U2 buy office in Amsterdam(Holland) ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utoo said:

I know. And with the new buildings coming, they're not physically moving out any time in the foreseeable future. I think it's just the symbolic move that might irritate some.

Ahh business is business.

I remember they would go off to Canada and Mexico for a couple days during the US legs for some tax reason too.

ntalwar said:

What you fail to realize is that it is possible for U2 to escape the taxation, but not for the ordinary taxpayer. This is why some of the ordinary Irish citizens are upset - because of the double standard. They would like the same loophole too - why can't they have it?

BUT.... U2 do pay taxes on many things. Any property is taxed. Purchases are taxed. Probably their studio is taxed. Touring money is taxed. T-shirts are taxed.

If I recall, the only thing Ireland changed was the upper limit on the "artists tax law" - I think it's 150K Euro now. So if an artist makes over that amount, he/she has to pay taxes on it. U2 do make more than that. So I'm sure to help them with what would otherwise be an even LARGER tax bill than what they already pay, some of it was set elsewhere. This is very common - in fact, the U.S. even has encouraged it (by giving tax breaks to businesses to set up shop in certain areas!). So why all the fuss here is beyond my comprehension. It's not like the U2 members are suddenly not paying any taxes to Ireland, but enjoying all the benefits. They probably pay oceans more than the average citizen.

Salome said:
Larry, Adam, Bono + Edge is a band
U2 is a company
and people are paid quite a bit of money to make the best financial decisions for this company

in my opinion the people advising them would be doing a lousy job not to tell them to do this

I absolutely agree. If they have this possibility to save money by paying a bit fewer taxes, and charges in the Netherlands, why on earth they wouldn't do it?

I suppose, any other irish musicians have the same right if they establish an ltd in the Netherlands.

Anyway, U2 has been spent lots of money to give donations (eg.:I read somewhere, that last year they spent 6 million USA dollars to help african countries to get clear water, and wheat..What about other rock bands? ) and if they spare money on taxes, maybe they can make more donations...

There's a difference between U2 the band and U2 the organisation.
Band still lives and records in Ireland so they did not "betray" Ireland. The irish governement changed the favourable law on taxes, so U2 organisation re-considered paying (some of) taxes. It's not like they moved their finances into some fishy bank on Cayman Islands.
I'm pretty sure they still pay a lot more than the average Irish people.

considering bono wants irish tax payers to pump more money into Africa this seems very hypocritical.

poor PR desicion
great business

This reminds me of what I thought when I heard Bono speak at the National Prayer Breakfast.

1 percent, that's all we ask for. An additional 1 percent.

Well, as this story clearly shows, the ones that are gonna pay that extra 1 percent are not the rich, like Bono himself. They'll find all the loopholes that helped make them so rich in the first place.

Bono is asking people in general to pay more taxes for Africa, and yet he tries to avoid paying taxes himself. That's ludicrous.

Being rich doesn't mean you don't contribute to charity. (Bill Gates foundation?)

I also think "Bono is a rich and spoiled star, so I won't do anything about Africa" excuse is ludicrous. Right up there with the old "shut up and stick with singing" since 1987.

U2girl said:
Being rich doesn't mean you don't contribute to charity. (Bill Gates foundation?)

I also think "Bono is a rich and spoiled star, so I won't do anything about Africa" excuse is ludicrous. Right up there with the old "shut up and stick with singing" since 1987.

I don't think anyone said that the rich don't contribute to charity. What was said was that they often try to avoid paying taxes.

Nor have I seen anyone in here say that they won't ever do anything for Africa because "Bono is a rich and spoiled rock star". But Bono might be less convincing to people when they realize that he, apparently, doesn't want to pay taxes himself. How could an ordinary Irish person take him seriously when he asks the Irish government (and people) to pay more taxes for the benefit of Africa? It's very simple: If you don't live by your own standards, you lose credibility.

Last edited:
to be fair to u2 , this doesnt mean they have stopped giving to charity , people forget how much they do for causes.

Cotributing to charity at least you know where the money is going, paying taxes most of the time just goes to lining government officials pockets and never to the people that need it most.

U2Man said:

I don't think anyone said that the rich don't contribute to charity. What was said was that they often try to avoid paying taxes.

Nor have I seen anyone in here say that they won't ever do anything for Africa because "Bono is a rich and spoiled rock star". But Bono might be less convincing to people when they realize that he, apparently, doesn't want to pay taxes himself. How could an ordinary Irish person take him seriously when he asks the Irish government (and people) to pay more taxes for the benefit of Africa? It's very simple: If you don't live by your own standards, you lose credibility.

The U2 organisation is avoiding paying taxes, the band will probably still pay various taxes as long as they live in Ireland and their music is sold there and whenever they tour there.

