!!!!! Of course I think the whole song is but that part especially deserves to die! Maybe the band realized this. Obviously they did or they wouldn't have ditched it. GOOD MOVE GUYS!!!!!!!!!! :up:

Goodbye sister disco
now I know
I go where the music fits my soul....
Goodbye sister disco
my dancing's left you behind.....

-The Who, 1978

:dance:

:heart:

Zargo said:
I like the original better. The original version had layers and layers of different sounds and vocal distortion. It sounded as if they worked months evolving the sound. The end result was one big "sound".

The new discotheque is really stripped down. It sounds like they re-recorded the new version real fast, like in one evening. All the bells & whistles of the song have been severely removed it's as if they were embarrassed of them in the first place. Like someone mentioned, this version is more akin to the live version. Bono's Vocal has been mixed real high relative to the music.

Still, it's always interesting to hear a new mix of a U2 song. Bring on Gone and Numb. :p

my thoughts exactly
and where oh where did the boomcha's go?

the original mix on the album ( not the single mix ) was great , it had this extreme feeling , underground party to Hell , this is how U2 had to shot video for it , all this village people idea was terrible . POP is a great record , but U2 did not stand by so high standarts , only a few good shows on POP Mart , then in october 2000 with ATYCLB they decided to retreat ..... bye bye .....

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

gypseyheartgirl, you never cease to amaze me with your pointless posts. noone cares how you feel about pop, do you not get it yet?

whats wrong with you?

do people in real life feel like bashing their own skull with a spork when they talk to you out of sheer frustration? your agenda of hating pop will only be matched in annoyance with mine of bashing your point of view.

everyones sick of it already.

:sexywink:

LAME

The remix doesn't even deserve a second listen. Its just the original with the best bits taken out. What a waste of time.

By the end of the song, I hate the main riff. And the "Heaven in Your Heart" bit has been drained of all of its life and attitude.

Getting rid of the Boom-Chas is fine by me, but its unforgivable to remove the "ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, HAAA" bit that preceeds it - That was the best bit in the whole song.

They should have done it like they played it when I saw them - with the slinky harmonics at the beginning, and then chopping into Staring at the Sun half way through. NOw that rocked.

Zoomerang96 said:
gypseyheartgirl, you never cease to amaze me with your pointless posts. noone cares how you feel about pop, do you not get it yet?

whats wrong with you?

do people in real life feel like bashing their own skull with a spork when they talk to you out of sheer frustration? your agenda of hating pop will only be matched in annoyance with mine of bashing your point of view.

everyones sick of it already.

:sexywink:

Oh I forgot. Only ONE opinion of Pop is permitted on this forum. All others will be bashed, chastised and belittled. Look, if everyone else says what they think, shouldn't I have that right too? Oh not Gypsy, because she says bad things about Pop and we don't want to hear it. All I did was explain what a good decision I thought it was and how I agreed with it based on my personal experience. I also find this interesting that Hello Angel would not bother to defend my right to opinion without rude bashing like yours. If One Tree Still can repeatedly say how much he hates ATYCLB and wants the band to quit why can't I keep expressing my views too? Because you don't want to hear it and you don't like me, that makes all the difference in the world. Well please don't give me any more lectures like the one I got in J's thread unless things are fair in both directions. The hypocrisy around here stinks.:grumpy:

Last edited:
Shame on me?

GypsyHeartgirl said:

That's not what I posted. I've never seen anyone fabricate someone else's post before. Shame on you.

I know that's not what you posted. Everyone else knows that's not what you posted. I've seen lots of people alter what people posted, but only either in fun or to capture the basic gist of the message. Guess which one I chose.

Last edited:
look jhipsey, clearly noone appreciates your thoughts around here.

dont you get it? its not what your saying its HOW you say it.

if your so old and wise, have you not learnt such a basic manner?

stay in pleba, for everyones benefit.

as for the song, i go with what nshaik said. the very first time i heard it i was very tired of that riff by the end. its been slaughtered, but because its such a good song to begin with, i still like it.

it just doesnt compare to the original.

Back
Top Bottom