U2 College Essay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsMango

War Child
Freer than a bird 'Cause we're rockin' Ohio
In my english class we had to write our college essays. The college i am probably going to doesn't require an essay but i still have to turn one in for english. So she gave us some topics and one was about a hero. She said it could be anyone. I said "someone famous?" she said "ok." So i did mine about Bono. :D It's not too great, but i did it in 30 min at 1:30AM the night before! Here it is!

An Illustrious Hero

It take some people a lifetime to figure out who they are, and what they want from life. Some know who they are and what they want from the beginning. One of those people is Bono, a singer and humanitarian.

Having a passion for music from a young age Bono followed his dream and joined a band. From the beginning he was set on being huge and accepted nothing less than his best. Being a journalist has been an aspiration of mine my entire life. Suffering from being shy made me wary of whether or not I could achieve that dream. But seeing how in the face of adversity, whether it be the capricious music industry or just being timid, Bono shows that a passion for what you do and a strong work ethic, can help you achieve what you dream.

No matter who you are there are opportunities to help people all around us. Many people in the spotlight have chosen to do nothing with the power of persuasion they have over many. Bono has been an advocate for many different causes throughout his life. From pacifistic views on violence in his home country of Ireland, to raising awareness on the AIDS epidemic in Africa, Bono has tried to better the world he is in. Taking the initiative to help others, no matter how big or small the action, is a very admirable trait.

While many people have accessible heroes whom they look up to, I have a famous one. I may never meet him and he may never know the profound effect he had on me, but his unorthodox dreams, his passion for helping others, his love for everything he does, has changed who I am. He showed me to be myself and helping others is advantageous for everyone involved. He?s not your everyday hero, but he?s my illustrious hero.

:applaud: Wow! I hope you do become a journalist because you have a real gift for writing - that was excellent ... and of course you had an inspirational topic :D Don't deny the world your talent!

:applaud: Excellent!

Don't let being shy get in the way of your dream of being a journalist. I had the same doubts starting out, but I've been writing for newspapers for more than a decade now and have never regretted it.

~LadyLemon~ said:
Very cool!

P.S. Part of my senior thesis was about U2

lol glad i am not the only one obsessed enough to bring U2 into my school work. they said write about what you know!! So i did :)

Originally posted by Bono's shades
Excellent!

Don't let being shy get in the way of your dream of being a journalist. I had the same doubts starting out, but I've been writing for newspapers for more than a decade now and have never regretted it.

really? that's so cool! :D So many things about journalism suit me..being shy is about the only thing that keeps me from being postivie it is what i want. But thanks for the advice! :wave:

someone posted a poem about Bono in PLEBA once. I remember it finished something like "He's not afraid to step outside of the circle and make his own square" Anyway, it was a neat poem like this neat essay. Maybe I can write about Bono this year... (my ENG 101 term paper was on AIDS in Africa and I think it's the best paper I've ever written)

If I wrote an essay like this in Denmark everyone would have laughed their heads off - literally! It just shows - again - how different cultures really can be. When reading the essay I almost see Forest Gump running waving a flag with "The American Dream" written all over it and all sweet violins playing...It's a very well written essay - with English as my 2nd language I couldn't have achieved anything close to it. It's not a bad essay... It's just so....American....if you know what I mean. Maybe. Probably not.

Re: ....

elevation said:
If I wrote an essay like this in Denmark everyone would have laughed their heads off - literally! It just shows - again - how different cultures really can be. When reading the essay I almost see Forest Gump running waving a flag with "The American Dream" written all over it and all sweet violins playing...It's a very well written essay - with English as my 2nd language I couldn't have achieved anything close to it. It's not a bad essay... It's just so....American....if you know what I mean. Maybe. Probably not.

Yes.

(<--- American)

Re: ....

elevation said:

really? hmm.. I am so UN-patriotic. I hate george bush. I am not that "american" like most people from other countries would say. I'm not driving a pick up truck, wearing a flannel shirt and has "blow them towel heads up" bumper sticker. : no: I think alot of people in america have a problem with bono because he is more european...how he doesn't feel like his country is the only one in the world..like alot of americans, but about no europeans feel. So i'm not sure i know what you mean

Back
Top Bottom