U2-Coldplay connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
Why is it everytime I hear about Coldplay, I hear about U2 and vice versa. I'm pretty much sick of hearing about Coldplay and how they're the next U2 and they are so alike. I don't see it really. Musically, they are 2 different bands to me. U2 is about The Edge's guitar. Coldplay is about Martin's piano. There you have it. One band is a guitar band and the other is a piano band. And Martin's vocal abilities are pretty limited compared to Bono's. If you listen to all the things Bono has done with his voice over the years compared to what Martin has done, it's no contest. And I know Martin is younger, but I don't see him making any drastic changes or improvments with his delivery.

I'm not bashing Coldplay here. I like just about everything I've heard from them. But there's no comparison between them and U2 for me. They SURE AS HELL will never be the live band U2 is either. But who could really? Thre are many other bands that U2 fans could be getting excited about other than Coldplay. Sadly, Coldplay is the only one we hear on the radio. We need more Arcade Fire on the radio, as Wake Up is BEAUTIFUL! But to be honest I have yet to hear anything that I can even think of as the "next U2". It won't happen in my lifetime I'm sure.

If U2 can be compared to The Beatles, then why not compare Coldplay to U2?
And when someone says the next U2, they don't mean a four piece band that's driven by its lyrics and its atmospheric/echoey guitar effects. What they mean is the NEXT BIG THING in rock/pop.
While I don't believe Coldplay is that next big thing, it's a fair argument if you want to make it. Will they sell 15-20 million of the same album....will they sell out stadiums in the US and Europe (and elsewhere, occasionally when they decide to go beyond the Western world)? Coldpay hasn't done that yet, but the potential is there.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
U2 is about The Edge's guitar. Coldplay is about Martin's piano. There you have it.

:shame:

Coldplay's guitar is awesome.

Coldplay isn't nearly as interesting. And never will be, I'm guessing.

I don't hate Coldplay at all, I just don't enjoy them. They seem like a good group of guys and their music isn't offensive.

I see their career echoing Pearl Jam's more than U2's. Eventually they will release albums that will sell well, but their only audience will be their (many) diehards, as opposed to every goddamn person on the earth.

I found it funny that an article popped up this week where Chris Martin says that he is aware that his lyrics are shit and they're going to work on them.

pacemaker said:

I found it funny that an article popped up this week where Chris Martin says that he is aware that his lyrics are shit and they're going to work on them.

Well, at least Chris Martin realizes it too...

if he were a rapper with lyrics like

Tears streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace

he would've been shot by now, 50 Cent-sytle

Last edited:
coldplaysucks.jpg

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Why is it everytime I hear about Coldplay, I hear about U2 and vice versa. I'm pretty much sick of hearing about Coldplay and how they're the next U2 and they are so alike. I don't see it really. Musically, they are 2 different bands to me. U2 is about The Edge's guitar. Coldplay is about Martin's piano. There you have it. One band is a guitar band and the other is a piano band. And Martin's vocal abilities are pretty limited compared to Bono's. If you listen to all the things Bono has done with his voice over the years compared to what Martin has done, it's no contest. And I know Martin is younger, but I don't see him making any drastic changes or improvments with his delivery.

I'm not bashing Coldplay here. I like just about everything I've heard from them. But there's no comparison between them and U2 for me. They SURE AS HELL will never be the live band U2 is either. But who could really? Thre are many other bands that U2 fans could be getting excited about other than Coldplay. Sadly, Coldplay is the only one we hear on the radio. We need more Arcade Fire on the radio, as Wake Up is BEAUTIFUL! But to be honest I have yet to hear anything that I can even think of as the "next U2". It won't happen in my lifetime I'm sure.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, I just want to point out that this is a GREAT post. It could have been written by me, I totally agree on everything.

Dear God, there's a million and one crimes against music happening (just look at any Top 40) and people keep getting riled about Coldplay???

I never understand people sometimes :huh:

blueeyedgirl said:
Dear God, there's a million and one crimes against music happening (just look at any Top 40) and people keep getting riled about Coldplay???

The thing about Coldplay is they are being touted as THE big thing in rock music at the moment. If you love rock music, that's a very disheartening thing. I mean, if Coldplay is the future of rock and roll, then rock and roll is truly dead. And I'm not just talking about the fact that they most decidedly do not rock. The complete lack of originality and charisma is also a big, big problem.

blueeyedgirl said:

Well said.

Yes Coldplay and their latest album are overrated, and there are U2 influences in their music... but their not half as bad as some of the crap out there are the moment.

There are many, many other artists out there at the moment that Id rather moan and complain about before Coldplay.

Bono's shades said:

The thing about Coldplay is they are being touted as THE big thing in rock music at the moment. If you love rock music, that's a very disheartening thing. I mean, if Coldplay is the future of rock and roll, then rock and roll is truly dead. And I'm not just talking about the fact that they most decidedly do not rock. The complete lack of originality and charisma is also a big, big problem.
Coldplay (and maybe Green Day too) are just "the band of the moment"... Im pretty sure that if their next album isn't a big improvement on X&Y then their hype and popularity will die down anyway.

Sadly, Coldplay will then just be replaced by a new "band of the moment".

Coldplay aren't the first (and certainly won't be the last) band to be rated by many as something they are not.
It's not just Coldplay, a lot of highly rated bands/ artists these days are all hype.

Last edited:
atleast Chris Martin didn't write...

My humps, my humps
My lovely lady lumps

atleast I hope he didn't...:huh:

See? That crap is going to get to No. 1 around the world and yet U2 fans are obsessed with the lyrics to Fix You (which didn't and won't)

Why don't you all go and try to get teh Black Eyed Peas banned? :mad:

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

I agree with most of that except you forgot to mention Adam and Larry. They are responsible for the "U2 sound" too. I read that early on Adam would play mid range bass notes, which in turn caused Edge to play higher notes on guitar so as not to 'muddle' the sound.

Adam plays Jazz style basses, as well as hybrid Precision style basses with Jazz style necks.

Guy Berryman plays Precision style basses from what I've seen at their site.

Larry started playing drums when he was a youngster. Sets his drumkit in an unusual manner. Uses certain drums in ways most drummers wouldn't. I'm not much of a musician so I have to take Bill Flanagan's word on this.

Coldplay's drummer Will kinda jumped into being one. He's sorta in Adam's position when U2 started, "learning on the job." Bono as well was a "learner on the job."

Bono, not much of a piano/keyboard player, plays guitar though Edge and Adam have joked he "wears" guitar.

Chris Martin, think he plays some guitar on occasion, but mostly plays piano/keyboards. He could play a keetar. :laugh: won't have to sit down as much.

blueeyedgirl said:
See? That crap is going to get to No. 1 around the world and yet U2 fans are obsessed with the lyrics to Fix You (which didn't and won't)

Why don't you all go and try to get teh Black Eyed Peas banned? :mad:

Hmm that still wouldn't get that awful "funk with my heart" song out of my head!

Maybe I'm so used to hearing Edge's echo/delay pedal, I don't realise when other bands are ripping it off. For the most part, when I listen to Jonny playing guitar it is very clean with a touch of reverb but by no means a carbon copy of Edge's licks.
Seriously folks.....cut Coldplay a bit of slack!!!! They are a quality band....perhaps not the same calibre as Dublin's finest export but that still remains to be seen - its still early days. So far though, they've come out with a bunch of decent tunes which sound pretty promising to my ears....

Don't Panic :drool::drool::drool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom