U2 CD's....U.S. or British?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

socalu2fan

I'm bumping this up because I am also interested in getting remastered early u2 cd's. those albums were great but they could use some work on the mastering.

Yep, the albums Boy through UF were digitally remastered. I 'don't know about the other albums. You could probably get them at Amazon or Esprit (www.eil.com).

DrTeeth, do you have these albums and do they improve the sound significantly enough to be worth the investment to a poor college student? Also, at various times at CD stores I have come across Gold CD recordings, are these the discs you are talking about or are they something different also? Thanks for the info.

Its amazing how hard it is to get a reply to your thread unless it is nonsensical or you are part of the interference clique. People don't even bother to read what you have posted and that is just a downright shame.

Dano

Originally posted by socalu2fan:
Its amazing how hard it is to get a reply to your thread unless it is nonsensical or you are part of the interference clique. People don't even bother to read what you have posted and that is just a downright shame.

Dano

You're right, and it is a shame. I wish I could help...but hey, at least I took the time to read and reply!

------------------
The numeral 7

I know these aren't the same thing as the Gold CDs, which I believe were remasters done by an independant company which has now gone under.

Coming from the UK I can shed some light on this topic.

I have Boy through to Wide Awake In America on Island Masters CD, though curiously UF appears to be an unmastered edition. Judging that was one of the first ones I bought about seven years ago, however, possibly gives the game away.

If you buy any of the earlier albums here in England in any regular record shop, there is an almost certain chance that it will be an Island Master. So maybe if you bought from a UK online store you should be getting an Island Masters edition.

------------------
Looking for explanations? Well I don't even understand

Originally posted by socalu2fan:

Dano

thems are the words of the beginnings of anti cliques clique.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

I have the re-mastered The Joshua Tree. They refer to them as "gold" discs, since that's what they are. Good thing I have that re-mastered one too - since my friend stole my other Joshua Tree from me.

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" What Can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out ? "

Thanks 7, I appreciate your efforts.

So I am still confused about the CD's but I have been interested in them for quite some time. I wonder if Virgin Records Stores here in the States have the remastered CD's. Perhaps tomorrow I will go and check it out.

Any anti-clique clique I belong to will be open to everyone even those who belong to other cliques!

I was in London a few weeks ago looking through the U2 section at a Virgin Megastore & I noticed that the album up to UF were part of the "Island Masters" series, different from the US. Also, the packaging looked more faithful to the original albums. The JT cover was the original album cover as well, not the blurry shot. My question is were all of the early albums remastered at some point in the last few years in the UK? If so, is there a goot place on line to get them?

Thanks...

I want answers for our questions and until U get them I will kepp bumping this thread!

I don't know about the others, but if I don't know the answer, how can I reply??

Anyway, *bump*

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 11-06-2001).]

I'm sorry, but I just don't have any more info. I didn't buy them because I'm a poor student as well.

Thanks to all who replied to my post. i didn't get a chance to see the responses until today. I actually got the British JT a few days ago from my sister in London. I think the sound is a little improved & a bit louder than the US CD. The cool thing is it has the original cover & not the blurred close up picture. There are also more pictures inside not in the US version. I know the UK Boy-UF are Island Masters, but does anyone know when they were remastered and if the quality is a noticiable improvement of the US CD's? I actually have the GOLD UF from 1995 or 96 I think, and it sounds so much better than the US CD, & has the long version of 4th of July on it. Only thing that is kind of lame is the cover was shrunken down considerably. I am most concerned with sound quality, but it would be nice if CD's are reissued that they are faithfull to the covers as well.

I hate the blurred picture on JT!! I think it's a beautiful picture when non-blurred. I might have to get that edition of JT some time--I have some issues about the sound on that album, even though I'm not usually picky. Maybe because it's such a great album in every other way? Also, I presume the remastered edition wouldn't have that stupid mistake which puts the end of OTH at the start of Exit!

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

From what I can tell, Exit starts clean on the British version, but I never noticed OTH on the beginning of it on the US version. Also, JT is a mid-line price in Britain (I got it for 9.99 in pounds, I think that is about $13.00) where as it is a full price disc here in the US.

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
From what I can tell, Exit starts clean on the British version, but I never noticed OTH on the beginning of it on the US version.

It's not like that on every North American CD version, apparently, but a lot of people have that one. It's just irritating.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Back
Top Bottom