U2.com Get it Right!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
// //SoundByte

'U218 Singles' is the 'definitive best of' , the first single disc collection to span the band’s career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004).

Ahhh... i dont see no Boy songs on this CD :mad:

I wish there was though.

Is I Will Follow not on your copy of Boy?

From Boy right through To HTDAAB

No October
No Pop
No Zooropa

I would have prefered

Gloria instead of I Still Havent Found
Discoteque Instead of Stuck In a moment
Stay instead of Sometimes You Cant make it

That would have been a true collection spanning the bands entire career. Which in essence is what a best of is supposed to do. In the hope that it might entice the casual listener to purchase albums from the back catologue. As well as make a few bucks from Christmas.

I myself didnt buy it. I made my own U2 18 and its far better than the one in the shops.

Jeffo17 said:

And the reason for this is?

I think the logic is that album prices are higher there, so a bonus track makes it a more attractive purchase.

Axver said:

I think the logic is that album prices are higher there, so a bonus track makes it a more attractive purchase.

Correct. They do the same thing by putting The Ground Beneath Her Feet on UK of ATYCLB and Fast Cars on HTDAAB. I think it also applies to Japan. Neither of those songs appeared on the albums in any other countries.

phillyfan26 said:

Neither of those songs appeared on the albums in any other countries.

Australia and NZ had those bonus tracks too (plus Japan & England). And they are available as digital bonus tracks from iTunes in South Africa.

I believe one of the main reasons for the bonus tracks in non-US markets is to combat the importing of cheaper US CDs into UK, Japan and Australasia where CDs tyically cost 30-40% more than the US.

It will cost you £12.99 from most shops in the UK. Not sure how those prices compare to the US prices, and if it warrents a bonus track.

Well Since none of the aussie record stores list any copies of U2 18 with 19 tracks on it....I'll have to go into the cd store and check it out....

Unless its just noted as "U2:18 Singles (With A Bonus Track)..

A Bonus track that is listed , and is the first song on the cd :shrug:

mackemlad said:

No October
No Pop
No Zooropa

I would have prefered

That would have been a true collection spanning the bands entire career. Which in essence is what a best of is supposed to do. In the hope that it might entice the casual listener to purchase albums from the back catologue. As well as make a few bucks from Christmas.

I totally agree with your alternative choices! :up: It would have made for a far more interesting listen than it is now. I mainly bought it to get the Milan dvd, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it otherwise. :shrug:

If I had a few bucks for every time I've read a thread liek this (either the u2.com sucks thread or the u2 18 doesn't actually span their career thread).....

mackemlad said:

No October
No Pop
No Zooropa

I would have prefered

I would switch S. Thing and 2 of the ATYCLB songs for Gloria (for being denied a place on 80's Best of), I will follow (the first album represented) and Discotheque (it was a top 10 song in US).

Bonus song Stay or better yet HMTKMKM.

Since that's where this thread seems to be heading...

The omission of "The Fly" is a complete joke. I'm not one to lightly bitch about every choice U2 makes, but The Fly was the U2 song of the 90's (One my ass)...switch out something for Fly.

Actually I'd take out Sweetest Thing, Mysterious Ways, and Stuck, and add Out of Control, Gloria, and Fly.

Bones58 said:
It will cost you £12.99 from most shops in the UK. Not sure how those prices compare to the US prices, and if it warrents a bonus track.

£8.99 and we pre-ordered it.

hcbiggs2002 said:

I totally agree with your alternative choices! :up: It would have made for a far more interesting listen than it is now. I mainly bought it to get the Milan dvd, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it otherwise. :shrug:

I agree with the choices, except for "I Still...". This was a HUGE hit for U2, so that almost has to be included. But the fact that they were able to put 19 songs on the CD proves that they could have added one or two more songs to the list and included "Gloria" and "Stay" at least. "Staring at the Sun" would have been good too (a U2-ish song from "Pop" that would have flowed with the rest of the CD). I am disappointed that U2 ignored "Gloria" twice. This is a well received song and the best known song from "October". Why it wasn't included on the 80's "Best Of" is beyond my comprehension.

Back
Top Bottom