Yes, rich try to avoid taxes - maybe because they tend to pay more taxes than average people. Ordinary people look to pay as little when filling out their annual tax reports too.

I also think Bono's tax paying (even though this isn't technically about the band) and whether or not Irish government will pay anything for the benefit of Africa are two separate things.

what baffles me the most is that people make this out to be "a loophole"
a loophole even that only the filthy rich are able to exploit

I live in the south in The Netherlands about 5 minutes away from Belgium
just over the border all the bigger houses belong to Dutch people who have moved there because of favourable Belgian tax rates and because houses (especially land really) is cheaper there

do any of you really think that these people used "a loophole" in the (tax) law?
do you even think these people are indeed incredible rich and just therefore able to do this?
because you would be wrong on both accounts

what U2 is doing here is even less drastic
as has been pointed out Bono still lives in Ireland and pays his taxes there
most of the U2 company is still set in Ireland and still pays taxes there

now
U2girl said:
It's not like they moved their finances into some fishy bank on Cayman Islands.
if this has happened there would have been something to complain about
no denying of hypocrisy then
as the situation is now I don't really see why anyone would have a problem with it

I thought U2 was part of the "U2 organisation".

Tax paying and whether or not the government will give anything for the benefit of Africa are not two seperate things. The government only controls tax payers' money, and if they give more money to Africa, there will be less money for hospitals, schools, social security etc. in Ireland. That probably matters less to someone like Bono, but it might matter to any common Irish person.

Loophole....hmm...that's just a fight about words, isn't it? You're probably right, but regardless of whether it's a loophole or not, it has the same effect, right? You avoid some taxes.

And yes, we all try to avoid paying taxes, but how many try to avoid paying taxes while simultaneously asking our government to send more money to the poor? Bono would be better off if he would just donate to charity instead of asking his government (and the Irish people) to use tax money for the same purpose.

Last edited:
What the government does with the tax payers's money is the government's choice, and if people don't like it they can talk to their elected authority.

I don't see how asking for aid (not necessarily money) for Africa automatically means not caring how much money goes to hospitals, schools etc.. in Ireland. That "1 percent" won't send everyone starving on the streets in the developed world. It might, however, make a difference in the world of real "have nots".

True, but how many make as much money in their jobs as U2? Bono can sell his posessions, donate the money and go begging on the street tomorrow, if that's more street-cred. Better and more effective on the long run - no.

ps: (06-26-2005) U2 to Donate Millions to Africa -- contactmusic*

U2 to Donate Millions to Africa

Irish rockers U2 will donate $6 million (GBP3.3 million) of their own money towards eliminating poverty in Africa.

BONO, ADAM CLAYTON, THE EDGE and LARRY MULLAN, who will be performing at the London leg of next Saturday's (02JUL05) LIVE 8 in Hyde Park, will each make a donation from profits of their current VERTIGO tour.

A source says, "The band and their manager PAUL McGUINNESS are giving about one million euro ($1,200,000/GBP665,000) each.

"It would seem hypocritical if they were asking people to help the charity effort and weren't doing something themselves.

"But their personal gesture is not something they are going to boost."

--contactmusic

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

BUT.... U2 do pay taxes on many things. Any property is taxed. Purchases are taxed. Probably their studio is taxed. Touring money is taxed. T-shirts are taxed.

I doubt touring money is taxed in Ireland anymore. By law, after a few years of spending only a few months on Irish soil (less than 4-6 months per year), they can shed the requirement to pay Irish income tax.

From atu2.com:

Wednesday, August 09, 2006- The Guardian newspaper weighs in:atu2.blogspot.com/ ( full article here: www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1840316,00.html)which notes:

"Corporation tax in Ireland is only 12.5pc. The standard rate of personal tax is 20pc, rising to a top rate of 42pc. The band had been able to claim artists' tax relief as songwriters, but the scheme did not cover income from tours and performances.

...U2's donations to aid organisations have always remained anonymous, although the royalties from several of their songs have been given to charities.

The band will continue to live and work in Ireland, paying other taxes, an industry source told the Guardian. Like other bands, the source added, U2 "try to be as tax efficient as possible". Principle Management, which controls U2's financial affairs, would not comment.

U2girl said:
Like other bands, the source added, U2 "try to be as tax efficient as possible". Principle Management, which controls U2's financial affairs, would not comment.

If they can shift their catalog operations overseas to avoid taxation, I'm sure they've done the same with their touring operations long ago. Escpecially since the touring money is earned abroad. I'm sure they pay income tax on their Irish shows though.

ETA - the fact that the Rolling Stones paid only 1.6% income tax on $150M in earnings last year suggests U2 can do the same. Also, the money for the Stones is handled in the Dutch Antilles, a tax haven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom