U2 Climbs 7 spots on Hot 100, Eminem drops 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
This week Vertigo has moved up on the Hot 100 from 39 last week to 32 this week. This is the largest single week jump yet so far!

Eminem dropped from 6 to 8.

I don't get how U2 are so far down on US charts either. And as you said, the Em song is a stinker. Just goes to show when you're in flavour with the mainstream you can chuck out any old sh!t and it'll be a hit.

i think 32 is pretty good for u2, especially after a 4 year hiatus. since joshua tree american radio just hasn't been too fond of their music. i think if it breaks into the the top 20 that would be great.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what exactly does eminem dropping from 6 to 8 have to do with u2?

Apparently everyone is concerned that Eminem is going to outsell U2 the first week the album is out. Who cares? ATYCLB debuted at only #3, but had the highest first week sales for a U2 album ever.

BTW, has anyone seen the new Eminem video (Mosh). It is pretty powerful. Anti-Bush though, so it will be dividiing.

what exactly does eminem dropping from 6 to 8 have to do with u2?

american radio is so itemized today that it's damn hard for a band like u2 to break the top 10.

vertigo is in the top 10 on all the rock charts, and that's the only thing that really matters.

:up: thank you headache. With the way radio is formatted, at least in the States, its really impossible for u2 to go to no. 1 anymore. It is funny that every time chart position is mentioned, Eminem is mentioned also. ??

I'm hoping with the new video release, it can shoot into the top 20, but that might be tough. Would be great though. Keep requesting it on the radio :wink:

As much as I would like to see Vertigo in the top 10, it's not going to happen. Since singles are not released to retail any longer, it's all about airplay. When Usher and Eminem, etc. are being played on every R and B and Pop station, it's highly unlikely that U2 will be able to break the pop top 10.

Hey Jick,

How come you always end your post with " Cheers, J"??
Don't you ever want to mix it up a bit?

Cheers,

B

boosterjuice said:
Hey Jick,

How come you always end your post with " Cheers, J"??
Don't you ever want to mix it up a bit?

Cheers,

B

Especially considering Jeers would be more appropriate with him.

I don't know how Vertigo will go to No. 1 in the U.S. The only radio stations it really "fits" on are modern rock or alt-rock stations, and there just aren't as many of those as there are classic rock, AC and Top 40 stations (who seem to have abondened rock altogether, except for pop-rock like Maroon 5). We don't even have a modern rock station in the market I live in, let alone an alt-rock station.

However, I don't think U2's album sales will suffer a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah it disgusts me to see that such a low life good for nothing motherfucker like emminem can actualy be way higher up in the charts then U2!!! my oh my this generation is so brain washed with worthless shit like eminem and britney speers and ashlee simpson (who was cought lip synching) and christina agulera and Nsync and so on and so fourht. Its all crap and everyone loves it more then U2!!

ahh goto go vent some anger now LOL

:mad:

Remember guys, U2 has done this now for over a decade, releasing singles first to Modern Rock and Rock and then spreading to top 40 later after/if it does well in those formats. It was reported in this forum yesterday that U2 is starting to court top 40 radio starting this week and the video is released today on MTV and VH1 with a making of the video either this week or next week right? Anyway, hopefully we are seeing an upward momentum and the video and increased play at top 40 (maybe) will push this song into the top 20. I would love to see it go above Beautiful Days #21.
Maybe if you guys have time, throw a request out to your local top 40 station for it.

GO VERTIGO! :)

the past singles

Its #1 Us Modern Rock - Top 100 is always funny because there are more top 40/ r&B stations then rock

In one week Vertigo passes Pride, and WGRYWH. Now tied with EBTTRT. How much higher will it go on the Hot 100 chart?!?!?

Here's the current list:

1987 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 1
1987 - With Or Without You - 1
1988 - Desire - 3
1992 - Mysterious Ways - 9
1992 - One - 10
1997 - Discotheque - 10
1987 - Where The Streets Have No Name - 13
1989 - Angel Of Harlem - 14
1995 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - 16
2001 - Beautiful Day - 21
1997 - Staring At The Sun - 26
1992 - Even Better Than The Real Thing - 32
2004 - Vertigo - 32
1984 - (Pride) In The Name Of Love - 33
1992 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 35
1988 - In God's Country - 44
2001 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - 52
1983 - New Year's Day - 53
1997 - Last Night On Earth - 57
1991 - The Fly - 61
1994 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - 61
1998 - The Sweetest Thing - 63
1989 - When Love Comes To Town - 68
2002 - Electrical Storm - 77
1984 - I Will Follow - 81
1989 - All I Want Is You - 83

i will follow didn't hit the charts until 1984? :scratch:

That is correct, I think it was re-released due to the growing popularity. It hit #20 on the Rock charts back when the album was released.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Can't believe an instant classic like "Stay" only got to no.61!

Although Stay is great song. It just doesn't have "hit" written on it. It's too deep for most to relate. Vertigo is much more catchy (in my opinion of course). I feel that musically, north america is getting dumber. Everyone follows performers rather than musicians/artists. We need less performers. Music is much more meaningful than a performance. I don't want to be entertained, I want to be touched and affected by music. I don't see this in North America. People just want to be entertained. It is really sad.

You know whats interesting? Walk on didn't even crack the top 100 yet it still won the grammy for Record of the Year. Go Figure. I would still love to see Vertigo go as high as it can.

Re: the past singles

theyhype said:
Its #1 Us Modern Rock - Top 100 is always funny because there are more top 40/ r&B stations then rock

In one week Vertigo passes Pride, and WGRYWH. Now tied with EBTTRT. How much higher will it go on the Hot 100 chart?!?!?

Here's the current list:

1987 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 1
1987 - With Or Without You - 1
1988 - Desire - 3
1992 - Mysterious Ways - 9
1992 - One - 10
1997 - Discotheque - 10
1987 - Where The Streets Have No Name - 13
1989 - Angel Of Harlem - 14
1995 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - 16
2001 - Beautiful Day - 21
1997 - Staring At The Sun - 26
1992 - Even Better Than The Real Thing - 32
2004 - Vertigo - 32
1984 - (Pride) In The Name Of Love - 33
1992 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 35
1988 - In God's Country - 44
2001 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - 52
1983 - New Year's Day - 53
1997 - Last Night On Earth - 57
1991 - The Fly - 61
1994 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - 61
1998 - The Sweetest Thing - 63
1989 - When Love Comes To Town - 68
2002 - Electrical Storm - 77
1984 - I Will Follow - 81
1989 - All I Want Is You - 83

Hey, thehype, at least give me some credit for putting this list together! I spent a long time on this!!!

boosterjuice said:

Although Stay is great song. It just doesn't have "hit" written on it. It's too deep for most to relate. Vertigo is much more catchy (in my opinion of course). I feel that musically, north america is getting dumber. Everyone follows performers rather than musicians/artists. We need less performers. Music is much more meaningful than a performance. I don't want to be entertained, I want to be touched and affected by music. I don't see this in North America. People just want to be entertained. It is really sad.

Very true. Which is why we shouldn't be obsessed with chart rankings and whatnot.

Mission Impossible Theme reached #7 to make it one of the few highlights of the musical careers of Mullen and Clayton.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Mission Impossible Theme reached #7 to make it one of the few highlights of the musical careers of Mullen and Clayton.

Cheers,

J

Yeah. :laugh: It peaked higher than One, Mysterious Ways and Beautiful Day.

Back
Top Bottom